Aerotek Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Environmental Scientist

I worked at Aerotek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits, easy commute, decent pay

Cons

lack of notice when they need to cut back on employees

Learning Experience - Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aerotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people are great and very friendly. You will have a chance to make great friends. - The starting salary is better for recruiters than other agencies - They have a ton of happy hours. This can be a good thing if you enjoy hanging out after work, but if you have a family or other plans then everyone makes you feel guilty for not going. - They are very involved with community service events - They are one of the best staffing agencies around. They charge a higher mark up than most agencies and they can back it up because they have a "do whatever it takes" attitude. - There is a very in depth training plan in place for new Recruiters. They put a lot of time and effort into this. Everyone in the office helps out. - They only promote from within for the sales manager roles. Therefore, at least you know your manager has walked in your shoes and knows what its like to do your job. - They offered some moms in the office an alternative work schedule (4 days a week) But this also caused a lot of jealousy and issues in the office. People didn't think it was fair that some people were allowed to get the schedule. There are no set "rules" on who gets the schedule. This was a pro for the ones on the schedule, but not fair to those who didn't have any children. - They have a Christmas party for all employees and their significant others. Food and alcohol is all covered. - They give out awards at the Christmas party. Its always the same people that get them so don't get your hopes up on getting one. - Some of the managers truly care about you and want you to succeed. They will take time out of their day to take you to lunch or meet up with you to give you advice. - They give sales managers an incentive to win a cash bonus and a trip to Cancun if they make a certain amount of sales through the year. - If the company has a good year they would randomly give out bonus checks to employees and the longer you were there the more you got. - They have yearly sales meetings that take place in various locations over the US and they provide food, drinks, and entertainment during the 4 days. Its basically one big party for the managers. - You learn a TON of things at Aerotek including interview skills, how to get a lead, how to set a meeting, how to check references, prepping candidates for interviews, writing resumes, and building relationships. If you can stick it out for a year or 2 then you will have no problem getting yourself another job. You will find any other job "easy" compared to the work at Aerotek. - If you love change then Aerotek is the place for you. They are always changing and updating the way they do things. Setting different goals, getting new systems, changing the office, hiring new people, etc. - Time off - They give 3 weeks vacation to start. - They put recruiters in one division so you get very knowledgeable in that division. They have recruiters that specifically cover customer service jobs, engineering, skilled trades, and oil and gas jobs. This allows the recruiters to really learn about their industry they are placed in.

