Aerobiology Laboratory Associates

Updated December 23, 2014
Updated December 23, 2014
3.5

Suzanne Blevins

Good place to work, GREAT people to work with!

I have been working at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates

Pros

Smaller company with direct access to owner, COO and any expertise needed. Open lines of communication between all departments. Opinions and feedback are always welcome and encouraged. Commitment to making sure the employees are happy and getting the support needed to serve clients. Smart and savvy owner with a ton of experience and knowledge. Every lab has a different personality, all are phenomenal to work with - it feels like a little family!

Cons

Healthcare benefits could be more robust, but as the company grows, this will undoubtedly change so it's not a permanent drawback.

Great Company

I have been working at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates

Pros

The owners really care about the people who work for them and compensate them fairly. There's more flexibility than you might find in many companies. There has been a great deal of growth over the past few years. The management team is making improvements in most departments as they plan future growth. The management team is very receptive to feedback from employees in order to improve. The benefits package is good compared to most companies.Overall I think this company is a great one to work for and to spend part of my career.

Cons

Healthcare options could be improved to offer more choices of providers.

Continue to take the opinions of all staff into consideration as the company grows.

Laboratory Technician and Sample Accessioning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a smaller sized lab, meaning that there is a lot of opportunity to work directly with upper management and the owner. Any issues that came up therefore can be dealt with quickly and efficiently. Stable hours (9-5) and standard benefits were provided. The work itself is challenging in terms of time management and the volume of samples that are received, however technically this position was not difficult; the procedures are highly standardized and easy to follow. There was a lot of flexibility in this position in terms of being able to split time between sample processing and any R&D work that came in, which was rewarding. In terms of compensation, yearly reviews resulted in raises for most employees.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement were not easy to come by. In order to move up, a senior employee would have had to leave. During the peak summer months it is very challenging to keep up with the pace of incoming samples, however, additional help was provided.

Technology Leads the way

I have been working at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Aerobiology Laboratory Associates has been a very fulfilling experience. Aerobiology is open to new ideas and willing to do whatever is necessary to increase the satisfaction their customers feel when doing business with them. Technology is a key to that satisfaction. Aerobiology utilizes technology to make the lives of its employees better, increase the accessibility for their clients and provide a more cohesive environment.

Cons

At times there can be a communication issue between the labs. Regional differences can account for some of the differing approaches, but there could be more consistency across the labs in areas where it is appropriate.

Continue what you are doing. There has been a steady movement in the right direction and if that continues, there will be continued growth and development company-wide.

I feel very fortunate to be part of a company that is so quickly growing and solidifying its name in the industry.

I have been working at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates

Pros

The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization. It's refreshing to work in an environment where you feel like you're being heard and not merely treated like a number.

Cons

LIMS (homegrown) is rather buggy and has some flaws - needs lots of improvement.
    Better PTO accrual plan
    Incentive plans

Continue to listen to your employees and work together to solve problems and promote fairness.

Unprofessional, disorganized, unqualified upper management

I worked at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Founders expertise, casual atmosphere, decent work/life balance, talented analysts

Cons

Unprofessional and disorganized with unqualified upper management. Medicore pay, mediocre benefits, little room for advancement. No human resources, no technical support, invoicing and accounting is a nightmare. Major flaws with the online web reporting system. Every day is a plethora of issues to deal with and constant headache. When problems are brought to management they are rarely handled efficiently and more often than not completely ignored. Priorities seem very skewed here and higherups are delusional about the actual problems that exist. Majority of the employees seem unhappy but stay due to lack of options in a tough industry. Working for a smaller family operated company vs. corporate has some appeal and advantages but in this case I don't think it’s worth it. Kind people for the most part but I would not recommend for a long term career.

Address problems before expanding. Invest in a real Web/IT professional

Aerobiology Laboratory Associates Response

Oct 30, 2014COO

As with another review you are 100% right that our LIMS system is a major roadblock when it comes to efficiency and productivity within our company. While we are developing an HR department and ... More

Unprofessional Working Environment

I worked at Aerobiology Laboratory Associates full-time

Pros

The lab staff is the hardest working team that I have ever worked with. The son, Chris who runs the company plays a lot of golf so there is little accountability with him. He works two maybe three days and then he is done for the week. Nice Christmas bonus and 401K match.

Cons

The family operated company lacks the professional management needed to run a successful business. Everyone painfully returns to work because of limited positions for graduates with science degrees or lack of english. Over the years I have heard such negative language about the clients we service. The owners also prefer to be told what they want to hear rather than the truth by the employees. When we would voice our concerns we were made fun of to other employees. Some of the mid-level managers are the worse here but they sure do make great brown-nosers. The web management system here is horrible. The owners will not give the staff the tools necessary to do their job efficiently. Money instead is allocated to over-paid salaries to competitors ex-emloyees and golf of course.

My advice would be to send Chris out to the real job market and let him experience what a professional working environment should be like. He can also have the experience of having a great manager. I also suggest you promote within instead of hiring all of your family members or competitors ex-employees.

Aerobiology Laboratory Associates Response

Oct 30, 2014COO

You are 100% right with some of your points. We do have the hardest working staff i have ever encountered and we are fortunate for that. Our LIMS system isn't exactly where it needs to be and ... More

Aerobiology Laboratory Associates Photos