Aerojet Rocketdyne
www.rocket.com Rancho Cordova, CA 5000+ Employees

Aerojet Rocketdyne Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Warren M. Boley, Jr.

Pros:
  • "9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off"
    in 14 reviews
  • "9/80 Schedule was pretty nice, until the crap (recession) hit the fan"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior/middle management Is stale and not facilitating the change needed for growth"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Old and run down buildings and work environment (although this is more of an industry-wide problem than one specific to AR"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good people, great programs to work on

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are friendly and professional

ConsOlder buildings need a lot of upgrade

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employers explore new ways to work more efficiently.

Good Company, stimulating work

Test Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than a year

ProsLocal culture is almost like family. Teams work well together and I had the opportunity to work on many interesting projects. Never a boring moment. My supervisor was always positive and listened to input along with selecting me for some pretty cool projects. Immediate supervisor did not micro-managing the projects I worked on which was a big plus as well. Working here allowed me to expand my personal experience so I could be of greater use to the company. 9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off.

ConsThey keep you busy so there is not much time for training unless it is critical for your job duties. If your department is swamped, expect to be asked to work multiple shifts or overtime on a daily basis until the project is complete. They do not count overtime until you put in 8 hrs, so if you work only 7.5 hrs of overtime during the two week pay period, you will not get that overtime pay.

Legacy Rocketdyner

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteresting, highly visible projects in Aerospace and Energy. When you've made a name for yourself, gained people's trust, then you're in. People are smart, friendly and helpful when they have the time. When your task is interesting, it fulfills your passions in every way. Because of the high visibility of the programs the company is involved in, your are often the envy of professionals of all kinds. You'll never use the generous vacation hours allotted for fear of being replaced on a program, but it's nice to know that you have that much, just in case.

ConsCareer stagnation, workforce reduction. Mine would be a cautionary tale of staying too long (15+ yrs, I might be identified if I'm too exact here...) with a company whose base is shrinking. There are still too many people for too little work. Loyalty to the company and inarticulate competence does not pay well. This is only my impression, but it may also reflect the state of the company. Still, I have not been laid off in all these years, and that's in a way their acknowledgement of my relative value. There is a palpable sense that the company is going to be completely taken apart before it is somehow put back together, and that will hit all of us personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour efforts are much appreciated (by me, at least), considering the difficulties you have faced over the years. Thanks for the sobering, but truthful communications as of late.

The merger has been positive for this business.

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Management is fully committed to propulsion and energetic products. This was not the case for the legacy Pratt & Whitney side of the business. Remember that this company was formed in June 2013 and reviews before this are of the legacy companies.
- I feel the work environment is getting better and am happy to be a part of our company's improvement. In fact, I felt compelled to write this review because I didn't think AR was getting a fair shake on Glassdoor.
- Work/Life balance is good. Salaries seem competitive although you could probably get more by job-shopping.
- Management is actively working to build on the best parts of the legacy companies, and the company is much stronger together than it was apart.
- The products can be anywhere from interesting to downright badass!
- I believe the management does value its employees, although it has unfortunately had to lay some off.

Cons- Health insurance isn't very good at all.
- Old and run down buildings and work environment (although this is more of an industry-wide problem than one specific to AR.)
- Heavy debt load from financing merger leaves some questions on long term financial stability and what this will mean for employment outlook, merit raises, and performance pay.
- Some might say there are too many vice presidents and not enough workers. That's fine by me because I hope to be one of them someday.

Advice to Senior Management- Legacy companies shed a lot of support staff, which means these business functions were dumped off on to the engineers and projects. Use the greater strength of the combined company to better support the engineering staff with administrative tasks. Once the hurdles to doing business are out of the way, you'll be amazed at how we can innovate and get stuff done!
- Keep driving the final step of the merger to form "one company" and "one culture." The more we integrate and the less pillared we are, the more competitive we can become.
- Many employees are old and bitter. Don't let them poison the minds of younger talent.

Peaked with the Space Shuttle and down hill ever since

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent technical people, good work-life balance, great location in SoCal, interesting projects and programs in the past

ConsBureaucratic, previous Jurassic Park executives did not have vision for the future that is now being realized, too many different owners whipsawed culture and processes,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet vision, expand technology-not bonuses, focus on your best asset - the employees

no longer fun - shadow of its former industry respected self

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 10 years

Proswho doesnt want to be a rocket scientist? blue origin will pay a premium to get you.

Conswarren Boley recently announced that we were highly inefficient - 1 out of every 3 engineers is watching the other two - he's fixing that by laying off another 113 engineers at the former Rocketdyne. coupled with 4 previous years of layoffs we have lost most of the experienced people and over half of the engineers. Warren did say that UTC covered up the inefficiencies - so expect some more fireworks ( nasa has already called him on the carpet for his other insults). many employees lost big on benfits and pension in the last sale - even now we get the utc medical as a holdover but without any of the bonuses and we dont get any of the company contributions to offset costs. current operations management is incompetent, running 354% over budget

Advice to Senior Managementwarren is a buzzkill, who dirt does he have that got him into a leadership position? I dont see him getting any new work from nasa or airforce or any of the other groups he maligned anytime soon. all efforts seem to be to eliminate the rocketdyne name within 5 years by moving all work to heritage aerojet - no money being invested in los angeles.

Could be a great place to work.

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne

ProsDescent salaries with performance based raises
Very interesting projects

ConsManagement is disconnected with employees

Limited opportunity

Engineering (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had competent and fun coworkers

ConsLots of beurocracy and meetings and useless busy work

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is your job to make the engineering easier but you always seem to make it harder.

Good company with interesting work, expensive location compared to the much of the nation.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAerojet Rocketdyne develops a wide variety of systems, so there is a possibility that you can work on lots of projects. Great people to work with who are willing to help.

ConsMany projects are dependent on the government and so you spend lots of time on a project, then it gets cancelled. It is difficult to not get pigeon-holed into single job functions or projects for many years.

It isn't as good as I hoped, but it's still a decent job.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI get to work with some very experienced, intelligent, and passionate professionals.
The company has had very few layoffs while I have worked for it. Management works hard to find jobs for people when they are not needed in their primary functions.
Generous amount of vacation time
9/80 work schedule gives every other Friday off
Friendly environment

ConsManagement and customers leave many engineers feeling stifled and unable to change things.
Human Resources restrictions can delay promotions for many people, even for the high performers.
Salary is alright for single people without children, but leave most people feeling dissatisfied.
There are a lot of Type A personalities with a tenacity for criticism. It can be constructive, but it can also cause hostility and defensiveness among coworkers.
Many feel that several programs and the company overall have too much upper management, and that it comes at a cost to paying the workers what they deserve.
As of early 2014, the company is still working to integrate legacy Aerojet and legacy Rocketdyne together, so patience is required with organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate that times are tough overall for the industry, but I encourage you to invest more resources into trying out employees ideas for new technology. There are always risks, but it is good for morale for the company to be willing to take chances for employees to prove themselves.

Worked for Aerojet Rocketdyne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aerojet Rocketdyne reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aerojet Rocketdyne CEO Warren M. Boley, Jr. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Aerojet Rocketdyne employees.