Aerospace Corporation

Aerospace Corporation Reviews in El Segundo, CA

Updated May 8, 2014

Aerospace Corporation President, CEO, and Director Wanda M. Austin

Wanda M. Austin

Pros
  • Very familial culture; employees seem to really value work-life balance and treat each other as more than just co-workers (in 12 reviews)

• None, really, since their strongly-proclaimed "job security" is a myth (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's gov work, as long as you don't commit a felony, you don't get fired, which also means there's not incentive to work hard (in 3 reviews)

• Can be a little slow to move, but it is also the nature of the business (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unique work environment with lots of diverse work, but little mid-level advancement

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsVery interesting work opportunities on a variety of projects. The work you do really matters and helps improve national space programs. Engaging work and great benefits.

ConsThere's little advancement opportunities for early to mid-level career employees. Most internal positions screen out early-career hires indirectly with mandatory years of experience requirements, even if the applicant has all the qualifications minus the year requirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview all positions based off qualifications/if the person can accomplish the work versus "years-in-the-seat" requirements. Provide more company-wide training to expose mid-level employees to other areas of the company to discover potential new work.

Unique position to work on projects of national importance

Manager (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGood work/life balance, opportunity to do thorough technical work, strong commitment to people, contribute to projects important to US defense. Best-in-class IT security and personal autonomy is encouraged, although sometimes management must be convinced to see the light.

ConsOlder cohorts can be slow to change, seniority a little too entrenched. Employees are slow to embrace process optimization. Management hesitant to back employee technical decisions out of an overabundance of caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more young talent and be open to process change

Okay experience

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat facility, amenities/gym, pays well, social events for interns

ConsPace can be a little slow

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many great learning opportunities.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsHands on experience with opportunity to drive results.

ConsPolitics can be more important than performance

Rewarding experience working with highly professional personnel and on very interesting and challenging assignments

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsHighly professional, highly regarded with an excellent reputation in the industry, excellent pay and benefits, and one of the best firms in the USA to work at for persons over 50

ConsA bit too much like working in academia; fully dependent on government funding; aerospace industry is in a level to declining business outlook due to sequestration cuts

Aerospace Corporation is THE job for an aerospace geek!

Associate Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat minds, all in one place. For the caliber of work that is being accomplished, the place has a surprisingly easy-going atmosphere. If you like working on the latest aerospace technology problems while surrounded by great talent, this is the place for you.

ConsThe facilities and perks were not as nice as what you may expect nowadays from a typical Silicon Valley company.

Relaxed environment, good if you have family

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsRelaxed environment
    Matrix system for engineering dept, so you don't get bored
    You will have the opportunity to learn and use new technology IF you look for it. If you don't, you'll be stuck doing boring things.
    Telecommuting policy
    Good benefit (cost is actually pretty reasonable here)
    Unlimited sick days
    You can work part time, which is great if you have family/young children to take care of

ConsIf you don't try hard enough, you'll be stuck doing boring stuff
    Low pay, but I think it goes with the relaxed environment. Unlike other places, you're not going to be asked to work over time and if you do, you get over time pay.
    People are old... and pretty boring folks here....

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize young talent and pay them what they're worth before they go somewhere more exciting and pays more.

Good Place to work for stability

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsSalary is pretty good, when you include benefits

The job is very stable

The company works in a wide range of areas, and rewards those who go above and beyond.

The company has great values, and is very concerned with doing the "right thing"

ConsVERY old working populace (its one of the companies selling points for "experience"). Average age of 50 when I worked there.

The culture is pretty much old-school. Go in, work your hours, get out. While there is some comradery between employees and people are friendly in general, its pretty clear your job is to sit and work.

Everything goes at governmental paces, and there are lots of processes and regulations you need to go through in order to comply with the customer.

Even though I had just graduated I was left to work completely on my own. Which is good, because I owned the projects I worked on and had responsibility - but it was bad, because my only mentor was the Internet.

Because the company is primarily a defense contractor, the defense industry budget cuts are hurting. They need to switch more ops to working with companies like Space-X

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage collaboration between employees, and try to set up situations where employees can help each-other out on improving code.

Nice workplace, under-average pay

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsJob flexibility, alternate work schedules

ConsBelow-average pay, medical benefits getting more expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementGet pay in line with industry pay, and improve benefits cost-share

Learned many new ideas and techniques from coworkers

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsCo-workers are very nice and experienced. They give you many examples on how to do the right thing. Very good learning environment.

ConsNot many young people, mostly experienced individuals.

Worked for Aerospace Corporation? Contribute to the Community!