Aegis Therapies

Updated December 8, 2014
2.2

Aegis Therapies President Martha Schram
Martha Schram

Pros
  • Fellow therapists and RPC in my building are good co-workers who's primary focus is to provide the best care we can to patients (in 3 reviews)

• Outstanding clinical programs; outcomes; competitive salaries for staff therapists (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity expectations are high for the large amount of non-billable tasks we are required to do each day (in 10 reviews)

• The only way to provide required levels of productivity is to provide point of service documentation (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good steady work

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

Ok good place to work

Cons

Stressful too many things to try to do

93% productivity. Really

Good company who cares about it's patients

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Downs, KS
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Downs, KS

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ageis seemed like a pretty good company. They generally cared about patients and took time to deal with patients instead of trying to cram as many as possible into a work day. The pay was excellent and the benefits were pretty good.

Cons

I was in a small rural area. They weren't exactly new grad friendly and there was no mentorship of any kind. I would not recommend this job to anyone who is a new grad but if you have some experience under your belt this was a pretty good place. There is a lot of traveling involved and the scheduling is unpredictable.

My experience has been great thus far at Aegis tTerapies

Current Employee - COTA/L in Shelby, NC
    Current Employee - COTA/L in Shelby, NC

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff from top to bottom are willing to help when a new co-worker ask questions or needs help.

Cons

Small rehab gym. An hour away from my home. Not enough PRN people for coverage when we need to take PTO time

I have had no issues with management thus far.

Director of Rehabilitation

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Continues to educate therapists. Supportive AVP, and HR staff. The work is challenging and constanty changing, however the corporate teams keep us updated and push for best practices and ethical work environment.

Cons

GOLDENLIVING CENTERS!!!! We need out, this is not a partnership in which our Therapist want their License hanging on!

Aegis Regional Vice President's should be a huge part in educating the Goldenliving AVP's and Administrators on what we do and don't do. They are all completely clueless to liability and PCT aspects along with Policies.

Frustrating , disappointing, and discouraged.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was better than being unemployed

Cons

After repeated complaints from several therapists concerning management which all was ignored with complaints of lack of leadership and unprofessionalism.

To look at the long term effect of the decisions they make not just the here and now. Management demonstrated no empathy toward their employees with a do it our way approach or you can leave. Also when they calculate their 95 % productivity rate that you must acheive they have not calculated your 2 15 minutes breaks. For if they had the productivity rate would drop to 85%. Many members of management demonstrated no common sense or simply a lack of humanity. Arent they managing a healthcare field which requires empathy toward those we care for in our field.

Micro-managed

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay straight out of grad school was good.

Cons

Productivity requirements were unethical! Full benefits but expensive and kept raising. Upper management kept micro-managing and pushing ideas onto therapist when they did not agree... after all the therapists are the ones with the degrees and know their patients best. No breaks whatsoever.

Stop micromanaging and pushing your therapists to the edge. Your productivity requirements are insane and unethical - im sorry but throwing a patient on a bike and writting POS documentation is not ethical. Stop making your therapists log in every single minute of every single day - including when you go to the bathroom.

Unethical company who clearly does not value quality of service and patients' best interests.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Aegis Therapies (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules are available. Opportunity to work closely with an interdisciplinary team.

Cons

Those who said they want a warm body are correct. High productivity expectations, which they claim they do not have.
    If you don't say you are completely satisfied with your employment on the year end survey, you receive fewer 'points' on your annual review which is how your opportunity for a raise is determined. (Either no raise or minimal raises are given.)
    Many meetings held about increasing the gap between patients starting measures and outcome measures on our documentation. Your average rehab outcome measure for your patients will affect your year end review which will affect your chance for a raise as well, so no pressure to increase the gap between starting and ending measures on your documentation, right?! They force you to abide by whatever will make them more money by making it affect you directly regardless of what is best for the patients. Wow, must be great therapy if everyone starts out dependent and ends up independent! In reality, you are forced to do crappy 'point of service documentation' therapy with people who need constant cueing and hands on contact just to meet productivity expectations and not work off the clock which you supposedly will be fired for doing. No consideration as to medical complexity of this population and the fact that it's not realistic for the geriatric population in skilled nursing to start at a profound impairment/dependent level and end up with mild impairments or independent. 'If you walk into a room and they need cues to dress, transfer, etc., then they should be rated as dependent. Since you did nursing staff education, at discharge they are now mild or independent.' That was said verbatim so many times.
    Policies are constantly changing based on how the company is compensated for services. You must bill a certain amount of minutes and bill group/individual/concurrent Treatment based on whatever they are most highly compensated for. You will be continually 'counseled' if you do not bill the amount of minutes that will bring the most units and the most compensation. It is not up to your clinical judgment what the patient can tolerate or what the patient really needs. OTs and PTs must use modalities on a certain percentage of patients or will receive a visit from a representative who will tell them who to use which modality on. When I started at Aegis, we had to bill group for a certain percentage of our patients weekly and there was a huge push to increase. Now, of course, it's individual treatment because of changes in compensation. What is best for the patient is not of importance. All about the money.
    No payout for accrued hours off is available at year's end. If you leave the company or downgrade employment to PRN, you forfeit all your accrued hours.
    Low opportunity for continuing ed for SLPs. Only dysphagia therapy is ever addressed in training which is also infrequent-never any documentation guidance or EBP training for cognitive-linguistic impairments, which represents the majority of the caseload. SLPs are definitely an afterthought when it comes to training.

