Aerojet Rocketdyne

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.6

Warren M. Boley, Jr.

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off (in 17 reviews)

• 9/80 Schedule was pretty nice, until the crap (recession) hit the fan (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • And communication here has always been an issue -- I don't think the upper management has a pulse on the organization (in 7 reviews)

• Old and run down buildings and work environment (although this is more of an industry-wide problem than one specific to AR (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing company with friendly, experienced employees and great opportunities for engineering interns.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were friendly, supportive, and very knowledgeable. Safety was primary concern. Pay was excellent for an intern. The projects completed were actually valuable to the business and had a direct impact on profitability. Coastal plant location.

Cons

Aging workforce with limited amount of young engineers. Slow-paced work environment. Technology out of date. No mentor assigned to interns. Training was lacking. Poor introduction to the job - first two weeks were very slow.

The pace is slow, boring, unchallenging, it's a VERY old facility and culture is not open to new ideas.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

there is some interesting technology to learn

Cons

working with "bargaining groups". the union workforce really know how to work the system for their own benefit with an employment entitlement mentality.

A proud company that is slowly sinking.

Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time

Pros

-Amazingly intelligent coworkers. It's rocket science. The greybeards have been working with rockets for their entire careers.
    -Decent career mobility. There are many different fields, and many different locations.
    -Interesting work. It's rocket science!

Cons

-The feeling that the company's best days are behind it.
    -Most people are looking forward to retirement, or are working on an exit strategy.
    -Stifling bureaucracy. The company was 25,000+ employees in the 1960s; we have the same level of bureaucracy as then, but one tenth of the employees.
    -Company refuses to invest in itself. We lose business because we will only invest in research or new equipment if somebody else foots the bill. This worked during the cold war, but not now.

-Figure out how to become competitive in the new launch market. The $65 million spent this spring buying back stock could have been put to better use investing in ourselves (capital equipment and/or R&D), or paying down debt.
    -Management spent a ton of money to buy a dying competitor (Rocketdyne). This would have been a brilliant move twenty years earlier, but was a colossal mistake when actually done.

Still loving it

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, decent benefits and interesting products

Cons

I've worked at several companies. The issues AR has are no worse than anywhere else. Staying competitive and generating growth are always difficult.

Stop managing by consensus. Be less risk averse. Just stop the bureaucracy. All companies should stop buying into iso 9000.

What a disappointment!

Current Employee - Assembly in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Assembly in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is not hard to learn and even easier to perfect.

Cons

Sit around with nothing to do a lot of the time and in the small chance there is work it normally lands on the weekends.

Plan your jobs better.

Shrinking

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is quit good.

Cons

They are downsizing the workforce.

This company is in a Steep Decline. Run! Do not walk away.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have nothing against Heritage Rocketdyne employyes. I'm Heritage Aerojet. I think we are in the same boat. I can't think of any pros except the people that work here are great. Too bad Executive Management doesn't understand how valuable their people are to the company. Warren Boley told employees at an all-hands meeting that if they don't like working here they can go work for Boeing. There were over 400 witnesses.

Cons

Two huge strategic decisions have sent this company into a tailspin; the hugely unsuccessful and unpopular Oracle ERP implementation that has crippled operations, supply chain, and finance in most of the company at a cost of over $100M, and the acquisition of Rocketdyne. Layoffs and furloughs show how desperate the company has become. There are more layoffs planned for the next few years - Engineers are next. This is all presented in a cost savings proposal sent to the government. The European venture is another failure. Morale is at an all time low and attrition is very high. Because of these failures the company has become cash poor and expenses are astronomically high. Smart people are leaving the company before the next round of layoffs. The company is run my consultants (one major reason behind the failed ERP implementation). Employees are hoping we are acquired by a company that knows the business. Benefits are the bare minimum, there is no recognition for exceeding performance expectations, and the new salary structure makes it impossible to get a decent raise. All the principles of Organizational Design have been violated. Training and career grwoth opportunites are non-existent. Four years ago this was a great place to work.

You can't give any advice to the Executive Management. They are old school. Warren "the Bully" Boley is one of the most arrogent and obnoxious people I have ever met. The layers of SVPs and VPs are nearly as bad. I'm taking the next opportunity out of here.

Terrible company

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

interesting work, if you can work on it without being micromanaged.

Cons

very unfair management. If you are not one of 'them' (chinese) they will not respect you or give you good work. they have a brotherhood that gives each other the top projects and top raises. They make the ones who know more (usually not asian) do the initial start up and number crunching on difficult problems only to give it to one of their 'own' when the problem is in the latter stages almost ready for a solution and to be presented to upper management.

get new people who want to hire outsiders who will stay and be respected.

Great people, but Corporate gets it wrong.

Former Employee - Process Engineer
    Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time

Pros

Worked with a great team of people, even at other sites. Benefits were decent with some flexibility with work schedules (as long as it would support the customer's needs).

Cons

Management preaches a good line, but has some troubles walking the walk. They promote training, but "never had the budget" to allow for it (unless you paid for it and on your own time). Too focused on Defense contracts. Still recovering from the decision to "acquire" Rocketdyne.

Be willing to expand into other markets.

Rocketdyne Los Angeles used to be a very good place to work with good opportunities. Things have definitely slowed down.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Canoga Park, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Canoga Park, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some very exciting rocket engine and other high-tech projects. The people who work here are all dedicated and helpful to each other. Decent compensation and benefits packages, though those have declined as Rocketdyne has been sold from one competitor to another.

Cons

Management has often relied on furloughs, early retirement and layoffs instead of successfully generating new business. They are having a tough time responding to the new competitive environment in the launch business. The reliance on gov't contracts and money has really hindered the company's potential.

Think and Act outside the box.

Aerojet Rocketdyne Photos

New entry level and interns hires in Summer 2013
Employees volunteering their time in the community
Aerojet Rocketdyne employees cleaning up our communiity

+ Add Photo