Aeris Communications Reviews

1. Great Summer Internship

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Aeris Communications

Pros

Established intern program and mentors that truly put effort into developing your professional skills. On top of this, I had a great intern class and became very good friends with my co-workers. I not only learned a lot but also really enjoyed my time at Aeris.

Cons

Sometimes you have to be proactive about getting tasks, and if you aren't you can end up sitting around with not much to do. If you are bored, talk to your mentor, they are likely unaware that you do not have work and will give you something to do. It took me a while to learn this.

Intern pay is a little below market, probably should think about raising salary if you want to attract top interns. Give interns more responsibility, we can be trusted with important tasks.

Everyone is leaving from all departments

I have been working at Aeris Communications

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Inflated Titles, Good environment to cruise in if you're not looking to advance.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments, below market compensation, low morale, no career development path.

Change things fast!

Around 10% of the employees resigned today, Friday the 13th.

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Aeris Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was too easy to get a job here. (But that should have warned me to not accept the offer. But oh well ..)

Cons

Where do I start ? Management level decisions happen behind your backs and that makes it hard for the employees to decide one way or the other. Someone here was promised a Visa sponsorship, but at the very end of the person's OPT they refused to file. Single point of failure is very apparent but that does not prevent them from being mistreated. Very often non-technical people get hired resulting in unnecessary bloat and overhead.

Any self-help book should help.

5. Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Aeris Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some very talented people that are friendly and enjoy each others company. I learned a lot about full sales cycle account management and made some solid contacts in the M2M industry. I also had many success stories with customers which helped me prepare for future jobs.

Cons

To many high level managers, that talk all day about what they want and really provide no direction to get there. Departments are understaffed and pushed to their limits. This hinders the company's performance in support. And on top of that management struggles to justify aiding these departments. But has no problem adding another VP in a department that already has a VP and adding another layer to a already top heavy upper manager staff. It feels like the management is trying to have its people build its reputation rather then its performance and actions do the job for them.

Support your departments, it puzzles me that the company values more talkers over it's doers.

6. software developer

I have been working at Aeris Communications

Pros

very good company . good opportunities

Cons

small and better company . good opportunities

Engineer

I worked at Aeris Communications

Pros

Good work location! Great development team. I learned a lot about M2M technology and worked with some very smart people.

Cons

There is a general lack of professionalism by management staff which has resulted in a hostile work environment and high attrition. It seems that management are unaware or unfamiliar with basic business etiquette and conduct themselves more like high school athletic team coaches than professional managers. It is common practice for managers to raise their voices, berate and insult employees in front of the wider team and this is unacceptable. I have witnessed new hires begin discussing their exit strategy within their first weeks!

With its current culture, the future success of Aeris is questionable.

Professionalism, professionalism, professionalism!

8. Great opportunity to learn about M2M technology.

I have been working at Aeris Communications

Pros

A great stepping stone to learn how M2M works.

Cons

Advancement and growth within the company is limited.

Take the time to see the value each individual possesses and work with them for growth within the organization.

9. Supportive Management and Awesome Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Aeris Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I couldn't feel more fortunate to have landed a job with this company.

-Pros far out-weigh the cons
    -Technology is fascinating & cutting edge
    -A rich learning environment: management is invested in professional development (CTO does "lunch & learn" pretty often to teach others in the company about the technology). Furthermore, employees have mentioned learning more about the industry, their personal fields, and so-on from their colleagues at Aeris.
    -Incredibly talented individuals in each department.
    -High energy environment (most employees look forward to coming to work every day). There are a few key employees who amplify this energy with a good attitude.
    -Employees are trusted with autonomy to manage large projects & encouraged to take on new and stimulating work
    -Feels like a family (small company) that works like a team. For the most part, higher management recognizes and values unique talents of most individuals.
    -Some employees have commented on feeling as though they are making a difference with their projects.
    -Great networking opportunities, if you choose to take advantage of that.
    -Flexible time and vacation policies allow employees to direct the focus of their work while maintaining a healthy personal life-career balance; overall promoting productivity and health.
    -Values "doing the right thing," a genuine attitude that flows from management; this alone puts the company head and shoulders above others in what can be a "too fast-paced" industry.
    -Unique, one-of-a-kind experiences and opportunities with Aeris
    -The people at Aeris: smart, high energy, diverse and professional (CEO and other higher management are not only exceptional in their field, but also phenomenal human beings).

