Aegis Therapies

Updated October 17, 2014
1.9

Aegis Therapies President Martha Schram
Martha Schram

Pros
  • Fellow therapists and RPC in my building are good co-workers who's primary focus is to provide the best care we can to patients (in 3 reviews)

• Outstanding clinical programs; outcomes; competitive salaries for staff therapists (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity expectations are high for the large amount of non-billable tasks we are required to do each day (in 8 reviews)

• Point-of-service documentation is requested, but not realistic due to very limited number of computers and limited internet access within the faciliy (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Unethical

Former Employee - COTA/L in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - COTA/L in Fresno, CA

I worked at Aegis Therapies as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good per diem pay if that's all you're looking for.

Cons

Unrealistic productivity. Company states they only require you to be 80%, but in the end you will be 95% to 100% productive or you will be threatened with your job. Absolutely no support when problems arise between staff leaving therapists to make sometimes unfair decisions. Don't even think of asking for vacation or sick time as you will not get it unless you can find someone to take your place. Benefits have taken a major nose dive with increased premiums. If it takes you more than eight hours to complete patient treatment, you have to sign out and do non billable work off the clock. High turn over rate at the last few facilities I've worked due to burnout.

Wake up corporate. You are loosing excellent therapists and are becoming one of the most hated companies out there. Respond to problems immediately not in in two to three weeks.

I was able to learn about a lot of different modalities in treatments being a new COTA

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

In general the staff I encountered were all extremely helpful and knowledgeable about their jobs

Cons

Unfortunately due to a drop in census I am not able to continue working at this company

It might be a good idea to check with the staff on their ideas because they work directly with the patients and know what the patients want and need

All about the money, decreasing benefits and wage freezes, layoffs

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, continuing ed, good co-workers

Cons

Mandated use of I-pad minis, unrealistic productivity expectations, heavy paperwork load, stress

Stop cutting back on wages, time off, reducing benefits, cutting staff

Corporate greed at it's best

I worked at Aegis Therapies

Pros

There is usually overtime available ... I wonder why...

Cons

Working for this company as a contract therapist was one of the worst decisions of my careers. After over two years of commitment I was dropped without explination. This company has lost all touch with reality, patient care is non existent and working conditions are below standard. In the whole time I was there I never seen one item being bought by the company. Therapists are expected to work with theraband that is over five years old, resterator which is about 10 years old and broken. Faulty equipment is the norm. Also the nautilus equipment is not age appropriate and a complete waste of space I have literally seen it used less than a couple times. this company has no respect for therapists and we have absolutely no say in discharging patients. This is make via the business side and completely undermines therapy as a profession. As fr documentation, the expectations are not only ubrealistic the amount of documentation and fuling that is expected off the clock can punt to over hours a day. This company is corrupt if you have no care for your profession and don't mind risking your license and your mental health then go ahead otherwise avoid like the plague. Management don't care this is a company fixated on corporate greed where patents are not people but cash cows and therapists are robots with no mind of their own. Don't promote this corruption.

Therapists are people and went to school for six years for a good reason.

Not what they say they are!

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What I like about my current job is interacting with the residents and improving the quality of their life. I really respect and enjoy my coworkers. The facility is very well maintained.

Cons

Everything else about Aegis is bad news! They were dishonest and misleading during my interview and hiring process. Everything is about productivity and not supporting good patient care- they are looking for a warm body to bill. This company will put your license at risk. I wish I could be an employee of the facility that I am working in and NOT Aegis.

You will lose ethical therapists if you do not change your priorities.

liars! don't be fooled by them!

Current Employee - Speech Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech Pathologist

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

no pros, unless you have a PRN person who can cover your vacation for you- then you get your vacation approved.

Cons

where do I start??... the culture of lying everywhere: starts from your direct manager's office all the way through the BIG-FISH (AVP and Area President) offices. well, you never get to talk to the AP anyways -otherwise you're UPSETTING your DOR and AVP. unless your AP bringing sandwiches for lunch once a year- then you can talk to him with your mouthful, I guess. they are constantly preaching the HIPAA and avoidance of conflict of interest, and WE ARE CONSTANTLY WORKING AMIDST THE CONFLICT OF INTEREST: the productivity is above everything, yet they keep telling us to report the real time you spend at work. how's that possible? there are some nasty little "clinical specialists" with a severe complex of an abused child in this company who never help you with anything, and then all of a sudden once a year review your documentation and give you an F (I mean, "fail" :).. they always say you can contact them, but they do not reply promptly; if they do- that's not what you ask, etc. they just keep lying. also- foreign citizens, don't hope to get a Green Card with this company, unless you're working in California and full-time. they trick you into coming to the boonies to get a Green Card, you're available to work for them full-time, and guess what! they file your status as "part-time" and BS you that it's your own fault. what are your chances of getting a Green Card being a part-time employee? plus, you're risking to lose your benefits! goodluck with this nasty and stress-promoting company!

