Aerospace Corporation

Aerospace Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Aerospace Corporation President, CEO, and Director Wanda M. Austin

Wanda M. Austin

Pros:
  • "Very familial culture; employees seem to really value work-life balance and treat each other as more than just co-workers"
    in 11 reviews
  • "None, really, since their strongly-proclaimed "job security" is a myth"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's gov work, as long as you don't commit a felony, you don't get fired, which also means there's not incentive to work hard"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Can be a little slow to move, but it is also the nature of the business"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unique position to work on projects of national importance

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work/life balance, opportunity to do thorough technical work, strong commitment to people, contribute to projects important to US defense. Best-in-class IT security and personal autonomy is encouraged, although sometimes management must be convinced to see the light.

ConsOlder cohorts can be slow to change, seniority a little too entrenched. Employees are slow to embrace process optimization. Management hesitant to back employee technical decisions out of an overabundance of caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more young talent and be open to process change

Good career stability

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are looking for a job with good career stability, then this company would be a very good choice. It offers interesting technical work, job stability, a great work/life balance, and a sense of pride and satisfaction by directly supporting national programs.

ConsCommuting to and from the company's main headquarters on the West Coast or on the East Coast can be a significant challenge. In general, the commute is manageable since the company offers a flexible work schedule like a 9/40 schedule.

Okay experience

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I worked at Aerospace Corporation as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat facility, amenities/gym, pays well, social events for interns

ConsPace can be a little slow

I had fun

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture in Aerospace slightly varies depending on the department, group, subdivision you are on. But in general:
 - strong dedication to continuous learning
 - steady work pace
 - good work and life balance
 - most people are friendly
 - great benefits

ConsSome downsides which I think are pretty common to corporation, in general:
 - takes a long time to get anything done
 - slow mobility - usually people rise through the ranks very slowly so if you are comfortable where you are at, that's great. If you want to do something new, that might be difficult
 - lots of gossiping
 - currently unstable with the government cutbacks

Advice to Senior ManagementI've always respected the senior management. The principles they set forth, e.g. "you hold the key", valuing their for employees above all else, and "technical excellence" are all admirable and some of the benchmark I apply when looking for new companies.

My main concern is directed towards middle management; where personal agenda tend to hinder progress and the depth of the hierarchy tend to stop things from getting done.

Challenging cutting edge technology in a high integrity environment.

Special Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Chantilly, VA

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRewarding work satisfaction as a contributor to national security.
High integrity company
Creative atmosphere in a placate environment.

ConsToo much government bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind another way to evaluate the customer's respect for you individual employees.

Many great learning opportunities.

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsHands on experience with opportunity to drive results.

ConsPolitics can be more important than performance

Rewarding experience working with highly professional personnel and on very interesting and challenging assignments

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHighly professional, highly regarded with an excellent reputation in the industry, excellent pay and benefits, and one of the best firms in the USA to work at for persons over 50

ConsA bit too much like working in academia; fully dependent on government funding; aerospace industry is in a level to declining business outlook due to sequestration cuts

Unpleasant abuse of young performers.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone, really, since their strongly-proclaimed "job security" is a myth. They laid off a significant proportion of employees in 2011.

ConsExtremely graying technical staff, most over 50. Although there are a few experienced-and-skilled oldsters, most are just coasting until retirement with a pension. Young staff are exploited to the benefit of the old and lazy senior segment of the workforce. Young staff also ARE NOT entitled to any pension; it's gone. Aerospace is basically a retirement home for ex-satellite-industry workers. Literally — about half of the staff have retired from other places before hire at Aerospace.

Overtime pay is reserved for those in the "old boy" network. Younger workers are frequently pushed to work overtime to meet deadlines, but the overtime pay "approval" typically appears THE WEEK AFTER the young employee has completed the work. This is an unethical end-run around paying high-performers for their efforts.

Paranoid and spiteful management. It is impossible to change Divisions, and you will be punished if you over-perform. Managers will say things like, "I didn't get to run a project until I had been here for 12 years, so I don't think you (junior employees) should be allowed to either." Furthermore, management will also frame and illegally fire high-performing young staff if they speak up about these inequities. Yes, for real; Aerospace punishes young talent.

Aerospace claims to be one of the "top 100 most etchical companies" in the EthiSphere™ list — EthiSphere™ sells simplistic HR-training web videos that all employees must waste valuable time watching, and produces the list for its highest-paying customers. Total BS in this respect.

I have seen extremely skilled employees suddenly kicked to the curb after having a medically significant event. The company has no respect for those who have contributed strongly to its reputation in the field.

DON'T dare to be a whistle-blower on the Federal level (of unethical or fraudulent behaviors) of management, or they will do their best to destroy your career and life, through kangaroo-court-style "hearings," illegal firings, and even more egregiously illegal activities (that I cannot mention here).

Office politics are king.

The Air Force/NRO is 90% of the annual budget. Any money brought in from other sources, even if DoD, will be rejected like an allergen. The company actually punishes employees who bring in money if it is not from a USAF source.

Salary is significantly below average for the aerospace industry. This is justified by management as being a consequence of the "perk" of having a rock-solid reputation for job security. But, oops!, Aerospace laid-off a significant proportion of their technical staff in 2011, so their promise of "guaranteed employment" is hollow. And, in any case, "guaranteed employment" ensures that a lot of dead wood is allowed to hang around for decades.

While there, I overheard a "Distinguished Scientist" on staff advise a young PhD staff-member with noisy data, "Have you tried measuring it three or four times, and then averaging the numbers? That is a classic, classic way to reduce noise." REALLY?!? ANY researcher, from a freshman college student on up, knows this. They also know that procedural error, sampling error, or intrinsic variation in manufactured devices may cause variation. The stupid is so strong that it hurts.

Management's focus is most strongly on "accurate recording of hours of effort" — of SALARIED technical staff. This is just begging for a class-action lawsuit, treating salaried staff as hourly employees, and (as stated above) only doling out pay for "extended work week (EWW)" overtime labor to management-favorites is another mechanism of unequal reward.

If one wishes to be happy at The Aerospace Corporation, then one must abandon any fantasies of professional skills development, non-USAF fundraising, or any expectation of NOT HAVING their managers steal credit for their accomplishments.

Seek a position at Aerospace Corp. only if you are painfully unimaginative, and think that "doing science" is merely taking data/pictures using expensive equipment. And do not dare to solve a problem using inexpensive bench-top equipment. You must use the expensive and shiny toys to investigate any problem, even if an instrument 1/100th of the cost will suffice. Aerospace has a serious problem with expensive-equipment worship, primarily because their customers (defense contractors) tend to have the same or BETTER analytical capabilities, making Aerospace ever more clearly a Cold War-era repository for has-beens and leeches of your tax dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementJump ship before all of the lifeboats are full!

Company giving up on it's mission of quality products.

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company has some smart people working for it, but it's getting harder to find them.

ConsThe management is all about getting themselves promoted or about looking good to their management. Many of the government customers lack respect for the mission of the company employees and combined with the lack of management support for mission success, the company is in decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your people, especially the ones that have technical talent. There are numerous hateful and abusive managers on staff.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Aerospace Corporation is THE job for an aerospace geek!

Associate Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat minds, all in one place. For the caliber of work that is being accomplished, the place has a surprisingly easy-going atmosphere. If you like working on the latest aerospace technology problems while surrounded by great talent, this is the place for you.

ConsThe facilities and perks were not as nice as what you may expect nowadays from a typical Silicon Valley company.

Worked for Aerospace Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aerospace Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aerospace Corporation CEO Wanda M. Austin. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Aerospace Corporation employees.