Aerotech, Inc.

www.aerotech.com

Aerotech, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Mark A. Botos

Sales and Application Engineer...Great Culture!

Sales and Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe best thing about working at Aerotech is the people. People are open, friendly, and nerdy...which suits me. Everyone in upper management has an engineering degree. It's funny to see myself in so many people here; whether it's my intensely technical task orientation side that wants to be right, or even my salesy side that is on the cusp of overly nerdy. Some people play card games like Magic and Dominion here at lunch... love it, but don't get me wrong there will be times you are ROFL from some of the big personalities in the office. Innovation and ideas are encouraged!

Basically, if you think you are smart, nerdy and fun then you belong here!

ConsI could really go for my own parking spot, but that's pretty trivial...

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic, love it, keep up the good work, promote me...LOL

A decent place to make a career

Embedded Control Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsYou can't deny the benefits. The health insurance is good and the annual profit share is a real boost to your salary, as long as the company continues to make money. The HR department honestly seems like they are looking out for the employees. The work is challenging but varied enough to remain interesting.

ConsThere definitely is a cap on advancement that you will hit after a few years, and with that comes the annual just-above-cost-of-living-increase in wages every year. It definitely feels like the company wants to ensure they pay you as little as they can. During leaner years, the profit share is meagre, and in the worst of years, it barely makes up for the mandatory four-day workweeks, which serve only to make sure the company stays profitable. Technically speaking, the company has trouble breaking with tradition (I.e. backwards compatibility) which may affect the ability to not only develop but also sell future products. This also tends to quash creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow engineering to make technical decisions that will better the products, even if it breaks compatibility. Make sure creativity is not stifled. Make sure employees feel respected and wanted, especially by larger pay increases, at least every now and then.

Great place to work

ProsThe work is very interesting and challenging and is constantly pushing the boundaries of technology. The management team values R&D and continually reinvests in new development projects, capital equipment, and training of employees to stay at the forefront of technology. Many chances to advance and work on a variety of projects with a diverse, global team. Aerotech has good benefits such as employee stock ownership, profit sharing, and 401k/medical.

ConsAs with all companies, there are some downsides. The current growth phase has caused some stress as we try to expand capabilities to penetrate new markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on strength of research and development. Focus on manufacturing infrastructure as a key to expanded growth in new markets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pittsburgh-based global manufacturer with nice benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAerotech offers employee tuition reimbursement (100% for As, 75% for Bs, etc), profit sharing programs and employee stock ownership in addition to the standard health benefits. They've been in business for over 40 years and never had a layoff. They are growing quickly into the global market with subsidiaries and service people in several European and Asian markets; and they recently expanded the factory HQ in Pittsburgh.

ConsThe rapidly expanding company has suffered some growing pains. They seem to be focusing on change management to rethink the organizational structure in light of its growing reach.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress communication challenges (culture clash) between long-time employees (lifers) and young, new talent.

Quickly growing but entirely disorganized disaster waiting to happen.

CNC Machinist (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe company is growing quickly by being the low-cost provider in a growing industry. The folks that do the software seem pretty bright.

ConsThere is a definite pay ceiling, and the best folks don't seem to stay long. Their apprenticeship system is isn't very good: the folks that have gone through it aren't very knowledgeable. Everyone seems to hate everyone else at all levels of the company, and there is a severe lack of managerial and technical skill in the machine shop. I ran away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnsustainable growth doesn't count as growth. Clean house and hire some professional management while you are still making money.

Worst employment experience of my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAllowed workers to expand horizons by taking on work outside the scope of their normal duties. It was most likely in an effort to save money, but it helped employees grow professionally.

ConsLow pay and not much appreciation for the hard work of their employees. Family owned, allowing family members to step into top managament positions right out of school and with little experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on nepotism and treat your employees with respect.

Worked for Aerotech, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!