Aegis Living Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

4.6

Dwayne Clark

Pros
  • Aegis is made up of a family of co-workers making life better for each other, residents and families (in 7 reviews)

• It truly is an employee first company in every way (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a lot of responsibility to provide the best care and service for seniors which requires having enough employees to give their 100% every day (in 5 reviews)

• Best company around, there are no cons (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Doesn't feel like "WORK"

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you share a passion for Seniors and want to help by working in a loving environment, Aegis Living is the right company for you. It does take a lot of emotional and physical work, but worth it when someone calls you their adopted grandchild or simply show appreciation and gratitude. The company is growing, and they are open to suggestions and ways to make things better for employees, residents and family members.

Cons

The only thing I would say is limited opportunities to grow and advance in your position. Since we are growing, I hope to see more opportunity for growth in the future.

A rewarding experience!

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Director  in  Aptos, CA
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Director in Aptos, CA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is considerable flexibility in terms of your own creative approach on the job. I have been fortunate to be able experiment with various activities for my residents to improve the quality of their experience. This is something that is really important to me. In terms of promotions, the general manager appreciates talent and is keen to promote the right people if they show dedications and resolve.

Cons

The cons come a little in conflict with the pros, they don't necessarily have to, but in this case they do. I think at the local level our company would benefit from more clearly defined structure. This could improve the integrity of our teams to function especially under high stress situations.

The company values are the core of our organization and what really sets us apart. If we can strengthen those core values through a little more structure, flexibility in our approach, and resolve then the sky is the limit for our team.

Excellence in assisted-living care that also translates to excellent employees.

Current Employee - Public Relations Director  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Public Relations Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aegis Living as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

When I first began, the people here welcomed me with a special sign on my office window and immediately I felt like I was part of the team! It's a true family here and the people are absolutely wonderful!

Cons

It's a challenging industry but by working hard and generating results, what a rewarding experience.

One of the best things about management and I encourage them to continue it, are the "stand-up" meetings on Mondays where we go through the CEO's positive messages and personal responsibilities etc. Excellent motivator to begin the week!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Director

Current Employee - Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

This is a company that welcomes people who like to lead. They are super entrepreneurial and welcome ideas from all staff members no matter what your position. The people we serve are amazing people and we try to make each day special for them. I balance work and family with kids and have found the management flexible and accommodating. It's hard to put a dollar value on that. Salary is competitive though with others. I had another offer and took Aegis because it was better and I got a great vibe from my tour and interviews.

Cons

I don't think that most people give this industry a look because they stereotype. Aegis is not a company that people should stereotype.

Would love to see more interns so that we can get young people interested in this industry. We all know the impact of the baby boomers and the "silver tsunami" that's headed our way. Young people can learn a lot and give a lot.

Started great, went downhill.

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work if you have the right people.

Cons

Values have declined over time. Training is dismal with no oversight. Leadership turnover was dubiously high and accountability frighteningly low.

They don't take advice. Especially from employees.

Politics over Residents

Current Employee - Care Manager
    Current Employee - Care Manager

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is that the Residents and Families value you.

Cons

Crabs in a barrel. The titles go to the heads of management. If you are not in the GMs inner circle, any hearsay is valid without you knowing what's been said. One-sided

Corporate should monitor turnover and facility management closer

Beneath the surface

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time

Pros

You can feel good about what you're doing for others. The team members, for the most part, are wonderful people. There is very little micro managing. Corporate events are fun.

Cons

The hours employees put in are many and there is no reward for hard work. Executives aren't open to ideas and suggestions for improvement. Much of the sentiment expressed seems to be just for show.

Don't let the culture that's been built slip away

Marketing Director

Former Employee - Marketing Director
    Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at Aegis Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the elderly. Busy, challenging (not boring!), Very hard working group of peers - I found them to be inspiring. Everyone works hard and hustles!

Cons

Generally speaking, LOTS OF EMPLOYEE TURNOVER. Not good for residents and harder to do your job as a Marketing Director (can't build trust with families).

Very competitive/cutthroat. If you don't cut their mustard, they let you go very quickly (sometimes without so much as a warning). I wasn't fired for the record, I left on my own volition, but I saw many MDs around me let go and it created a lot of fear/disillusionment. MDs can be the scapegoat for EDs.

As they grow, they don't seem to notice that their values are becoming increasingly compromised. The kool aid is diluted! Corporate seemed to turn blind eye to GMs that fill up building, but don't treat staff well.

Last, but not least, I hated offering promises to families of loved ones about fabulous activities, which were immediately cut when census dropped. It was disheartening not to deliver. Penny pinching practices.

One of the most successful GMs was a bully behind closed doors and practices unethical behavior.

I love the residents.

Current Employee - Lead Medtech CNA
    Current Employee - Lead Medtech CNA

I have been working at Aegis Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The residents who live at Aegis are what keeps me there.

Cons

They do not hire qualified people,which doubles the work load for the qualified employees.

Raise the pay and raise the expectations for performance.The standards for training new hires is very poor.
    Recently, Aegis hired a person right out of cna school. He was trained by a person who had been with Aegis for two weeks. He was promoted to lead with exactly one month experience as a cna while management overlooked other better qualified employees. So the blind are leading the blind and management does not care. Duane Clark does not care about anyone but himself and his bank account.

Very disappointing experience. Residents and family members should be top priority.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aptos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aptos, CA

I worked at Aegis Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pleasant work surroundings, beautiful and clean environment. Residents and family members are great. Staff overall are very nice and polite.

Cons

Communication between management and staff is lacking. Staff including management at times behave as if they are in a regular workplace not a place where people live. Poor scheduling by management and not enough care managers for the residents. Residents needs and family members concern often disregarded by upper management. Upper management many times exhibit unprofessional behavior and make negative comments about a resident or family member to other staff members. Life Neighborhood lacking in activities and only a few care managers seem to understand the importance of engaging the residents. Residents for majority of time watch tv which is turned up too loud while care managers text or eat.

Take time to orient a new employee with the facility and introduce them to staff on their first day. Be proactive rather then reactive. Communicate with staff and spend more time engaging residents when they are in the lobby or when there is entertainment. Residents needs and concerns should be a higher priority then getting a meal from the kitchen or making sure that their are fresh flowers in the lobby. I really respect Dwayne Clark and his blog really resonated with me as I have always had a genuine care and respect for seniors. I don't think Aegis of Aptos is a good representation of Aegis as a whole.

Worked for Aegis Living? Contribute to the Community!