Aerojet Rocketdyne

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.5

Warren M. Boley, Jr.

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off (in 17 reviews)

• 9/80 Schedule was pretty nice, until the crap (recession) hit the fan (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • And communication here has always been an issue -- I don't think the upper management has a pulse on the organization (in 7 reviews)

• Old and run down buildings and work environment (although this is more of an industry-wide problem than one specific to AR (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Stability in Question

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne

Pros

The people who work at Aerojet are some of the best. The 9/80 work schedule has a lot of positives and the holiday shutdown gives everyone an opportunity to relax and get some down time. The type of work is exciting for the most part and brings some good challenges.

Cons

Management needs to be cleaned out starting a the top. Furloughs on the backs of the salaried is unfair especially in light of the bonuses that the top are still getting. It feels like this place is getting run into the ground. Pensions are a thing of the past and medical benefits are far too costly.

Take a look from within and clean up your house. We don't need all the layers of management and we have enough VP's and Directors. Rather than force more furloughs on the work force, think about foregoing some of your bonus pool. Greed is going to be the undoing of this once great company.

a company not growing anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great people to work with
    Lots of technically challenging problems to solve

Cons

there is no more any funding for research and development
    management fails to recognize the workers other than management

think outside the box

I was so disillusioned at the low moral

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm a space enthusiast so I was so excited at first to be working on space products. Given the opportunity to learn about rocket thrusters was very rewarding.

Cons

I was told "we can't have engineers doing what they want". That should have so been a red flag. If you want to use innovation to improve products, you won't being doing it there. If you want to design new, modern space products, you won't. The product designs ended in the 80's and 90's so the "engineering" work is just testing and making reports to customers. This work involves massive paperwork so that we look professional because, you know, lots of paperwork and reports look "professional". There are several middle managers who seem to depressed about their life and work because they often get rude, insulting and angry. Especially if you tell them you have an idea to improve the products. Sad, because they have the manufacturing base, equipment, and customer links to move forward to new a future of modern products. But, because of the stick-in-the-mud culture, I don't think this will ever happen. Maybe it will for their competitors in Denver but, not here.

Advice to Management. Huh? Management takes advice?

Poor Corporate Management

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne

Pros

Great team building and cooperative management at the grass-roots level, none at the senior corporate level.

Cons

Loss of foresight and objectivity on a corporate level leading to an overall loss of productivity and disillusionment in the main work force. Very poor connectivity between the ivory tower and the typical assembly line worker.

Too late to expect improvements other than from the union.

Makes you proud to work there, but you will be using ancient technology

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people. Beautiful campus . Gave me a sense of pride to work there . I really lifestyle people.

Cons

Impossible to change any processes or make real improvements due to the difficulty in altering 40-50 year old rocket engine design. The place can really be stuck in the 60s or 70s.

None really.

Exciting work in Rocket industry.

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with employees that care about their end product.
    Leading a team of very talented tradesmen in an industry that helps protect our military.

Cons

Management and Executives are antagonistic. They are seemingly trying to end operations in California.

ASK the work force what they need/want. The union management is as corrupt as the company management.

On its way out the door.

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The weather could be worse. Some interesting programs. The wildlife on the plant is interesting and the core cadre still seems to want to do good work.

Cons

Business Development doesn't enlist engineering anymore. New programs are pitched to try to get the most expensive program RFQ issued instead of being practical in a new age of affordability. Bought a company for $.5B that was worth half that price with a poor customer relationship. Hypocrisy in the highest levels of management. Furloughs implemented to salvage the AR Upper Mgmt Charitable Trust Fund.

Go management lean and let the doers dictate the direction of the company and means to get there. Then stand back. The doers look a bit farther than you with your 1 year contracts with a prayer and options at the end.

Growing company with friendly, experienced employees and great opportunities for engineering interns.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were friendly, supportive, and very knowledgeable. Safety was primary concern. Pay was excellent for an intern. The projects completed were actually valuable to the business and had a direct impact on profitability. Coastal plant location.

Cons

Aging workforce with limited amount of young engineers. Slow-paced work environment. Technology out of date. No mentor assigned to interns. Training was lacking. Poor introduction to the job - first two weeks were very slow.

Antares go boom boom

Former Employee - Structural Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Structural Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pudding, moon pies and karaoke. Nothing says morale booster like nerds singing katie perry songs...

Also according to kathy redd "having an hsa is kind of like having a pension plan"

Cons

They spent all there money on the merger and old junky russian engines. They blew up antares with the ruskies stuff after they tested it at stennis and saw it was garbage. They are out of tricks. They gots no cash homie!

Hire another lumberjack/roadie/vinyard apprentice/ sci fi author as your vp of engineering. That worked out well...

The pace is slow, boring, unchallenging, it's a VERY old facility and culture is not open to new ideas.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

there is some interesting technology to learn

Cons

working with "bargaining groups". the union workforce really know how to work the system for their own benefit with an employment entitlement mentality.

Aerojet Rocketdyne Photos

New entry level and interns hires in Summer 2013
Employees volunteering their time in the community
Aerojet Rocketdyne employees cleaning up our communiity

+ Add Photo