AeroVironment Reviews

61 reviews filtered by
2.7
AeroVironment Chairman, President, and CEO Timothy E. Conver
Timothy E. Conver

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good, 401K, most people are great to work with (in 5 reviews)

• Great people who have fun at their jobs (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy after the layoffs, no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Month-end, year-end, quarter-end is the only thing upper management cares about (in 4 reviews)

1. Enjoyable workplace. interesting, fun work environment

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at AeroVironment

Pros

The type of work is very interesting, and the employees genuinely enjoy what there doing. The environment is layed back. Employees focus on the product and how to optimize it.

Cons

Hard to move up into management

Advice to Management

Invest in those people who want to grow with the company.

2. Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and lost of vacation time.

Cons

Profit driven mentality. Overpromise and underdeliver.

Advice to Management

Shape up.

3. Good experience working with some very bright individuals.

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Monrovia, CA

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is constantly innovating new products for the markets.

Cons

Too heavily influenced by the Department of Defense spending. A down turn in government spending often causes layoffs.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees and hold management accountable for poor decision.

5. Generally a good company to work for if you like or are used to working in an aerospace environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at AeroVironment

Pros

The CEO, Tim Conver, genuinely cares about his people
    The benefits are competitive
    Your work with a lot of very intelligent people

Cons

A lot of organizational restructuring
    A lot of hidden agendas and political games as people jockey for position during the restructuring
    Some pretty strong egos can get in the way of progress. They sometimes get bogged down with trying to sound smart instead of addressing real issues.

Advice to Management

The people who add the most value are getting burned out. I'd like to see management address the barriers created and supported by a few of the long term leaders who are more interested in protecting their turf than in making real progress.

6. Work environment

I have been working at AeroVironment

Pros

My favorite group within the entire company is Engineering. These guys are great to work with. For a few, not so much, when the bouts of crunch time pressure is dumped. Overall, they are very cool guys, and I respect their creativity.

Over the last year, Exec Leadership is trying to show more overall employee appreciation, they administered a survey by an outside company, and encouraged open candid feedback (critical or constructive) from the employees. They have measured, and are continuing to prioritize and re-prioritize these ideas suggestions and recommendations from Employee to re-align with the company's mission towards making improvements. THAT is a good thing.

Cons

Inefficiencies in processing can become tedious and cumbersome. Can really slow down individual production of your work and execution due to over-excessive 'documentation' nearly step of the way.

7. AV review

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managerial staff is very knowledgeable. The worker bees are very easy to get along with and work as a team.

Cons

Too many upper level managers. Not enough foot soldiers to get the job done.

A review from a satisfied employee

Current Employee - Engineer in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I read all the reviews and as a current employee that has been at AV for 10 years, I feel it paints an unfair picture of the work environment. From an engineering standpoint, AeroVironment has an atmosphere that fosters innovation and creativity, without the layers of red tape that one would expect from a large aerospace company. I’m surrounded by brilliant engineers who understand how to practically apply their knowledge.

In regards to reviews claiming that all of the talented employees have left the company, I would advise a quick conversation with any of our functional managers (Electrical, Software, Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.). I guarantee that you’ll want to get out the engineering books and study after having a discussion with one of our technical experts. The managers at AV keep up with the latest technologies and encourage continued learning to stay ahead of the competition.

It’s true that employees put in extra hours at AV, but it’s rarely mandated. Most put in the hours to accomplish technical feats, and learn new skills. The projects are fast-paced, and I've seen drawings turn into functional prototypes in a few months. I’ll end this by saying that even when I have a bad day at AV, I eventually realize that I get paid to develop flying robots, enough said.

Cons

I’m going to leave this as a positive review. I don’t currently have any significant issues with the company.

Rewarding

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, demanding and rewarding work. We build products that are immediately relevant to the world around us.

Cons

The company is becoming very top-heavy, we are abandoning our roots as a technology and engineering innovation company to become a (publicly traded) aerospace firm. This creates a lot of inertia and with a known company policy of discouraging promotion, it creates a sense of futility.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a big company.

The magic is gone.

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people. Interesting technology and industry. Compensation reasonable.

Cons

Stated corporate values are just talk. Management doesn't work as a team and people are forced to worry about "protecting themselves" instead of all moving toward a common goal. Don't speak your mind, or you will pay the price.

Shortcuts and lots of unpaid overtime

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at AeroVironment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They still have a few remaining talented people. Unfortunetely they are silenced by those who have no real world experience and have a habbit of taking risky shortcuts.

Cons

They will let you work hundreds of hours of unpaid overtime to recover from the shortcuts that didn't work, then they give you a twenty minute layoff notice for sucessfully completing your' job.

Advice to Management

Take the money and run while you still have a chance, that, and keep a low profile.