Aegis Therapies

Updated September 17, 2014
1.9

Aegis Therapies President Martha Schram
Martha Schram

Pros
  • Outstanding clinical programs; outcomes; competitive salaries for staff therapists (in 16 reviews)

• benefits are good for entry level therapist (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Point-of-service documentation is requested, but not realistic due to very limited number of computers and limited internet access within the faciliy (in 4 reviews)

• Productivity expectations of 90% or greater every day (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

All about the money, decreasing benefits and wage freezes, layoffs

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Training, continuing ed, good co-workers

Cons

Mandated use of I-pad minis, unrealistic productivity expectations, heavy paperwork load, stress

Stop cutting back on wages, time off, reducing benefits, cutting staff

Not what they say they are!

Current Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time for less than a year

Pros

What I like about my current job is interacting with the residents and improving the quality of their life. I really respect and enjoy my coworkers. The facility is very well maintained.

Cons

Everything else about Aegis is bad news! They were dishonest and misleading during my interview and hiring process. Everything is about productivity and not supporting good patient care- they are looking for a warm body to bill. This company will put your license at risk. I wish I could be an employee of the facility that I am working in and NOT Aegis.

You will lose ethical therapists if you do not change your priorities.

liars! don't be fooled by them!

Current Employee - Speech Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech Pathologist

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

no pros, unless you have a PRN person who can cover your vacation for you- then you get your vacation approved.

Cons

where do I start??... the culture of lying everywhere: starts from your direct manager's office all the way through the BIG-FISH (AVP and Area President) offices. well, you never get to talk to the AP anyways -otherwise you're UPSETTING your DOR and AVP. unless your AP bringing sandwiches for lunch once a year- then you can talk to him with your mouthful, I guess. they are constantly preaching the HIPAA and avoidance of conflict of interest, and WE ARE CONSTANTLY WORKING AMIDST THE CONFLICT OF INTEREST: the productivity is above everything, yet they keep telling us to report the real time you spend at work. how's that possible? there are some nasty little "clinical specialists" with a severe complex of an abused child in this company who never help you with anything, and then all of a sudden once a year review your documentation and give you an F (I mean, "fail" :).. they always say you can contact them, but they do not reply promptly; if they do- that's not what you ask, etc. they just keep lying. also- foreign citizens, don't hope to get a Green Card with this company, unless you're working in California and full-time. they trick you into coming to the boonies to get a Green Card, you're available to work for them full-time, and guess what! they file your status as "part-time" and BS you that it's your own fault. what are your chances of getting a Green Card being a part-time employee? plus, you're risking to lose your benefits! goodluck with this nasty and stress-promoting company!

let therapists do their work: what they were trained to do. STOP LYING! YOU WILL EVENTUALLY LOSE ALL GOOD THERAPISTS, AND THEN WHAT DO YOU DO?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Current Employee - Rehab Program Coordinator/PTA  in  Farmington, NM
    Current Employee - Rehab Program Coordinator/PTA in Farmington, NM

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good support from DOR

Cons

corporate is slow to respond to equipment needs.

Be more responsible to needs

Poor management, no respect for human beings, including both staff and clients, only cares about the bottom line.

I worked at Aegis Therapies

Pros

As previous comments, hard time coming up with pros. All the therapy staff are unhappy. They hire good people but those people will not stay unless they are afraid to break their contract.

Cons

The management holds meetings in the office every couple of weeks where they berate the therapy staff. They give therapists 8 minutes per day to complete all documentation and clerical work, including scheduling, supervisory documentation, extra progress notes that are no state mandated but only mandated by Aegis, as well as the state mandated ones. They will not listen to complaints by employees or provide any support other than buying them a sandwich and threatening disciplinary actions if the staff continues to have "an attitude." They promote fraudulent practices indirectly with their productivity expectations and constant threats that therapy staff will be written up for any decrease in productivity or for expressing unhappiness with the difficulties inherent in the way staff is managed. They do not care about people, including both staff and clients. As others have mentioned, if these practices continue, they will drive away all good therapists who have integrity and respect for their profession and who care about helping people and treating people like human beings rather than sources of money.
    Also--They block all internet access other than that used for their documentation system, making it impossible to research job related information or use the internet as a professional resource at all. The manager is very rarely actually at the facility and rarely or never contacts employees for anything other than to reprimand them. Employees are afraid to support one another due to fear that they will be overheard and reprimanded for having a "bad attitude." There is whispering, meeting at a location other than work to talk, not using company phones, and other secretive behavior by employees that have worked with Aegis for a long period of time, as they know how vindictive the company can be and are afraid to be overheard saying anything remotely negative about the company. This atmosphere is reminiscent of that in the book 1984. I was shocked to see this.

