Aerotech, Inc.

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014
3.8

Mark A. Botos

Great place to work, great environment, great people, great benefits!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competitive pay with yearly increases
    - Excellent profit sharing bonus
    - Employee Stock Ownership
    - Excellent health benefits with low deductible
    - Clean, climate controlled
    - Company picnics and incentives for employees
    - Paid sick time
    - Supportive staff

Cons

- Vacation accrual (2 weeks to start) could be better.

Keep up the great job with employee incentives. Employees love to be recognized for their hard work. Increasing vacation accrual would be great.

Growing Company with Growing Pains

I worked at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great profit sharing and employee stock program, Benefits packages are ok.

Cons

Little room for advancement, Always seem to be rushing to meet ship dates, lack of planning is just amazing.
    Management doesn't care as long as they hit their numbers for the quarter.
    Stupid rules that are not documented well...

Remember that you can't keep hammering your employees all the time, eventually they will break and lose the drive to work hard. People have lives outside of work, it can't always be about Aerotech.

A decent place to make a career

Former Employee - Embedded Control Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Embedded Control Systems Engineer

I worked at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can't deny the benefits. The health insurance is good and the annual profit share is a real boost to your salary, as long as the company continues to make money. The HR department honestly seems like they are looking out for the employees. The work is challenging but varied enough to remain interesting.

Cons

There definitely is a cap on advancement that you will hit after a few years, and with that comes the annual just-above-cost-of-living-increase in wages every year. It definitely feels like the company wants to ensure they pay you as little as they can. During leaner years, the profit share is meagre, and in the worst of years, it barely makes up for the mandatory four-day workweeks, which serve only to make sure the company stays profitable. Technically speaking, the company has trouble breaking with tradition (I.e. backwards compatibility) which may affect the ability to not only develop but also sell future products. This also tends to quash creativity.

Allow engineering to make technical decisions that will better the products, even if it breaks compatibility. Make sure creativity is not stifled. Make sure employees feel respected and wanted, especially by larger pay increases, at least every now and then.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales and Application Engineer...Great Culture!

Current Employee - Sales and Applications Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales and Applications Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech, Inc. full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at Aerotech is the people. People are open, friendly, and nerdy...which suits me. Everyone in upper management has an engineering degree. It's funny to see myself in so many people here; whether it's my intensely technical task orientation side that wants to be right, or even my salesy side that is on the cusp of overly nerdy. Some people play card games like Magic and Dominion here at lunch... love it, but don't get me wrong there will be times you are ROFL from some of the big personalities in the office. Innovation and ideas are encouraged!

Basically, if you think you are smart, nerdy and fun then you belong here!

Cons

I could really go for my own parking spot, but that's pretty trivial...

Fantastic, love it, keep up the good work, promote me...LOL

Great place to work

I have been working at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is very interesting and challenging and is constantly pushing the boundaries of technology. The management team values R&D and continually reinvests in new development projects, capital equipment, and training of employees to stay at the forefront of technology. Many chances to advance and work on a variety of projects with a diverse, global team. Aerotech has good benefits such as employee stock ownership, profit sharing, and 401k/medical.

Cons

As with all companies, there are some downsides. The current growth phase has caused some stress as we try to expand capabilities to penetrate new markets.

Continue to focus on strength of research and development. Focus on manufacturing infrastructure as a key to expanded growth in new markets.

Pittsburgh-based global manufacturer with nice benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Aerotech offers employee tuition reimbursement (100% for As, 75% for Bs, etc), profit sharing programs and employee stock ownership in addition to the standard health benefits. They've been in business for over 40 years and never had a layoff. They are growing quickly into the global market with subsidiaries and service people in several European and Asian markets; and they recently expanded the factory HQ in Pittsburgh.

Cons

The rapidly expanding company has suffered some growing pains. They seem to be focusing on change management to rethink the organizational structure in light of its growing reach.

Address communication challenges (culture clash) between long-time employees (lifers) and young, new talent.

Quickly growing but entirely disorganized disaster waiting to happen.

Former Employee - CNC Machinist  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is growing quickly by being the low-cost provider in a growing industry. The folks that do the software seem pretty bright.

Cons

There is a definite pay ceiling, and the best folks don't seem to stay long. Their apprenticeship system is isn't very good: the folks that have gone through it aren't very knowledgeable. Everyone seems to hate everyone else at all levels of the company, and there is a severe lack of managerial and technical skill in the machine shop. I ran away from this place.

Unsustainable growth doesn't count as growth. Clean house and hire some professional management while you are still making money.

Worst employment experience of my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aerotech, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Allowed workers to expand horizons by taking on work outside the scope of their normal duties. It was most likely in an effort to save money, but it helped employees grow professionally.

Cons

Low pay and not much appreciation for the hard work of their employees. Family owned, allowing family members to step into top managament positions right out of school and with little experience.

Cut back on nepotism and treat your employees with respect.

Aerotech, Inc. Photos

Worked for Aerotech, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!