Aegis Living Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
4.5

Dwayne Clark

Pros
  • Aegis is made up of a family of co-workers making life better for each other, residents and families (in 7 reviews)

• It truly is an employee first company in every way (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a lot of responsibility to provide the best care and service for seniors which requires having enough employees to give their 100% every day (in 5 reviews)

• Best company around, there are no cons (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Started great, went downhill.

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work if you have the right people.

Cons

Values have declined over time. Training is dismal with no oversight. Leadership turnover was dubiously high and accountability frighteningly low.

They don't take advice. Especially from employees.

Politics over Residents

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is that the Residents and Families value you.

Cons

Crabs in a barrel. The titles go to the heads of management. If you are not in the GMs inner circle, any hearsay is valid without you knowing what's been said. One-sided

Corporate should monitor turnover and facility management closer

Very difficult

Former Employee - Service Director
    Former Employee - Service Director

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary was market or above.

Cons

Upper management were not supportive. Management fired all the time. Care poor to residents . Care ratios high. 8-12 dementia per care manager. No advancement for care staff. No raises during 5 years as director. Care staff no raises.

If you are hiring a third group of management in one year there is something wrong with corporate not new staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Care Manager

Former Employee - Care Manager  in  Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Care Manager in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zero pros that had to do with the company. Some of the residents were sweet though.

Cons

Pay barely above minimun wage for very serious and heavy work load. Zero respect from supervisors and "Executive Directors." Way too high patient to caregiver ratio. All around bad care system. They understaff caregivers and then yell at them for not answering calls fast enough, truly frustrating.

Stop being so concerned with the bottom line and staff enough caregivers to give proper care.

Wellness staff

Current Employee - Wellness Staff  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Wellness Staff in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good medical, great coworkers, enjoy time with residents, great lil benes-$1 meal etc, seems to really work at pleasing families

Cons

Admin doesn't keep his word- promised staff certain amount to do 1:1 with needy resident then after a few weeks of very hard work by employees he says: OH SORRY ONLY time and a half-nothing I can do. UNTRUE.
    SEVERAL ROOMS HAVE BEDBUGS & their dragging their feet getting rid of them, just sprayed, now reappeared and still biting residents.
    Frankly I'm disgusted.

Consider honoring and respecting employees and keep your word. Respect residents enough to stop the infestations, just leads to poor care.

Beneath the surface

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

You can feel good about what you're doing for others. The team members, for the most part, are wonderful people. There is very little micro managing. Corporate events are fun.

Cons

The hours employees put in are many and there is no reward for hard work. Executives aren't open to ideas and suggestions for improvement. Much of the sentiment expressed seems to be just for show.

Don't let the culture that's been built slip away

Marketing Director

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the elderly. Busy, challenging (not boring!), Very hard working group of peers - I found them to be inspiring. Everyone works hard and hustles!

Cons

Generally speaking, LOTS OF EMPLOYEE TURNOVER. Not good for residents and harder to do your job as a Marketing Director (can't build trust with families).

Very competitive/cutthroat. If you don't cut their mustard, they let you go very quickly (sometimes without so much as a warning). I wasn't fired for the record, I left on my own volition, but I saw many MDs around me let go and it created a lot of fear/disillusionment. MDs can be the scapegoat for EDs.

As they grow, they don't seem to notice that their values are becoming increasingly compromised. The kool aid is diluted! Corporate seemed to turn blind eye to GMs that fill up building, but don't treat staff well.

Last, but not least, I hated offering promises to families of loved ones about fabulous activities, which were immediately cut when census dropped. It was disheartening not to deliver. Penny pinching practices.

One of the most successful GMs was a bully behind closed doors and practices unethical behavior.

I love the residents.

Current Employee - Lead Medtech CNA
    Current Employee - Lead Medtech CNA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The residents who live at Aegis are what keeps me there.

Cons

They do not hire qualified people,which doubles the work load for the qualified employees.

Raise the pay and raise the expectations for performance.The standards for training new hires is very poor.
    Recently, Aegis hired a person right out of cna school. He was trained by a person who had been with Aegis for two weeks. He was promoted to lead with exactly one month experience as a cna while management overlooked other better qualified employees. So the blind are leading the blind and management does not care. Duane Clark does not care about anyone but himself and his bank account.

Very disappointing experience. Residents and family members should be top priority.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aptos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA

I worked at Aegis Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pleasant work surroundings, beautiful and clean environment. Residents and family members are great. Staff overall are very nice and polite.

Cons

Communication between management and staff is lacking. Staff including management at times behave as if they are in a regular workplace not a place where people live. Poor scheduling by management and not enough care managers for the residents. Residents needs and family members concern often disregarded by upper management. Upper management many times exhibit unprofessional behavior and make negative comments about a resident or family member to other staff members. Life Neighborhood lacking in activities and only a few care managers seem to understand the importance of engaging the residents. Residents for majority of time watch tv which is turned up too loud while care managers text or eat.

Take time to orient a new employee with the facility and introduce them to staff on their first day. Be proactive rather then reactive. Communicate with staff and spend more time engaging residents when they are in the lobby or when there is entertainment. Residents needs and concerns should be a higher priority then getting a meal from the kitchen or making sure that their are fresh flowers in the lobby. I really respect Dwayne Clark and his blog really resonated with me as I have always had a genuine care and respect for seniors. I don't think Aegis of Aptos is a good representation of Aegis as a whole.

directionless

Former Employee - Activity Director  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Activity Director in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Aegis Living

Pros

good salary, great cooworkers, great resources

Cons

Poor communication from managing director to staff.
    Great resident resource, which could have been better utilized

spend time with senior staff and give better direction.

Worked for Aegis Living? Contribute to the Community!