Aegis Sciences Corp

3.4

David L. Black

its ok

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

decent pay, nice people, decent benefits

Cons

tough work hours, understaffed, disconnect between upper management and lab employees

Work Environment

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has a lot of perks for employees. Chick-fil-a day; mole day. Free tickets to Titans games and symphonies.

Cons

Favortism. Managers tend to have their favorites or things are done or not done to make certain people happy.

Great if you're in the Administrative offices, less than great if you're in the lab

Current Employee - Forensic Mass Spectrometrist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Forensic Mass Spectrometrist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Bonus Program. Quarterly Bonuses and Yearly Christmas Bonuses. Team work is a great focus and many events are held to promote team and family spirit.

Cons

Pay is no longer competitive and management is under constant stress to increase production rates making them crack down on employees and essentially ask them be more than one person. Schedules keep changing and aren't run by employees. They try so hard to make everyone happy that essentially everyone is unhappy. Constantly asked to come in for overtime. Employee turn over is high, so someone is always having to be trained and experienced people are limited. Work/life balance is... unbalanced. Work always comes first and your personal life is none of their concern.

Stop trying to grow faster than possible Just because instrument capacity is available does not mean that employees can keep up with that, especially when instruments are being taken by R&D or are just broken. Taking a beat to perfect practices instead of increasing production levels may help increase morale and prevent employees from feeling over worked

Ok to work for if you don't mind the national or internal politics and favoritism.

I worked at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

You get quite a bit of paid time off, which is nice. Problem is you can't always take it when you want because of the possibility of falling behind.

Cons

Where do I begin....
    -lack of training. In my department, we were only taught as much as was necessary to do our jobs (for the most part). When asked to be taught more, we were denied. My assumption was that it was so the supervisor would actually have a purpose. Otherwise she was useless and created more problems than fixed.
    -Definitely favoritism played by management. In my particular department, if you weren't the cheerleader type (not in referring just to looks, but in personality), you were at a disadvatage. Management had their favorites and when an entire department had serious complaints about the supervisor, they were ignored. Unfortunately having favorites means that those people had choice of holidays off (which were usually all of the major ones), weren't held to the same standard as the rest of us and their issues that caused major complications within a department were overlooked.
    -Lots of money wasted. Instead of using money to entice departments to make sure projects were done on time or rewarding those who beat their error goal, money and time was wasted on things like book clubs (where the books were corporate propoganda that are based on "positive thinking" and not reality) and programs where we were told to buy stuff for each other. I get it, but when we're having to work overtime to get the work done, why is it necessary to take 3 hours out of my day to discuss a book that states that it is our negative thoughts that are the only things standing in the way of us being CEO's (not lack of experience, knowledge, qualifications, etc)? Or if I am already living from paycheck to paycheck, why am I being forced to buy something for someone who hasn't responded to a simple hello (got to love that cheerleader/clique mentality)? Also, they spent millions remodeling an old building, and while that is nice, my department was forced to work on a ground floor room that was infested with cockroaches (very large ones) and mice/rats. Millions of dollars invested in making the building nice for all other departments, but we had a hole in one wall that led to the outside and fearless cockroaches that were 3-4" long and ran across our desk at any given moment.
    -Managers who clearly are mentally unstable and cause major issues for the majority of their department (except for their best friend) are just ignored. No one has any real idea how to unobjectively run a department. It is quite frustrating when you can't even go to your boss' boss or even your boss' boss' boss and get a decent resolution.
    -Head management changed right before I left, but it was quite clear that this was a republican organization. Personally, I don't care which side you're on, but you should keep politics out of the workplace. Unfortunately, you will be emailed right wing rants about Planned Parenthood, Girl Scouts, etc. I and quite a few other people purchased Girl Scout cookies from a fellow employee, but because it was revealed that Girl Scouts support Planned Parenthood, Girl Scout cookies were banned from all buildings. A cookie. We had to pick up our orders out of cars in the parking lot like were doing a drug trade. Ridiculous. They also purchased Chik-fil-a on a regular basis. While it's always nice to get a free meal, this was only done to support the company's anti-gay stance. Why would a company try to possibly alienate their own employees?

Then they hound the employees to vote them as the best company to work for. Working there (at least in my department) played an emotional toll on my mental health. To go to work every day where your supervisor is clearly unstable and knowing that nothing you do really matters because you're not in the inner circle on top of having corporate and right-wing propoganda shoved down your throat at all times is just overwhelming.

