Aerojet Rocketdyne
www.rocket.com Rancho Cordova, CA 5000+ Employees

Aerojet Rocketdyne Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Warren M. Boley, Jr.

Pros:
  • "9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off"
    in 14 reviews
  • "9/80 Schedule was pretty nice, until the crap (recession) hit the fan"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior/middle management Is stale and not facilitating the change needed for growth"
    in 3 reviews
  • "no pension - average health care benefits-"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great product subject matter, long hours with low pay

Project Engineering Specialist (Current Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsWork with really smart people and on exciting technologies.

ConsBudget is tight! Require long working hours with no pay for extra hours worked. Instigated a manditory 5 day furlough leave in 2014

Not the same company it used to be.

Chatsworth, CA

ProsHeritage Rocketdyne has gone through several changes in the last 10 years. I started when it was under Rockwell International. Then the space division was sold to Boeing. Soon Rocketdyne alone was sold to Pratt & Whitney and then last year they were acquired by Aerojet. I used to enjoy what I did and upper management listened to our suggestions to improve quality and procedures. We were given many opportunities to work on developmental projects. The benefits are good, but have gotten more expensive with each transition. The company is good about working with you on flexibility of your time and encourages continuing your education to further your degree. They will pay for your college expenses and reward you with company shares upon completion of your degree. (Not completely sure if Aerojet carried this over) You can bank your vacation as long as you don't exceed the 1-3/4 amount per year. The union negotiates what paid holidays the company will take.

ConsThe demand for rocket engines isn't what it used to be especially since the end of the Space Shuttle program. Since the Shuttle program ended, obviously the company must reduce the work force to remain competitive, but a lot of good people have been laid off. Morale is poor due to increase in workload of the people who remain to pick up the slack and increasing layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating new VP positions and focus on the talent and skills your company posses and broaden the possible opportunities that lay outside the propulsion and energy business. Learn from the company you purchased what procedures and processes work to make them a success rather than force your ways of business upon them. Together learning from each other, things can only get better if, you want it to.

So-So

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. Feel good about involvement with product. Decent benefits.

ConsTurmoil over sales & acquisitions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved my short time there

Business Support (Former Employee)
    Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsVery cool facilities, high-tech industry, tours were fantastic. People were awesome to work alongside and were very knowledgable and easy to approach

ConsI didnt find a con when i worked there

Advice to Senior ManagementCan seem cluttered and seemingly overlapped in some areas

Limited opportunity,

Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompany follows a very structured organization. Significant emphasis on control of production costs. Excellent technical knowledge & advanced manufacturing processes.
    Compensation & benes are good, better than most.

ConsLimited new product growth areas, limited growth in DoD & NASA customers budgets. Clash of company culture & values due to recent acquisitions. Management expects employees to do internal technical development on their own time. Multiple sites reduce opportunities for collaboration of best teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd new non- defense customers ASAP. Stop whining about reality. Growth opportunities are not free, make investment for future.

Steeped in age-old unfair practices. It's like stepping back in time - pre Civil Rights movement.

ProsEvery other Friday off and end of year shut-down.

Consupward mobility based upon who you know, not skill; unnecessarily competitive; won't tell how much they pay for a job, and blame you if you make considerably less than everyone else. All employees are unhappy. No collaboration. Not a team environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your people; require job knowledge for upward mobility. Be fair. Provide salary range information to new hires.

Aerojet Management is distrustful and has lied to employees

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Canoga Park, CA

ProsThe general workforce is extremely dedicated and hardworking. The new combined company has some really incredible products and the rocket launch success is second to none. Scott Seymour is CEO, Warren Boley is president of Aerojet.

ConsPay is low except for upper management. Management is not the least bit interested in getting the tools and processes the workers need to be more productive. Managers are only worried about kissing butt and manipulating the numbers to look good. Managers will throw employees "under the bus" in a heartbeat if that serves their cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they are important to your business, because they are. Live up to your promises, and pay the Rocketdyne employees the proper amount for their lost pension, not some low-ball 2.6%, that is a plain joke. Stop hiring VP after VP and maybe you would not have to furlough the "TRUE" workers. I accepted the purchase of Rocketdyne by Aerojet with an open mind, now I am sorry it ever happened. I will be leaving shortly & I think most the smart employees will too.

Bunch of Good Ole Boyz in Culpepper

Calibration Tech (Former Employee)
    Culpepper, TN

ProsThe work and skill level required to get the job was minimal with good pay

ConsIf you are not one of the Good Ole Boys you had better look else where. Unfair business practices and willing to stay in the PAST vs moving forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to perform MORE Internal Audits especially on Upper Level Management to ensure that they are following company procedures/guidlines

Interesting work but tough times for aerospace

ProsMy management (at varying levels) have had an open door policy, are interested in my views and suggestions, and are willing to help my career progress. Have been a part of some very interesting projects/programs over the years. My team mates work well together and support each other. Good benefits.

ConsNot cons but concerns: 1) recent company merger (Aerojet with former Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne), potential for great things but still in a bit of flux - a number of layoffs have taken place and I expect there will be more; 2) tough times for the aerospace industry in general.

Good company to work for

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
    Canoga Park, CA

ProsGood career paths. Good salary. Good 401K

Consno pension - average health care benefits- no pension - average health care benefits-

Worked for Aerojet Rocketdyne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aerojet Rocketdyne reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aerojet Rocketdyne CEO Warren M. Boley, Jr. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Aerojet Rocketdyne employees.