Aecon Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Teri McKibbon

1. Calculate loads and design HVAC systems for new construction buildings and/or renovations; create whole building models

Pros

Great bosses and multiple company events

Cons

Pay is too low for degree

2. Clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what it actually is

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Aecon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, there are very few positives to being here. Of those, we have solid benefits and, personally, my co-workers are a lot of fun and help me make it through the week. Sadly, that's about it. Aecon is doing very little to retain me as an employee.

Cons

Get ready for a good read! There's a clear difference between what Aecon says it is and what actually happens here. Aecon is continually on the "Best Employers in Canada" list, but our scores - which are shown to employees in HR-led meetings/witch hunts - are laughably low. Despite the Best Employers survey being anonymous, management tries to figure out who gave low scorings or made negative comments that are meant as discussion pieces toward positive change. Anything brought up in these meetings is made an action item and quickly forgotten about. Nothing ever changes and the same mistakes are made year after year. Management continues to take on more work when there's no capacity for it. There are weeks where you can't even get out of your chair for lunch in order to make a deadline. In meetings, management stands behind the fact that there's no budget to hire more bodies to take on the ever-increasing work loads. They blame the company's target EBITDA. Meanwhile, the existing team members are miserable and disengaged. If someone quits (happens a lot), their work load is cut up and distributed to the team. We are severely understaffed and demoralized, which leads to a semi-toxic environment filled with passive aggressive behaviour. Aecon's career advancement system is severely flawed. Without exaggerating, everyone here is a vice president of something, even if they have no one working under them. Everyone is entitled to advance their career every few years with little to no raise, so employees move up until they hit a fictitious ceiling. There's a lot of lateral movement where employees change job titles but do the exact same job. Right now, I do the work of three employees on the same pay grade that I started at two years ago. A large portion of my work load right now isn't even in my job description. Talk about the company getting bang for their buck. I'm over-extended and completely disengaged. Management will make decisions without your expertise on projects you're expected to deliver. You're hired for your skill set and knowledge but they won't tap into it to build an efficient foundation for success. Instead, they will drive the project without knowing what it takes to reach the end product. It's like forcing a ship captain to fly an airplane. All that matters is getting it done as fast as possible. This leads to a lot of wasted time, mistakes being made and immense frustration. Voicing your opinion about concerns leads to hostility and defensive behaviour from management. There's an unnatural obsession with over-delivering when everyone should be managing expectations and grounding promises in realism. Aecon is very reactive to situations, at least in my department. You're never given enough logical time to complete a project. You're expected to perform miracles in half the time that's physically needed. If you do turn water into wine, you're given a handshake and told to do it again. Aecon will take everything you give them with very little reward, which I suspect is universal within corporate culture. Meetings are of very little value and last way too long. They're often scheduled to meet the needs of someone in senior management, which means they will almost always be at the end of the day an hour before you normally go home. Expect to stay late listening to the same three people talking for three hours about subjects that are of no concern to your deliverables. Work-life balance is hit and miss. You will receive emails all hours of the day, will be called on your cell while you're driving into work at 6:30 a.m., and will have to come into work on a scheduled vacation day (no joke). I've received emails on holidays and at hours when you should be romancing your spouse. By far, one of the worst aspects of working at Aecon, or in Toronto for that matter, is the commute. I spend 12 hours a week driving. That's a work day and a half with no pay. I also use a tank of gas in five days. I arrive angry, perform my job angry and pull into my driveway angry. This is no way to live your life. I'm sure all of these things are universal issues people have with their jobs, but I'm over being beaten down. I invite you to stand up against the same if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. You will always find another job and life will go on without you. Find happiness for yourself while you're still here.

Advice to Management

They won't read this, so it doesn't even make a difference. They need to read my "Cons" and figure it out for themselves. I make it pretty clear.

3. project manager

Current Employee - Ontario in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Ontario in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aecon (More than 8 years)

Pros

growing well position for major projects

Cons

legacy deals with employees salary moving pieces

5. stable company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aecon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good, stable company to work for.

Cons

none. very good company to work for.

Advice to Management

keep up a good job.

6. Electrician

Current Employee - Electrician in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Electrician in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Aecon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, great group of people to work with at the Sherwood Park North Mod Yard. Management is accessible and actively communicates with the workforce.

Cons

Tends to be a bit "cliquey", but that only seems to be an issue for those with interpersonal communication issues. Not much face time with management but they are around.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing! It seems to be working well. Really enjoy working here and am hopeful that the job will last for many years to come.

7. Good

Pros

good working environment however hours can be long

Cons

hard work is not recongnized unless you are in the club

8. old boys club, good luck moving up in this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aecon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good projects with a variety of medium and large scaled endeavors, good safety culture, a lot of people in the same boat

Cons

old boys club, management only promotes buddies, hard work does not grant recognition, good luck trying to be someone at this company

Advice to Management

where to begin; stop holding people back who have proven themselves and are due for promotions, stop favoring old colleagues, start recognizing hard working contributors, when you give someone a challenging assignment do not dismiss their achievements when they rise above expectations

9. I worked at Fort Hills for Aecon

Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

Pros

They have some good contracts and reasonable benefits. High potential

Cons

Management here is appalling to say the least. You often are expected to do jobs that are not your field and then fired for making small mistakes. Management is constantly threatening their employees with dismissal. No support or mentoring. Corruption is obvious. Supervisors and managers stacking the deck with their buddies and neighbors from back home. Regardless of skill or experience. They make no effort to retain qualified employees. Incident coverups, misleading reports, completely corrupt. I have never hated working anywhere as much as I hated working at Fort Hills for Aecon.

Advice to Management

CLEAN HOUSE IN THAT FORT MCMURRAY DIVISION AND TRY AGAIN!

10. Summer student

Pros

Benefits, salary, location, office , career growth

Cons

Overtime, Workload, poor team players

11. Toxic culture with poor leadership & no work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Aecon full-time

Pros

Stock options, benefits, health & wellness benefits

Cons

Unsupportive management with lack of leadership and vision. Long hours with low pay. Lots of rework & waste of resources.

Advice to Management

End the nepotism. Too many relatives being hired. Leads to poor morale. Develop managers. Many don't have emotional intelligence (people skills).

RSS Feed </> Embed