Aerie by American Eagle Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
94 reviews filtered by
3.7
CEO

Pros
  • Great discount at both Aerie and American Eagle (in 16 reviews)

• Employee Discount, Good hours, Nice environment to work in (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Overnight floor sets are horrible (in 6 reviews)

• on-call shifts, low pay, hours all over the place (in 5 reviews)

1. Pleasant experience with this company. I worked for them part time for 21/2 years.

Former Employee - Aerie Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Aerie Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle

Pros

They treat their employees very well, good work environment, give out gifts to employees., and great company message to young girls.

Cons

Really strict on calling out

2. It is all about the store you are in

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company generally has a great training program and prefers to promote from within over outside candidates. Great Discounts. Friendly people. Majority of staff are high school and college students.

Cons

Every store seems to run differently, You could have the best team in one store and then the next is the opposite. Company very focused on numbers and not the employees. You can only get so high with moving up because the company is so small. Attempting to switch from Aerie to an American Eagle store or vic versa, is a battle in itself. Stores in the same mall are not ran by the same DM, there are different DM's for Aerie and American Eagle.

Advice to Management

Have a better idea of what is really going on in the stores, Ensure that there is more DM awareness as to what is going on in stores. My store sees my DM maybe once a month, and I haven't seen here is several months.

3. Great discount, normal retail environment.

Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Edison, NJ

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

40% discount on regular priced merchandise, 25% off of clearance and special discounts on select new products after floor sets. Great for college kids cause it's flexible but the managers seemed to be under high pressure- would not consider this for a career.

Cons

Minimum wage if you start without previous retail experience, promoted me without giving me a raise to "bra expert" high turnover and all girls makes for cattiness.

Advice to Management

Get better at scheduling your employees.

5. Pretty Good for Retail

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome discounts, 25-60% Aerie and AE merchandise.
    Great people. Because it is a smaller store, you people very close with management and other coworkers.
    Customer service focused. I was able to work one on one with most customers and make sure they had a great experience.
    Although you are expected to sell, it doesn't feel like it at all because you become so passionate about the product (there's so much cute stuff!)
    Decent pay, do wish we could get commission though.
    Could tell that district manager, regional manager, and even corporate wanted us to succeed. Lots of contests, prizes and recognition.
    Clear goals to reach every day, managers and most associates are driven to reach them.

Cons

There was a bit of drama among associates and management, but that is basically everywhere you work.
    The company wants you to be a bit too pushy with rewards cards/credit. While it does end up saving the customer money, it's unrealistic asking for 3 no's.
    The pay was all right, it is retail after all. But for some of the customers we had to deal with at times, I wish it was a little more.

6. Sales Associate

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle

Pros

The atmosphere is probably one of Aerie's best aspects. The workers are friendly, it's a small store so you become close with your co-workers, and customer service is very personalized. Employees receive generous discounts and whenever a new bra comes out employees receive it for free. Overall they're very good with scheduling and are considerate to your requests. I loved my managers because they truly cared about the business and its customers.

Cons

Holidays and sales can get very busy, and on the opposite spectrum unpopular times of the day can have very few customers.

Advice to Management

Just keep it up!

7. Great experience, tons of opportunity for growth within company.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle

Pros

They always do fun contests for associates, great management and experience overall.

Cons

Position is not technically a full time position so no benefits or PTO.

8. Decent retail workplace

Current Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-lots of free bras & underwear
    -discount at Aerie and American Eagle

Cons

-poor management
    -micromanaged retail processes
    -sales associates are given very little responsibility and therefore have very little investment in the company
    -poor scheduling... three hour shifts

Advice to Management

Leadership training needs to be amped way up. Also, allowing your sales associates to take on some responsibility will alleviate stress on mangers as well as create a more invested and hardworking community. Also, 3 hour shifts aren't a thing.

9. Not the best paying but best overall environment to work in retail!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle

Pros

Great coaching tools, awesome employee discount, fun customer relationship, #aeriereal campaign

Cons

Low pay, managers expected to do a lot in a short amount of time,

Advice to Management

Go back to basics! I left the company because my district manager was changing everything I knew about the company. I enjoyed my time under my 2 previous DM's but once the Aerie realignment happened, the Aerie brand changed. There were more demands and the same amount of time to do it. I believe the current DM was so new that she didn't see what's really important and that's management being an active role in customer involvement vs. additional unnecessary paperwork.

10. Crappy Management

Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Michigan City, IN
    Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Michigan City, IN

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount was nice and I love their products. The people I worked with were nice but overall just didn't have a good handle on either of the stores (I worked at a connected American Eagle and Aerie)

Cons

Stupid on call hours. Neglected to call and say shift was cut. Won't let you get someone to cover your shift, they have to. More than one occasion they knew I needed a day off (ACT and SAT) and told me not to worry about getting someone to cover it but they never would do it themselves. They never schedule you the hours but they will call you every day to see if you can come in for the 4 hour shift (which is extremely annoying if it's already 5pm and I live 35 minutes away) they will work you just enough to where you don't get a half an hour break. The worst thing to me was that we were supposed to "compliment" every single person who came in. The purpose was to feel more real but we were handing out fake compliments. And they require 3 no's for the aerie credit card before you give up. This is something I never followed. People will just get annoyed if you keep pushing.

Advice to Management

Change the 3 No's rule. Nobody wants to be pestered.

11. The initial foundation of aerie was incredible - it reached an untouched audience in 2006.

Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Bra Expert/Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle

Pros

The gentleness of the first aerie was exactly what drew me in. Getting to help young girls be comfortable in their own changing skin. It was awesome to help them have the confidence to go out and rock life! There were attainable but challenging sales goals.

Cons

What aerie has grown into now is pushing my level of comfort. It has become a little more like their competitors and that is not appealing to me. Scheduling was a bit unpredictable, but I think that comes with retail and can't really be helped.

Advice to Management

I was a customer before I worked there because I wasn't old enough to be employed. I worked in the very first stand alone store. I was there on opening day and regularly in the couple years that followed. The energy in that store from 2006-2009 was amazing!! Positive, outgoing, comfident, empowering, comfortable. From 2010-present the energy has shifted to one that borders on turning me against the brand. I first fell in love with the company because it catered to the young ladies who needed the confidencenter boost. I saw many girls grow into woman and I know that I helped them gain that confidence. Bring that back!! Fcousin on that. Channel that.