Aerospace Corporation

Updated December 8, 2014
3.9

Aerospace Corporation President, CEO, and Director Wanda M. Austin
Wanda M. Austin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good: Management expects high performance, but recognizes that you have a life (in 14 reviews)

• Longer days or shorter days as needed (within reason), and took advantage of the 9/80 schedule (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very difficult for the company to adopt new technology due to the fact that the average age of employees is something like 40 (in 5 reviews)

• There are a lot of people that are relatively old still walking the halls trying to do the normal day to day work without having basic computer skills (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Learning on the job as a Summer Intern.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Aerospace Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely nice and understanding of summer interns. Management usually gives an assignment to the interns and remains hands-off. This can be considered good or bad depending on the situation. The pay is competitive.

Cons

Much of the people working at the Aerospace Corporation was much older than myself. This generational gap made it difficult to relate with my co-workers.

Generally a decent place to work, but sometimes inconsistent and sometimes dry.

Former Employee - Guidance Analysis Engineer (MTS I) in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Guidance Analysis Engineer (MTS I) in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had pretty flexible hours and I did experience some manner of promotion while I worked at Aerospace. I was given a pretty good degree of autonomy working on various tools for rocket simulations, and given responsibility in working missions and in presenting to those managing the programs. Working launches was sometimes interesting, as was developing new tools to increase the simulations power. Made a couple friends, and found it to generally be a pleasant atmosphere, even under deadlines. Longer days or shorter days as needed (within reason), and took advantage of the 9/80 schedule. They let me save up vacation time and take a three and a half week vacation to Europe, and sick days were not an issue.

Cons

Work itself was fairly dry, what with it being independent analysis. And some directives were unclear or poorly thought out - I was assigned to work on a tool to improve the simulation, and after two years of it seeming without point it was cut. I was encouraged (pretty much told) to get my M.S. to continue my job, and it was implied that I would receive a promotion and a decent raise. After earning the degree, the promotion came, but late and with a disappointing raise compared to what I had come to expect. This must have been to do with the budget, as I was laid off along with a few hundred people a few months later. None of those were above a certain seniority level, though. I received a decent severance package, but it still stung to find out later that those who were eventually hired to fill the gap I left were starting at a higher pay than I had left with.

Be clear about expectations concerning promotion and career path. Attach actual value to merit for both staff and management.

Good benefits, stable choice for the mid-career professional

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic dedication to people, good work-life balance, strong benefits for growing families

Cons

A bit slow to change, not a place for fast promotion, few bonus/awards

Bring salaries into line with local (that is, Beach Cities) market, do a better job retaining younger employees, work harder at recruiting for open positions so they don't go fallow

Engineering Intern

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, great technology, fun work, I enjoyed everyday, it was challenging

Cons

Some people that I had to work with individuals were very picky about my work and were not good communicators.

Not a bad place to land

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The staff here are talented, the pay is ok, and it is relatively stable for the industry. The work can be interesting and the customers are very appreciative.

Cons

Limited upward mobility past a point. Managers hang on until they die -- literally. Silly attempts to modernize, re-brand, and reorganize.

"Term limits" for managers. Lateral them to staff positions after 8 years.

GLAD I LEFT

Former Employee - Can Not Say
    Former Employee - Can Not Say

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most employees are nice.

Cons

Lots of people afraid - won't speak up...they will be quietly punished.

Stay away unless your want your soul destroyed.

Work variety if you are one of the lucky ones.

Lots of tyrants in the company - everybody knows it ...they stay due to length of employment, poor job market, being older, younger ones leave because they can...the ones that stay are not much different than the old cronies in the company. Most women leaders are vicious and the ones that are not stay quiet.

Clean house all the way to the top.

Worked here as an intern and full time in software development

Former Employee - Software Developer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely laid back environment, I pretty much could do whatever I wanted and no one even followed up on me, as long as I got the job done in a reasonable amount of time.
    Good starting pay for an intern, started at $25.

Cons

EVERYONE IS OLD AS HELL.
    If you're a young intern, you'll probably get at most a part time position for a few hours a week, they hire old senior bags that have history with other big name companies.
    Technology here is absolutely behind, by many years. Everyone is used to the old style of doing things. There are a few employees that show they know the new stuff, but they don't go far with it because then they are not able to communicate with most of the people they're working with, so they just stick to old tech.
    Everyone here has an air of "I'm smarter than you" to them. They are all very smug and feel as if intelligence outweighs all other human attributes.
    A lot of people are fake, and suck up a lot, but I guess that's just corporate for you.
    Overall, it felt like I was working at a very smart retirement home in the 90s.

Explore into new technology, and really push it. Not hiring intelligent interns on full-time and giving full-time to seniors is the problem, there is a balance and for this company to progress from 90s tech, you have to strongly lean towards the newer generation.

I left Aerospace and started my own company and never looked back. I do not regret working here as it gave me A LOT of experience, especially with the corporate world and how things work.

If you're looking to be an intern here, try to look past the great pay that they give you and try to evaluate your sanity.

Good company, not for the young

Former Employee - Summer Intern
    Former Employee - Summer Intern

I worked at Aerospace Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They are usually flexible with your schedule. The company values are good and the required trainings for new employees stress these values pretty well.

Cons

The compensation is decent but the work environment for people fresh out of college is not ideal. It is very quiet and a laidback company in general.

Not Bad, Not great

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of diverse/interesting work.
    Good work/life balance.
    Paid overtime (sometimes)

Cons

Slow promotions.
    Value "experience" which really just means age.
    VERY risk adverse
    Lots of talking about doing something

Try something new.

Good company to retire with

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Aerospace Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work-environment. Great co-workers. Retirement benefits. Depending on the department you are in, you get to work on some cutting edge technology. Not required to work overtime. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Slow paced. Hard to get motivated. Average age of employees is over 50. Hard to move up.

Aerospace Corporation Photos