Focus on patients and not numbers.

I was able to learn about a lot of different modalities in treatments being a new COTA

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

In general the staff I encountered were all extremely helpful and knowledgeable about their jobs

Cons

Unfortunately due to a drop in census I am not able to continue working at this company

It might be a good idea to check with the staff on their ideas because they work directly with the patients and know what the patients want and need

Unreasonable! Stay away!

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, promise of wonderful opportunities

Cons

Inconsistent and unfair discipline between site managers, unrealistic and unreasonable expectations. Money-making oriented company goals vs patient and employee needs. Continual loss of benefits. When issues arise it is always the employees to blame, never lower and middle management. If you work here you sacrifice your mental and physical health as you can never meet increasing, unreasonable expectations. The stress from the company is not worth working here for any salary.

Reimbursement for continuing education has increasing limitations each year so you might as well not bother to request reimbursement. Lower management have poor education in management of employees. Some employees micromanaged while others can do no wrong. High expected productivity expectation leading to unethical and illegal billing practices. When you provide feedback regarding serious billing issues to a supervisor it is largely ignored if that other employee is a favorite; favoritism is the norm. Work and documentation quality overlooked for these employees while others are badgered.

Lower management follow a "do as I say, not as I do" practice. They will conduct themselves as far as completion of documentation, work environment and therapy treatment sessions contrary from therapist expectations. Management untrustworthy. Poor recognition from management for independent thinking and "giving it your all" unless your productivity is consistently 90%. See previous paragraph.

Company continually seeks new contracts which it cannot staff. Then when your facility's caseload is low they send you 50 or more miles from your facility to fill in and avoid reimbursing for travel time and mileage. They badger you when you are not able to be 90% productive at the travel facility as you complete non-billable discharges, as there is no consistent registered therapist to complete the paperwork on day of discharge. Traveling Therapists asked to complete discharges and weekly notes for caseload when plans of care and treatments are incomplete, poor quality or unethical. Concerned for my license. Company clearly not concerned about my family life with 2+ hour travel per day plus full caseload each day.

No time for personal needs at work like the bathroom unless you have a patient on billable time. Company plan for therapists to use ipads not functional as I spend all my time typing on the ipad (did I work hard in therapy school to get my license to type all day and provide sub-par treatment?) instead of being hands on with my patients. The technology breaking down constantly makes it even harder and more stressful. You are supposed to schedule your day including paid break time but not able to take breaks generally due nature of work and constantly trying to be caught up for productivity and documentation expectations. At 90% productivity you have 18 mins after your two 15 minute breaks for other work tasks. Yeah, right.

Inordinate amount of time spent on particular training for facility therapist to have program or information abandoned by management weeks to months later. Training for documentation improvements ineffective as not helpful, see paragraph 2. Employees not supposed to work off the clock but necessary at times for quality and work completion. Management aware but does nothing to help situation for employees. Management doesn't seem to mind people working off the clock as long as things get done and no one complains about it. Then it is a discipline issue, not a company issue.

Difficult to have positive interactions with colleagues at times as everyone is stressed out over high productivity expectations and trying to complete daily work expectations, micromanagement by management and expectations to spend a lot of treatment time with patients who are poor rehab candidates to make more money for company and facility. Low morale from culture of blaming colleagues who don't make the productivity requirements and hearing from management how poor the team did.

Curiously, promises from management not fulfilled. Employees spent time filling out satisfaction surveys on line (with very limited space for employee comments and questions worded so they would lead to answers making company sound good), told we would be getting results in a month and several months later management still had not presented the results. Company sends out correspondence that the bottom line for day to day scheduling and functioning is not run by productivity expectations or money. Really?

No wonder there are multiple therapist openings in my state. You'd have to be an unknowing, desperate new grad to apply and work here.

I provided this months ago on my employee survey, if you were listening.

Unethical

Former Employee - COTA/L in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Fresno, CA

I worked at Aegis Therapies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good per diem pay if that's all you're looking for.

Cons

Unrealistic productivity. Company states they only require you to be 80%, but in the end you will be 95% to 100% productive or you will be threatened with your job. Absolutely no support when problems arise between staff leaving therapists to make sometimes unfair decisions. Don't even think of asking for vacation or sick time as you will not get it unless you can find someone to take your place. Benefits have taken a major nose dive with increased premiums. If it takes you more than eight hours to complete patient treatment, you have to sign out and do non billable work off the clock. High turn over rate at the last few facilities I've worked due to burnout.

Wake up corporate. You are loosing excellent therapists and are becoming one of the most hated companies out there. Respond to problems immediately not in in two to three weeks.