Aerie by American Eagle

Aerie by American Eagle Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros:
  • "My location had friendly coworkers and a good employee discount"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Awesome product, great discount, good amount of hours, great co-workers"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cant Keep a Consistant District Manager"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Yes, there are perks, but you are supposed to be paid a sufficient salary for all of the hard work they are going to expect of you"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Luck

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle full-time for more than a year

Prosgetting to work one on one with customers, getting a good discount at American Eagle and Aerie

ConsWays to advance is hard, no upper management takes their time with you, if you want to advance with this company you have to do it all on your own

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people that actually want to be there and be successful. The training program is their to train, not just have touch base and send you on your way

Company tries to help everyone succeed

Key Holder (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for more than a year

ProsYou're given many opportunities to exceed.
Teaches associates about business
Great employee discounts
Teaches associates how to sell effectively and sets everyone up for success
Easy job in retail

ConsYou work a retail schedule, which involves having to call into work just to see if you have to work, so it's hard to make plans.
Sometimes stores can be over staffed, causing many employees not to get hours, or very few hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll managers in my store are extremely helpful and just want everyone to succeed. They are always willing to go the extra mile to really help you out and make sure that you enjoy your job. Other store managers were pretty great too.

Great company to work for as a part-time employee with great perks and awesome co-workers.

Merchandise Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscounts are great; you get anywhere from 25-50% off and free items every time they release a new bra/underwear style.

ConsManagement; lots of conflict between four different management styles and because it's a small store there's constant tension between employees and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFloor-sets should be done early in the morning on weekends or some time that's more accommodating to the lifestyles of college/high school students. Being at work until 5:30 in the morning and having class at 8:00 is terrible.

The best company I have ever worked for!

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for more than a year

ProsAmerican Eagle Outfitters is dedicated to providing customers top-notch service through their investment in their employees. I can say from personal experience that working for American Eagle (specifically, Aerie) has been a true blessing, They truly value their employees and offer them plenty of opportunities for growth and enhancement. AEO believes that if their employees love their job, then this positivity will radiate throughout the business and into the lives of its customers.

ConsThere are no cons that are specific to American Eagle Outfitters. Any cons are related to retail in general such as, long hours, working holidays, dealing with difficult customers, and the overall stress associated with retail.

An average high school Job

Columbus, OH

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsMy favorite part was the discount we got, especially when new items arrived. Also, it was not too hard of a job if you don't mind working with customers.

ConsWe were way over hired and I didn't know half of the people I worked with because of this. Also, we had to watch movies and fill out a worksheet before every shift which was just a waste of time.

Good for high school students...nothing else.

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time

ProsEmployee discounts. Sometimes had free giveaways when promoting a new product.

ConsHorrible hours. Broken promises from management. Store manager was rude, condescending, and was either not involved or down my throat. All employees were catty and dramatic. Had to fill out "sales" worksheets before shifts which were a waste of time. Hated the way they ran the store.

Would've been a good first job, if it weren't for the management.

Cerritos, CA

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsUpper management is initially very warm, hires employees despite lack of previous experience.

ConsAs I worked their, upper management showed their true colors- rude, condescending, and extremely paranoid. Managers were either wholly absent and unreachable, or would follow you around the salesfloor with a notepad and pen for DAILY evaluations. These evaluations were wholly unsuccessful and only lead to anxiety, as it was a ~20 piece evaluation on a "three strikes and you're fired" situation. Employees were told to frequently invade customers personal space, and we were even told to touch customers (if we refused it appeared as negative feedback on our evaluations). Employees made to empty their bags before leaving to prove that they weren't stealing from the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of teenage employees with next-to-nothing wages and extreme paranoia.

May be good as a first high school job, but wouldn't recommend to anyone else.

Coralville, IA

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsSometimes had a bra/panty giveaway for employees
Employee discount at Aerie and AE

ConsAssigned hours based on past sales history. For example, if you worked one Tuesday morning shift last week and had 30 dollars in sales, you're probably not going to get any hours the following week, and since you don't have any hours, you can't make any more sales, so it's just an ongoing cycle of not getting hours and not having the opportunity to sell.

Had to sit through horrible training videos at the beginning of each shift

Pushy about everything

Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aerie by American Eagle part-time for less than a year

ProsYou always have something to do. Employee discount is nice, and they make sure you learn about products, promotions, and other company events as far as merchandise. You really feel like you're helping someone who wants to buy a bra. Their bras have excellent quality and pricing.

ConsThey have the pushy, buy something, buy something approach. You HAVE to talk to everyone that comes up and make conversation. You can tell if you EVER worked in retail not everyone wants to talk, and certain people will not buy something no matter how nice you are...it forces you to be overbearing.
The hours are terrible too.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of focus on conversion. If you're in a shopping mall, a lot of things mess up conversion.

Good company, but be careful

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerie by American Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere's a great sense of community. AE is very active and in touch with all levels of employees. Positive energy (generally speaking). Good with requests off, good PTO program too. Great place to start if you're new to retail. Will teach you a lot about retail and having intimate experiences with customers.

ConsUnderpaying. If you have experience in retail do not go here, go somewhere that will pay you the buck you deserve, because believe me, they wont! They expect A LOT out of their associates and managers. Very nitpicky and detail oriented you'll spend hours and hours on floorsets, and you'll get harsh criticisms from the DM if the slightest thing is incorrect. A very disorganized company too, they have a lot of resources and they never use them properly. But like I said, great place to start!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your staff more. You ask a lot for not enough back. Learn some consistency; too many things never go right or need adjusting. This takes time away from the customer and our personal lives. Yes, that balance is very important.

Worked for Aerie by American Eagle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aerie by American Eagle reviews and ratings. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Aerie by American Eagle employees.