Aerojet Rocketdyne

www.rocket.com

Aerojet Rocketdyne Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Warren M. Boley, Jr.

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule so you get every other Friday off(in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance is amazing (it has to be because the work is slow and boring)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low except for upper management(in 4 reviews)

• Senior/middle management Is stale and not facilitating the change needed for growth(in 3 reviews)

True animosity between management and the union.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat location. Valuable products for Defense of our Nation. Very interesting work albeit extremely antiquated equipment and facilities.

ConsManagement makes snap decisions without concern for employees. Union leaders and members fight anything management wants to implement with no regard to outcome. Resulting in a violent relationship destined to destroy itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are the backbone of your company, treat them like you care.

Disillusioned

Manager (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsGood work-life balance; 9/80 schedule; really good people to work with (before becoming fearful of layoffs); some of the smartest people that you'll ever meet (if they're not laid off); interesting products and technologies.

ConsBloated management; awash in VPs & senior management; chief:indian ratio is way too high; currently going through waves of layoffs; stressed employees are now worried about keeping their jobs rather than making meaningful contributions; employee focus on business and product has shifted to the ongoing drama of organizational makeovers; adverse affect on employees surviving the layoffs as well as those 'let go'.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnwise destruction of employee morale/enthusiasm/cooperation to 'fix' the AR financial picture in the wake of the Rocketdyne acquisition & ERP implementation; dubious politic with regard to current downsizing plan execution.

Tough growth for an entry level female engineer.

Associate Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Culpeper, VA

ProsThe company is very laid back, no one is watching over your shoulder to get things done, as long as you have good work ethics. Mostly everyone, mostly male, are friendly and willing to help and answer your questions (check when I say mostly). The people you work with in general are very knowledgeable and willing to work hard. We also have great holidays, basically 11 paid holidays, from which there is like 7 days during Xmass, so you do not have to burn vacation days to spend time with your family. Regularly, we have from Xmass day to New Years day, paid days off.

ConsI started as an entry level Engineer, and had to nag with questions non stop for the first 6 months. I had no experience and there was no clear structure as to what my job responsibilities were, so I felt constantly lost and without things to do. Once I started to learned the basis, I started to challenge myself and started to learn more and more about the daily operations. I feel now that I am taking a bit more seriously than before, since I have had some time now, to prove management that I can be good at what I do.
    There is also a huge age gap, Aerojet Rocketdyne did not hire personnel for the longest time, so you can see a bunch of old timers (very knowledgeable) and a bunch of people like me (beginners).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rocketdyne once Rocked!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chatsworth, CA

ProsPeople at legacy Rocketdyne are hard working folks. Life was good when contracts were plentiful. Employees actually cared about the work they were doing and were excited to see the end result via a launch. Times were full of proud working folk that shared together in the accomplishments of the company. Upper management shared along with the employees and actually conversed with employees on a regular basis. Open door policy was appreciated yet hardly used.

ConsEverything downhill since Aerojet purchase. Not to many happy employees left. Very sad to see this decline. Very low morale. Constantly walking on eggshells wondering if you will be let go. Aerojet claimed to have zero layoffs in 15 years yet within a year of purchasing Rocketdyne had a major layoff. Many families were turned upside down. Current employees are not happy with management and have not recovered from the last layoff in March. News of more layoffs is making current employees look elsewhere for work. Many have already found employment elsewhere. Sad to see a Valley landmark shrink so fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees. Make sure your employees are really doing the work they are paid to do and not just saying what you want to hear. Listen to your employees and understand what they are telling you.

Great product subject matter, long hours with low pay

Project Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsWork with really smart people and on exciting technologies.

ConsBudget is tight! Require long working hours with no pay for extra hours worked. Instigated a manditory 5 day furlough leave in 2014

I loved my short time there

Business Support (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsVery cool facilities, high-tech industry, tours were fantastic. People were awesome to work alongside and were very knowledgable and easy to approach

ConsI didnt find a con when i worked there

Advice to Senior ManagementCan seem cluttered and seemingly overlapped in some areas

Not the same company it used to be.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chatsworth, CA

ProsHeritage Rocketdyne has gone through several changes in the last 10 years. I started when it was under Rockwell International. Then the space division was sold to Boeing. Soon Rocketdyne alone was sold to Pratt & Whitney and then last year they were acquired by Aerojet. I used to enjoy what I did and upper management listened to our suggestions to improve quality and procedures. We were given many opportunities to work on developmental projects. The benefits are good, but have gotten more expensive with each transition. The company is good about working with you on flexibility of your time and encourages continuing your education to further your degree. They will pay for your college expenses and reward you with company shares upon completion of your degree. (Not completely sure if Aerojet carried this over) You can bank your vacation as long as you don't exceed the 1-3/4 amount per year. The union negotiates what paid holidays the company will take.

ConsThe demand for rocket engines isn't what it used to be especially since the end of the Space Shuttle program. Since the Shuttle program ended, obviously the company must reduce the work force to remain competitive, but a lot of good people have been laid off. Morale is poor due to increase in workload of the people who remain to pick up the slack and increasing layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating new VP positions and focus on the talent and skills your company posses and broaden the possible opportunities that lay outside the propulsion and energy business. Learn from the company you purchased what procedures and processes work to make them a success rather than force your ways of business upon them. Together learning from each other, things can only get better if, you want it to.

So-So

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. Feel good about involvement with product. Decent benefits.

ConsTurmoil over sales & acquisitions.

Limited opportunity,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompany follows a very structured organization. Significant emphasis on control of production costs. Excellent technical knowledge & advanced manufacturing processes.
    Compensation & benes are good, better than most.

ConsLimited new product growth areas, limited growth in DoD & NASA customers budgets. Clash of company culture & values due to recent acquisitions. Management expects employees to do internal technical development on their own time. Multiple sites reduce opportunities for collaboration of best teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd new non- defense customers ASAP. Stop whining about reality. Growth opportunities are not free, make investment for future.

Steeped in age-old unfair practices. It's like stepping back in time - pre Civil Rights movement.

ProsEvery other Friday off and end of year shut-down.

Consupward mobility based upon who you know, not skill; unnecessarily competitive; won't tell how much they pay for a job, and blame you if you make considerably less than everyone else. All employees are unhappy. No collaboration. Not a team environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your people; require job knowledge for upward mobility. Be fair. Provide salary range information to new hires.

Worked for Aerojet Rocketdyne? Contribute to the Community!