Treat your employees like real people. Try to nurture compassion and empathy for people in your company, especially in management, as you are supposed to be in healthcare, where you take care of people. Stop ruling by threats and listen to your employees. Learn how to respect human beings. As an alternative, go into a business more suited to your business model, such as corporate lobbying.

You call that a career..

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

Let me think... They want me to do what? For a paycheck? I mean really..Personal growth or personal degradation?

Cons

A creepy work mill...third world factory conditions...

Advice.. I think they are getting advice from the legal system, fraud is unethical..

Glad I left

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with locally. Good opportunities for CEUs within the company.

Cons

Agreeing with many of the other comments on here regarding ethical concerns. Very difficult to use any PTO because of being constantly understaffed with no PRN pool to pull from. Also can not cash out PTO and only a small portion carries over into the next year, so you lose at the end of the year. Increasing nonpatient care tasks with increased productivity demands. My facility was understaffed for several months with high caseload and at the end of the week told to cut my overtime and stay on top of paperwork at the same time. Despite months of this, they never would hire a traveler for temporary relief. Told to increase my productivity even though I was well into the required range to increase facility's overall productivity, taking away more time for me to spend on non billable tasks. What is considered "best patient care" changes with Medicare changes (i.e. big push on group until Med As group reimbursement changed, then individual treatment was suddenly better.) instead of clinical basis. Very high turnover rate and often running short on help puts patients at high disadvantage.

Show you appreciate your therapists, Take note of the high turnover rate for therapists and start asking yourselves why they are leaving. Show therapists that you respect and appreciate their hard work. Show that the company does have integrity and is ethical. Don't say one thing then do the other, you have to demonstrate these things and not just say because words are just that, words. Actions speak louder and those actions are causing your therapists to leave.

Disgraceful- On MY Way Out

Current Employee - OTR
    Current Employee - OTR

I have been working at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good co-workers, no other pros

Cons

A culture of harassment about ridiculous productivity expectations, unethical practices that put a therapist's license of the line, management that is completely out of touch with the clinical realities, non-existent support from management, high stress and low satisfaction, no communication or contact with facility administrator, therapists are on their own, no cost of living raises in over 3 years or contribution to 401Ks

Clean house, start over, return to your original values of client centered care, forget about the stockholders and start caring about your real customers

Very UN HAPPY

I have been working at Aegis Therapies

Pros

Nothing the new management is the WORST

Cons

The NEW MANAGEMENT is horrible and the WORST thing introduced to the company

This NEW MANAGEMENT is seriously destroying the family environment and the motivation of the staff and has succefully destroyed any willingness to work for the company.

Horrid company

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aegis Therapies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Few. Enjoyed most co-workers and a feeling of comaraderie among all. Unreasonable demands and incompetent management will bring employees together in a shared dislike and distrust.

Cons

Where to start!! Compensation at the facility below the industry ( and corporate) average. Unreasonable and unrealistic productivity demands increase the level of stress and diminish the quality of the care clients receive. Poor and incompetent local management does little to inspire employees. PTO is horribly managed; discipline is arbitrary and inconsistently applied. Management will occasionally suggest (request?) shortcuts in order to pump up the productivity numbers. At the management level, ethical behaviors are an option, not an expecatation. Inevitably, this begins to trickle down to the therapists eveident in incomplete, inaccurate or even falsified documentation. Due to singular emphasis on productivity and profit, local and regional management will press therapists to stretch ethical boundaries and standards but then leave you to hang on your own when challenged. Negativity abounds in this company and employee morale is incredibly poor. Absolutely thrilled to be gone - any job that drives you to tears on a daily basis is not worth keeping. Company needs a complete overhaul.

There is no advice I can give that will help this company, as it is, improve. Basically, this company needs to clean house. Either that or decide what type of business you want to be. Will you be a company that puts client care first or a company that puts profit first. As is, profit comes first and patient quality care is a distant (very distant) second.

Worked for Aegis Therapies? Contribute to the Community!