Cons

- THE HOURS. They work you to death. You are required to start at 7:30am and if you plan on leaving before 5:30pm you have to ask to leave "early". Most people in the office work from 7:30am to 6:30pm or 7pm. This is Monday - Friday. They usually leave by 5pm on Fridays. If a goal isn't met by Friday then recruiters are expected to come in and work weekends. They say its not required but you are given guilt trips by others if you don't show up. - MEETINGS - They have 5 meetings a day that are a complete waste of time. One in the morning with your immediate team for 15 minutes, then another one with the entire office in the morning that usually lasts around 30 minutes. Then, there is another meeting with your immediate team after lunch for 15 minutes, and another one with the entire office that lasts around 30 minutes. The final meeting is a wrap up meeting with your manager at the end of the day that can last 15-30 minutes. They also have various other meetings mixed in during the week (recruiter meetings, training meetings, sales meetings, etc). Recruiters will have to attend 28 meetings on average per week and a minimum of 25. The meetings are not helpful when you have strict goals to hit and you are too busy in meetings that you can't actually work on your goals. - MICRO-MANAGING - If you want to know what its like to be micromanaged just get a job as a Recruiter at Aerotek. From day one all of your activity is tracked and discussed. The activity includes number of calls per day, phone interview, face to face interviews, reference checks, leads, etc. Recruiters complete weekly reports to hand into their manager where they have to list all their numbers and give reasons why they could have done better. Sometimes the micromanaging gets out of hand and includes discussions of how to dress, what kinds of shoes to wear, how much makeup to wear, the pictures you can have your desk, etc. - Goals are completely unrealistic - The managers go out and meet with clients and make promises that the recruiters can't follow through on. The managers set the goals for the recruiters and expect them to work long hours and the weekend to meet the goals that they set for them. - Age discrimination - If you step into the office at Aerotek and see the recruiters you will see a group of 22-25 year olds. They ONLY hire people that just graduated college. The only reason a handful of the people are older (between 30 - 35) is because they were hired out of school and stayed for several years. A person over the age of 26 is considered "old" at Aerotek. - Not a place to work if you have a family or enjoy going to the gym after work- If you have a family and actually want to spend time with them then its not a good place to work because of the long hours. By the time you get home from work its after 7pm and you don't get much time to spend with your family. If you enjoy going to the gym you will be mentally exhausted when you leave work at 7pm to even think about going to work out. - Lack of Salary increases - The recruiters have a base pay that has stayed the same for over 10 years. They also get commission, but that varies all based on how busy the office is. You can work your butt off and still not get any commission because companies just aren't hiring. - No career opportunities if you don't want sales - If you are a recruiter that would like to stay a long term recruiter then you must understand that you will not get a pay increase, and you will not be eligible for the bonuses and trip that they offer to the sales people. - Drama - Everyone at this location has outgoing and social personalities. Many of them also cause drama, talk about each other, pick on others for the clothes they wear, etc. Its like being in high school all over again. This is mostly the girls that cause this drama. The guys are too busy planning happy hours. - Benefits are costly and not very good - The cost is above average for medical care and the deductible ($2000 for single) is high and once the deductible is met the insurance doesn't cover much. If you ever have to go to the hospital or have surgery you will be paying several thousands of dollars out of pocket depending on what you have done. The people that had kids said they owed over $3000 per kid as out of pocket expenses. - The location - They are located in Robinson off of Campbells Run Road off the parkway. Campbells Run Road is a mess every day after work. If you have to take the parkway you will be sitting in a ton of traffic in the morning and after work. It gets worse when there are any sports games, concerts, or any other events in the city. The traffic makes it even worse when you are working a long day with lots of hours. - You have to sign a 2 year non-compete when you start. You can't get any other job at a staffing company when you leave for at least 2 years. - When you start and you hire your first person you have to get in front of the entire office and do a "Start Dance". This is a dance that you have to make up and do in front of everyone while half the people in the office video tape you and laugh at you. If you don't believe me, look up "start dance Aerotek" on youtube. You may see some of them on there. - Carefrontation - This is the term Aerotek gives when you confront someone in a caring way. This has gotten out of control. Carefrontation is now given on clothing, pictures on desks, etc. When you start expect to be "carefronted" at least 1-3 times a day.

Advice to Management

- Stop making employees work 7:30am to 6:30pm++. Recruiters will get burnt out quickly and need to have a work/life balance. - Stop offering the alternative schedule to a few random moms in the office. Its not fair to the others that work hard and can't have kids. - Improve your benefit package. - Consider a yearly salary increase because commission can be highly changed based on many factors such as lack of jobs, people not showing up to work, company layoffs, etc. Its not fair that a recruiters paycheck is based on these factors that they can't control. - Hire recruiters in all age groups. Stop hiring people right out of college all the time. You may find some great experienced people. However, if you want a tenured employee then you will have to change the long hours. These types of people are more likely to have a family that they want to spend time with and won't want to work the longer hours. - Don't require so many meetings a day. A 15 meeting in the morning to discuss goals and 15 minute wrap up meeting at some point in the day is plenty. Meetings about meetings is just wasting time. Recruiters would be so much more productive if they sat at their desk and recruited more instead of spending so much time in meetings. - Spend more time talking to the recruiters about how the job is going and getting their opinions. Instead, the managers tend to talk to other managers and never really get the full story from recruiters. Getting this information directly from the recruiters could be very beneficial. - Don't allow the sales managers to be hypocrites. Some of them (not all the sales managers do this, but half of them do) require their recruiters to work long hours and weekends. But then that same manager is leaving early every day, calling off, coming in late, etc.