Cons

-The Biggest Con: pay could be a lot better (can be the effects of a small company, so that may improve as the company grows).
    -Management is trusting and a bit "laissez-faire" (a plus in my opinion). Unfortunately, too trusting and some individuals are given leadership responsibility they should not have, causing poor planning, extreme disorganization, and very poor decision making in some departments. This is rare at Aeris, but it does happen. When it's present then it really hurts the team's productivity and overall job satisfaction. It can actually be quite awful... As positive as the "pros" listed above are, this is enough to drive away top talent.

-Continue to value those hard working employees. It is motivating and very much appreciated.
    -Be careful with who is placed in a leadership role (NOT referring to the VPs or C-level execs; they are all fantastic). However, the individuals in between: those are the ones who will effect productivity and overall job satisfaction for the rest of the team.... they also have the potential to drive away the more talented employees.
    -Look at what the standard is for responsibility level vs. average salary in Santa Clara, CA. You will find that you are rather cheap here, and your greatest assets and talents will end up finding employment elsewhere where they will be compensated more appropriately.

Poor management & lack of career advancement.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Aeris Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are interested in machine-to-machine and cellular technologies, there are definitely some interesting things to learn working at Aeris Communications. There are a bunch of great individuals that work at Aeris, and most folks are friendly and willing to help you when you need it. Some members of the management team are friendly and honest; very easy to work with. The benefits are decent, with a fair portion of medical/dental/vision paid by the company, unless you have dependents. The office is in a nice location, with a variety of food options nearby, and a nice view of the new stadium in Santa Clara.

Cons

1) Unless you are 'the favorite', you will not see any career advancement.
    2) Work goes without appreciation or compensation, even work that "goes the extra mile", and beyond what is just in your contract.
    3) Management is very disorganized most of the time.
    4) Teams/departments do not communicate efficiently, causing more problems than fixing them.
    5) If you are not a ring leader in the company politics, do not expect anything to go your way.
    6) Monetary compensation is not up to par with the industry, and the company seems to pinch pennies wherever they can.

1) Find a way to communicate effectively inter-departmentally, otherwise the company will fail in the long run.
    2) Start taking care of, and respecting, your employees, especially the "little guys" that keep the customers happy.
    3) Stop hiring director after director and manager after manager without promoting internally- eventually you will have a huge management team and no one working for them, because everyone else was kicked around and disregarded.
    4) Appreciate your employees, otherwise you will keep losing them to companies that do.
    5) Provide a fair compensation for employees that show great initiative.

We're told the company always has "huge growth", but never materializes. Seems like snake oil.

I have been working at Aeris Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sounds like an interesting business and technology, until you realize the larger carriers(AT&T, Verizon) do the same thing, only better. Which results in them eating our lunch. Great experience though, and it's a small company so you can develop your skills to take to the next job.

Cons

Leadership doesn't know what they are doing. High employee turnover. I think the social media girl from the Jack in the Box TV ads works here. So Annoying... doesn't actually produce anything...EXCEPT BEING ANNOYING. I think she has actually asked "what is that clock bracelet on your wrist?"

Engineering is going well, but sales doesn't know what they are doing. Need new leadership there. "Promised growth" quarter after quarter isn't going to cut it. The revenue numbers don't lie. Let's see some real growth in revenue instead of stories. Company is living off a deal a sales guy made years ago who has since left the company since you didn't value him...politics being valued over merit is not the way to succeed in Silicon Valley. That contract has a some years left, but when it is over...well it's over.