AeroVironment Reviews

Reset
2.1
AeroVironment Chairman, President, and CEO Timothy E. Conver
Timothy E. Conver

Pros
  • Casual work environment, great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great people who have fun at their jobs (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy after the layoffs, no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Month-end, year-end, quarter-end is the only thing upper management cares about (in 4 reviews)

Many bright people

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of very bright people make it great for interesting creative design meetings. The working staff put great efforts into doing it right and taking pride in their products.

Cons

Not much in house low level manufacturing. Many things are outsourced to vendors and requires a lot of vendor interaction and communication.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the ways of Paul MacCready. People are not just creative 8am to 5pm, it is part of their life. Foster learning by teaching and expanding the minds, even if you do not see the way it ties to the job directly, you may be surprised in the end.

Run! Don't Apply Here!

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and 401k plan. Casual dress everyday. No matter how bad you are at your job, they won't fire you, just move you from dept. to dept. which is good for the employee who doesn't like to do their job duties

Cons

No matter how bad you are at your job, they won't fire you, just move you from dept. to dept. which is horrible for the rest of the employees that have to work with that person. Management won't take action on bad employees. Management doesn't listen. Inter-dept. fighting. No team work. Hostile work environment. Unsafe work environments in some places. Wasteful with money. Different rules for different people depending on how well you are liked by your manager or other managers. A lot of overworked people, while there is a lot of people doing nothing and getting paid. Pay for new hires is a lot more than what they pay their current dedicated long term employees. Hiring practices are horrible, they put non qualified people in jobs they have no business being in, so the company suffers as a whole due to departments not running as efficient or effectively as they should. We don't have the Engineers that we used to have therefore the new product development suffers, we continue to put old technology in technology products.

Advice to Management

Very top heavy, plenty of room to cut out non contributing, non working Managers, Directors, VP's. Every dept does not need to have a Manager, Supervisor, Director, VP, and President! Not enough of actual workers, the ones that actual produce and get things done and the ones you do have, you don't treat well and have no regard for them. Lean manufacturing is one thing, but you have taken it to a whole new level which is not good for anyone still working at the company. You need to go back to hiring people with experience, common sense, ability to think outside the box and not just hire book smart degree people, you are only focusing on the degree and not if the person will be a good fit for the company or co-workers. So many new hires don't fit in with the rest of the staff which ends up creating conflict with people and departments that are supposed to work closely together. Go back to the old practices of doing things when we actually excelled at something and had happy employees that cared and wanted to make AV shine, now everyone is just here for a check. Everything went downhill once Dr. McCready passed and the company went public.

Overall rating should be less that 1 star. I give this place .23 less than a quarter star.

Current Employee - Production Control Clerk in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Production Control Clerk in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unable to make lemonade out of lemons. Steer clear of this place Danger!! Warning!!

Cons

The management team is less than adequate. Upper management talks about "pillars" without a clue as to how to effectively manage the work force. What a joke. We are not all on the same page. I've worked here 6 years and the next time I see upper management will be the first. I am embarrassed to work here. Personally I am glad the company is moving to from Monrovia to Simi Valley without me. The only reason that I have continued to stay on with the company is my severance. I am counting down the hours until 7/31/15.

Advice to Management

Should be advice to stock holders....Run Run away!!! You need to reboot the upper management team. This group will not successfully move this company to the next level. This group will continue to run Aerovironment into oblivion. Once a great place to work....so I was told. Now just a paycheck.

management

Former Employee - Management in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Monrovia, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

creative technology products used to save soldiers lives, engineering development that fosters unique solutions; employees dedicated to military support products that work

Cons

smoke and mirrors regarding business outlooks and strategic planning; lack of full disclosure to customers; management team that lacks true business acumen - simply rides on the "cool" factor AV has enjoyed, no real plans to grow the business

Advice to Management

Conver should get rid of ALL senior management and start over - get real business people to create the culture that grew the business in the first place, not "yes" people only concerned with spinning the message and their bonuses

6. A company that had a great potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Back when I first started, the company really made its employees feel involved and part of a team. They used to encourage innovation and there were a lot of great people who worked there. It used to be a great place to work.

Cons

They're in a constant state of "change" that never goes anywhere. Many of those whom I respected and enjoyed working with were let go during prior layoffs. There is no consistency, and each location does their own thing. Promotions are almost nil, and no one really acknowledges your accomplishments. They frequently announce changes that never really "get off the ground." Basically my "great place to work" has become an increasingly frustrating way to collect a paycheck, and nothing more.

Advice to Management

Try staying the course after announcing a change... fix the ongoing issues and problems that have plagued this company for so long. Pay attention to the contribution of others instead of consistently praising only certain groups and failing to recognize others.

Turboturd

Former Employee - QA in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - QA in Monrovia, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be fun....The place is going down the tubes... GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!! Read these reviews and don't take this job unless you are looking for another one!

Cons

Lets see, negative growth year after year since WN took over in EES No vision or leadership from the executive team. Revolving door of VPs and CFO's...just check the news feed. There is a reason for this..can't deliver, incompetent CEO that is over the hill.

Advice to Management

You're doomed. I hope you quit running the place into the ground at the cost of the employees who actually gave a damn and got you to where you are. I hope someone comes in that cares to be successful. You are arrogant, can not communicate effectively and probably can't even tie your own shoes.

8. Not Great For Application Developers

I worked at AeroVironment full-time

Pros

High tech drones, nice benefits, do what you want, travel, lots of work space, friendly clients, lots of food opportunities, weird tech side projects

Cons

legacy code, really long days, management like in military, little communication between engineers and programmers, no compensation for hard work just a "thank you", software is cobbled together without testing

Advice to Management

You are not in the military anymore and management via bullying is not a proper management technique. Planning and testing are keys to good software design. Abusing hard working employees dedication is a bad company policy.

A slumping company on a downward spiral

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a fun place to work. My desk used to have a window.

Cons

Wahid. Negative EES division sales year after year. High turn over of staff, including many at high level senior manager positions. Low outlook on EES growth potential. Get out while you can!

Advice to Management

Stop promoting these VPs that haven't amounted to anything but negative returns.

10. Enjoyable workplace. interesting, fun work environment

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at AeroVironment

Pros

The type of work is very interesting, and the employees genuinely enjoy what there doing. The environment is layed back. Employees focus on the product and how to optimize it.

Cons

Hard to move up into management

Advice to Management

Invest in those people who want to grow with the company.

11. Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and lost of vacation time.

Cons

Profit driven mentality. Overpromise and underdeliver.

Advice to Management

Shape up.

RSS Feed </> Embed