Aegon Asset Management

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Aegon Asset Management CEO Alex Wynaendts

Alex Wynaendts

The best learning experience.

IT Intern (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsEveryone is very nice, and always willing to help

ConsNothing, it is a very cohesive atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would consider applying a "new grad" program in the IT department. I spent a year interning, and its going to be hard to leave!

Higher than average salaries, not a good place to build marketable skills

Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat coworkers, book smart people to work with.

ConsThis company pushes out people who give a damn, so the mid to upper level managers have been socially promoted. There's a good chance your boss knows less about his area of expertise than you do. I did say HIS, because in an office of 50 employees, not a single manager is a woman.

The operational setup is a MESS. Spreadsheets tied to other linked spreadsheets. Macros that change the values of final results based off of the color of cell in a spreadsheet. Rather than allow workers to fix this problem, they locked us down. Without being allowed to fix a broken system we regularly make tremendous calculation mistakes. We're a HEDGING operation. That's unacceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a couple of DBA's, so the rest of us can do our jobs rather than be plagued with buggy, untraceable data.

Special Servicing Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI Learned a lot about commercial real estate.

ConsThere was lots of busy work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with the interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great internship!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive supervisors
    People in other departments willing to spend time with you
    Nice people
    Pressure exists but not terrible

ConsSome technologies a bit obsolete/unstable.
    Not many job openings
    Not a booming business
    Foods...

Great!

ProsStable Climate. I am not worried about losing my job.

ConsSlow Progress. It can take a while to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into Latest Tech

A company that cares and a great place to work

Accounting Intern (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe cultural aspect of the company is great, and the management truly cares about their employees. A happy employee does better work!

ConsIndividual departments need to communicate better with other departments when problems arise, instead of ignoring the problems for someone else to deal with.

Large, Top-Heavy International Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsInitial Pay is good. Some of the better worker-bee level employees that I've worked with in Insurance.

ConsThere is a complete lack of infrastructure in Aegon as a whole. Do not come in here from another company thinking that, just due to the large quantity of assets under management that this organization shows on its' balance sheets, you will be stepping into a world class financial institution.
    Lots of first-time-job new hires are bright and better educated than at most insurance firms. Unfortunately, there is no infrastructure and so their skills and intelligence are vastly underutilized if at all.
    Also, there are a tremendous amount of managers, a lot of thoughtless work (due to the lack of infrastructure) and very few workers themselves.
    Unfortunately, those making key decisions that could change the situation are very inexperienced in terms of seeing how other companies may operate or seeing other ways of doing things. Whatever solutions these managers have are constructed from an ill-informed background on the problem due to listening to other managers who have only ever been at Aegon.
    In short, you will be doing more advanced-level work at othr organizations in an equivalent position simply due to the lack of infrastructure and good management at Aegon .

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone from the outside, with experience, to clean up the place. Stop listening to the people who brought you to the point of disaster that is AAM currently for solutions, you need a different view and people with experience outside of Aegon.

Company Review

Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsCollaborative culture, fun work environment,

Consnot a lot of opportunities for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain talent

Smart people, great company

Intern (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsLots of smart people and a very supportive atmosphere. Within finance, it would be hard to find a more balanced work-life environment.

ConsMay be too laid back for some people. Location may be an issue as well since Cedar Rapids is not exactly known for finance...

It was very average

Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Proscompensation is somewhat above average especially considering low cost of living

Conspressure and long hours, lots of crises

Advice to Senior Managementmore tecnical people

Worked for Aegon Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!