When the majority of a department has major issues with their supervisor, do not sweep it under the rug. Unfortunately being a manager means sometimes having to discipline your "friends." Your team building efforts aren't going to be effective if you continue to encourage favoritism and obvious separation by departments. Listen to your employees. You encouraged ideas, but the second I made a suggestion, I was interrupted and told that something is already in place (which it wasn't...). Tone down the egos as well. Everyone is so threatened by anyone who has ideas, that instead of building a strong team that can have open discussions, you have employees who don't speak up because it's clear none of you will listen out of fear for your jobs. If you were doing your jobs, then you wouldn't have to be threatened and so insecure.

Great Company

Current Employee - Collection Tech in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Collection Tech in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work, great environment, If you like to work independently this would be a great job for you.

Cons

No room for advancement within the company. headquarters are in Nashville TN.

Great!

Current Employee - Collection Tech
    Current Employee - Collection Tech

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people and a good company to work for.

Cons

None at all the moment.

Just prepare for behavior questions.

Depends on your department

I worked at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are very nice. The human resource department was very well organized. Pay is average, but they are looking for a deal with most employees. Top management really likes to eat and they have plenty of meetings with food.

Cons

Some managers are not nice to their employees. Poor training to new employees. Their company is very disorganized and don't have any idea of what they are spending internally. They just buy whatever they want with their "preferred partners" with very little planning.

Need much better training for employees. - Don't feed people all of time and pay the employees. You have some management issues that you are not recognizing.

Middle management will be its downfall but I enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Forensic Chemist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Forensic Chemist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few gems in the middle management team but they don't work at the main lab any more. These few people made the job worth it. It is a young company in terms of growth and development which at times was nice. Upper management seems to have a very strong command of their market and, in my opinion, are great individuals. They seem to truly care about their employees and are very approachable despite their high titles. If you are a new grad or looking for experience, this is a great place to get some.

Cons

Most of lab middle management is a joke. IMO, your job as middle management is to handle situations that you are qualified to handle. If you can't, you must then relay that to the next person in the pecking order. Rather, middle management hides issues and lies to upper management. There is a great disconnect between upper management and middle management which will ultimately be the demise of Aegis if not corrected. Again, this is my opinion based on my experience. What is happening in lab directly effects how upper management models and plans for the future. Additionally, some of middle management is too concerned about their own position and how they are perceived. You are a manager. You need to be able to talk to those you manage without being timid, worried you will offend, or worried they will steal your job. You are required to treat those you management equally. We are not friends. You manage people, and by texting and gossiping with select employees, you instill resentment in the rest of your team. Give credit to those you manage for hard work and ideas they present. I had ideas stolen and reworked as management's ideas. Not OK...

For example, one of the labs is a 24/7 operation. The employees at this lab work very hard and accept less than ideal hours. The hours are necessary though and most employees understand that. The problem is that the managers aren't giving any incentive to their employees other than here's-your-paycheck. Rather, there is an air of "you're lucky you have a job" and "do this or be fired" in that lab. Favoritism runs rampant and hard work/intelligence is not necessarily going to get you ahead. Turn over is pretty high simply because there is no incentive to stay under a manager who doesn't treat you well. The most telling thing is that when you ask those working night shift why they do, most say because they don't have to deal with management. That, to me, is a huge red flag.

Hire a consultant to come in and clean house of poor management. You have the minds and infrastructure to continue to succeed, but only if quality management is put in place. Your worker bees need people who motivate and inspire them. Current lab management does neither of these things. I came on bright eyed and eager to please and left confused and betrayed because of lower/middle management. You are a different/better company than you were 3 years ago. The people put into management when the company was small need to be removed.

Great people..poor middle management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp full-time

Pros

Great benefits and bonus structure. Lot's of perks and "fun" stuff....food, parties, give aways. Good yearly raises. Upper management and President care and it shows when they come and talk to you one on one. I spoke to the President on a regular basis, they were even there on holidays looking in on their employees.

Cons

VERY POOR middle management. On more than one occassion I witnessed co-workers disciplined or worse terminated, after others made accusations or told blatant lies to get them fired. Even after the truth was presented to management, they still went through with disciplinary actions. Also, some employees are shown extreme favoritism.

Excellent Company that takes care of their employees

Current Employee - Collection Tech in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Collection Tech in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Aegis Sciences Corp

Pros

This company is top notch and they are very supportive and give excellent training for the position. They have on going training, incentive programs including bonuses for employees. They offer an excellent competitive benefits package and wages with increases available. They are excellent communicators with their employees and make sure that all the needs are met within the company and the employees. They offer really great services to several different organizations and they are active in community drives and outreach. This company has high ethical standards and is probably one of the best organizations I have worked for.

Cons

Wish there were more advancement opportunities located outside of the main company within their satellite sites.

Management is doing an excellent job and they are 100% committed to their cause and to their employees and please stay this way because not very many companies out there are this consistent.