let therapists do their work: what they were trained to do. STOP LYING! YOU WILL EVENTUALLY LOSE ALL GOOD THERAPISTS, AND THEN WHAT DO YOU DO?

Poor management, no respect for human beings, including both staff and clients, only cares about the bottom line.

I worked at Aegis Therapies

Pros

As previous comments, hard time coming up with pros. All the therapy staff are unhappy. They hire good people but those people will not stay unless they are afraid to break their contract.

Cons

The management holds meetings in the office every couple of weeks where they berate the therapy staff. They give therapists 8 minutes per day to complete all documentation and clerical work, including scheduling, supervisory documentation, extra progress notes that are no state mandated but only mandated by Aegis, as well as the state mandated ones. They will not listen to complaints by employees or provide any support other than buying them a sandwich and threatening disciplinary actions if the staff continues to have "an attitude." They promote fraudulent practices indirectly with their productivity expectations and constant threats that therapy staff will be written up for any decrease in productivity or for expressing unhappiness with the difficulties inherent in the way staff is managed. They do not care about people, including both staff and clients. As others have mentioned, if these practices continue, they will drive away all good therapists who have integrity and respect for their profession and who care about helping people and treating people like human beings rather than sources of money.
    Also--They block all internet access other than that used for their documentation system, making it impossible to research job related information or use the internet as a professional resource at all. The manager is very rarely actually at the facility and rarely or never contacts employees for anything other than to reprimand them. Employees are afraid to support one another due to fear that they will be overheard and reprimanded for having a "bad attitude." There is whispering, meeting at a location other than work to talk, not using company phones, and other secretive behavior by employees that have worked with Aegis for a long period of time, as they know how vindictive the company can be and are afraid to be overheard saying anything remotely negative about the company. This atmosphere is reminiscent of that in the book 1984. I was shocked to see this.

Treat your employees like real people. Try to nurture compassion and empathy for people in your company, especially in management, as you are supposed to be in healthcare, where you take care of people. Stop ruling by threats and listen to your employees. Learn how to respect human beings. As an alternative, go into a business more suited to your business model, such as corporate lobbying.

You call that a career..

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

Let me think... They want me to do what? For a paycheck? I mean really..Personal growth or personal degradation?

Cons

A creepy work mill...third world factory conditions...

Advice.. I think they are getting advice from the legal system, fraud is unethical..

Great experience

Current Employee - Rehab Program Coordinator/PTA in Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Rehab Program Coordinator/PTA in Farmington, NM

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good support from DOR

Cons

corporate is slow to respond to equipment needs.

Be more responsible to needs

Glad I left

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with locally. Good opportunities for CEUs within the company.

Cons

Agreeing with many of the other comments on here regarding ethical concerns. Very difficult to use any PTO because of being constantly understaffed with no PRN pool to pull from. Also can not cash out PTO and only a small portion carries over into the next year, so you lose at the end of the year. Increasing nonpatient care tasks with increased productivity demands. My facility was understaffed for several months with high caseload and at the end of the week told to cut my overtime and stay on top of paperwork at the same time. Despite months of this, they never would hire a traveler for temporary relief. Told to increase my productivity even though I was well into the required range to increase facility's overall productivity, taking away more time for me to spend on non billable tasks. What is considered "best patient care" changes with Medicare changes (i.e. big push on group until Med As group reimbursement changed, then individual treatment was suddenly better.) instead of clinical basis. Very high turnover rate and often running short on help puts patients at high disadvantage.

Show you appreciate your therapists, Take note of the high turnover rate for therapists and start asking yourselves why they are leaving. Show therapists that you respect and appreciate their hard work. Show that the company does have integrity and is ethical. Don't say one thing then do the other, you have to demonstrate these things and not just say because words are just that, words. Actions speak louder and those actions are causing your therapists to leave.