Aerohive Networks

2.6

David Flynn

Innovative Company with Smart People and a Promising Future

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time

Pros

Aerohive has encouraged me to be creative and innovate throughout my entire time here. People work well between different teams in different departments and go above and beyond to help out someone get their job done. I'm surrounded by people who have brilliant ideas and who are very receptive to hear mine. Everyone I work with is committed to the success of the company, and Aerohive finds innumerable ways to show its appreciation in return.

Cons

The only negative thing to say is that the company grew very quickly in the past two years but not uniformly across all departments. As a result, those of us on teams that were 'left behind" in terms of headcount had lots of very late nights and very short weekends. That was stressful. Lately though this is starting to even out so that, although things are still bustling, it's not as wildly hectic as it was. I find I'm getting back to a more balanced life.

Keep moving forward with innovations and continue encouraging people to express their ideas. Aerohive has everything it needs to be the top company in the wireless industry.

Pre IPO review

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of the employees are fun people. Most people seem to get along and most the managers in sales are doing admirable jobs. The Director of Inside Sales is a sharp person who is very analytical and fights for his employees.

Aerohive had the best benefits of any company I've ever worked for, not just the unlimited vacation policy but health benefits as well.

Cons

The Office culture was ok but the company grew really fast pre IPO so it's hard to continue to hire A+ talent when the initiative is to grow that fast.

Allow more advancement for employees across departments

Zero opportunities for promotion

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sales are good enough that for now it is a place without long hours. Has unlimited vacation.

Cons

Company has a culture of hiring externally rather than recognizing internal performance. Internal promotions are very rare unless you are entry-level. Of all the places I have worked, this is the most externally-focused for new talent, so it is highly likely your first job will be the last one you hold unless you're coming in as somebody's friend. Very little promotion from within to Director/VP levels. When new director jobs open up, first instinct of company is to pass over everybody inside and figure out which outside company trained people right for the role.

Either be honest about how you look externally for candidates and stop lying to us about how you promote from within, or start recognizing the talent you have before it all wises up and decides to leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professionally keeps me hungry...!!! Which makes me want to learn more and contribute more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Professionally Stimulating
    Fun place to work
    Great work-life balance
    Fantastic Management
    Flexible working hours
    Company Parties and lot of interaction with the top management

Cons

I have been here for a year and do not see any cons! It is a a very productive enviornement.

Keep the momentum going....
    Cross training Employees as we grow
    Regular Bench Marking

The key to promotion is the competition

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time

Pros

Having to come up with 20 words on the plus side is hard because it was an awful experience and I ran as quickly as possible. I did make some friends who I hope to work with again at a more functional company that is much less political.

Cons

Aerohive doesn't trust current employees to do new things, so you will spend a lot of time listening to management talk about how hard it is to hire talent to do new things for the company. Most managers would much rather leave the job open for a year while the market moves on than give anybody a chance to do something. We hear a lot from management about how we were going to be a cloud company, but we couldn't attract the necessary talent and didn't let any of the smart people internally figure things out. The only way I saw to break this was to come in with a job offer from the competition, so the path to promotion starts with an exit interview.

Let your employees grow inside Aerohive, otherwise they'll grow externally. When current employees spend a lot of time listening to you talk about how you need something but they aren't good enough, they leave.

Punishes failure and does not reward success

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The IPO means the job is stable, as long as sales keep up I guess. It is hard to come up with many good things to say other than payroll happens like you expect. The parking lot empties out fast, so I guess hours are ok.

Cons

This is the most command-and-control culture I've worked for. Your ideas are good if a VP likes them, not good if they don't. If you gather facts, the VPs will just come up with reasons why your research doesn't matter and you are still wrong. Mid-level managers are afraid to make decisions because they might disagree with what everybody thinks. You are blamed for wrong decisions, but never late decisions.

The hierarchy makes it easily the least innovative company I’ve worked for. An idea needs to be perfect with a clear way of making money immediately to be good, and even then it needs to succeed straight away or you were obviously stupid. Failure is not accepted as a part of doing business, it is a way to punish the people who work for you. Many managers blame their employees for failures to avoid looking bad. Paralysis means that the competition is innovating faster by taking risks. The place has all the slowness of Cisco without the stability or mindshare.

If you still are considering working here, get the best title you can. It's very rare to get promoted, so get the title you need before you walk in the door.

Appreciate your current employees, and recognize you hired many of them for their expertise. Listen to them if they have something you don't, otherwise they are just trophies.

Be willing to accept failure and ideas that address customer problems that are not yet a business, otherwise you will get beat by companies that are willing to invest in risky ventures. Your customers need you to take risks. If they wanted to buy from a safe company, they would buy from Cisco.

Take some risks with the people who work with you. They may not have done the job, but if they can't grow with you, they will grow elsewhere.

Great place if you want to analyze and debate everything

I worked at Aerohive Networks for more than a year

Pros

Aerohive will never commit a mistake because every decision must be looked at a hundred times leaving no stone unturned. Of course, the competition then passes you, but hey, you didn't fail, right?

Hours are not bad. Since the IPO, the parking lot empties out around 5-6. You won't have to work hard.

Cons

The company is allergic to making decisions, and basically tries to do everything all the time, with the result being that none of it is done well. There is zero accountability when things aren't done well.

There is no growth. Managers pretend that you can advance to motivate you, but after they don't promote you, the message is pretty clear. You will never be promoted if you disagree with anybody important, and when they are wrong the company suffers.

When you want to do something, commit and don't be afraid to make a mistake. Remember that employees are people and have goals other than maintaining your wealth.

OK company that pays well

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation is higher than industry and they offer good benefits. Unlimited vacation policy is one of the perks. For those reasons, I gave them two stars.

Cons

The culture took a turn for the worse after IPO. Change in management is causing a flood of turnovers. Sales and engineers come and go. This is seen across all departments. Only the employees pre-IPO are treated well. Newbies forget it. You have to work really hard for a promotion or know the right people.

Cut the politics and start paying attention to the culture. Hire more sales and engineers pronto.

The Worst Start Up Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have some great employees working there -- unfortunately they're all miserable.

Cons

Mgmt finds no value in their employees and finds no issue with mistreating them. The turnover at this company is absolutely ridiculous. Mgmt failed to implement functional business processes on the road to their IPO, and lost sight of their culture in the process. Employees are nothing more than a disposable commodity here -- and when you find a better opportunity, they'll pretend they value you in an attempt to keep you -- but they're just lying to you, again.

Employees are your number one asset. Let go of the toxic "leadership" you have in place and replace them with people who have more than an inflated ego to work with... maybe people who at the very least actually care about the employees, or their happiness.

Terrible company, with terrible values and terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Aerohive Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pro I have are for some of the people I met, who are now my friends

Cons

Everything. Growth, expressing ideas, innovation, speaking your mind. Executive staff lost sight of what could have been a great company. They discriminate and only promote you if you are 1) a friend of the management or 2) keep quiet and fall in line. They don't care about the employees that make up the company. They care about themselves. This place is like being in an abusive relationship. It will bring you so far down, you won't believe that there is something better out there. When you do finally leave and see things clearly, you'll realize what a dysfunctional, crazy place it is to work there. The favoritism, the less than market salaries, the culture- everything sucks. Don't waste your time and energy on this place. It will suck the life out of you.

Listen to your employees. Take what they say into consideration or there will be no more company to run. And take a real hard look at your inside sales leadership.

Worked for Aerohive Networks? Contribute to the Community!