3. Cold Calling

I worked at Aerotek

Pros

Small workplace, easy training process, small knit group, paid weekly, overtime pay each week, mediocre insurance, decent benefits, 2 vacation days to start

Cons

cold calling, you have to put your trust in people to go to work, there is a 13 week training period in which you don't receive commission but your boss instead does, possible opportunity to move ahead but that's only if you're completely willing to move anywhere

Advice to Management

Be up front with the commission process, let them know up front. Also in the interview process be clear on the hours and that it's not just like a 9-5 job that days can run up to 12 hours at least.

5. Great opportunity

Current Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Aerotek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to grow into a career that rewards those that produce. The culture from office to office is very similar, close knit group that works hard/plays hard.

Cons

You have to be able to handle the highs and lows that come with Recruiting. Your service is recruiting people and people are not always reliable.

6. Like family

I have been working at Aerotek

Pros

Very nice company to work for!

Cons

Hours are not always guaranteed

7. Great Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Aerotek full-time

Pros

Great opportunities and an uncapped commission structure

Cons

Staffing can be a hustle and you have to persevere through the highs and lows. That's more an industry aspect than the company in general.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving and finding new opportunities in the company. Not everyone fits the traditional promotion path.

8. Production Supervisor

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Hubbard, OH
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Hubbard, OH

I worked at Aerotek (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid Overtime and double time

Cons

benefits very costly can't afford, have to buy you're own

Advice to Management

work with your workers

9. Business Operations Intern

I worked at Aerotek

Pros

Great people, fun organization, lots of events

Cons

Typical tasks that an intern would perform - not very interesting work

10. Ok.

I have been working at Aerotek full-time

Pros

Temp agency that gives health benefits relatively early for being a temp agency.

Cons

Most jobs are industrial labor. Some contract issues with company I was hired for: I couldn't get hired full time until 4 months had passed.

Advice to Management

Don't make contracts that hurt your employees!

11. Poor Handling of Hearing Impaired Employee

Former Employee - Membership Enrollment Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Membership Enrollment Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Aerotek

Pros

I felt that the staff at Aerotek did a wonderful job in communicating with me via email and texting as I am hard of hearing and they kept in touch with me with no issues whatsoever.

Cons

I felt there was a misunderstanding between myself and the company I was contracted to work for as for accommodating me as a hard of hearing employee. During the training they were very accommodating but when it came time to be on the floor doing my daily duties and having to make phone calls, it did not work out very well for me.

Advice to Management

If you have an employee that is disabled, in my case hearing impaired. You might want to make sure the client is aware of such disability and whether or not they are willing to accommodate him/her. I had told my recruiter from the beginning that I was hearing impaired and that I preferred taking a position that required little or no phone work to cover myself as an employee under the ADA Title One Employment Law. The recruiter worked well with me and placed me in a position where I thought would be no phone work. At the beginning of my training with the client, I was accommodated to the fullest by the trainer(s) at the job. At the end of training, when it came time to "watch" their employees how they would call the customer, I felt uncomfortable and told the trainer(s) and management that I would sit with their employee but did not want to make an actual call to a client. They seemed to understand and I was allowed to "observe". When it came time to move from training to working on the floor, I did not have to worry about making any calls for the first two months as it was a slow period and minimal applications to process prior to the open enrollment period. When open enrollment started, that is when issues started for me. Not in processing the applications but "making calls to the customer" that had an incomplete application. The client did not have a phone available for me to even attempt to do so as their phones had minimal amplification and I had voiced my concerns to my immediate supervisor. The client more or less expected me to bring my own phone from home that would amplify the sounds but it was not in my job description to do so, nor did they attempt to get a proper phone for me. I believe that the client in this case did not make "reasonable accommodation" as it would not have caused "undue hardship". I was let go from the temporary assignment after being with the company for 4 months. I did not pursue any legal advice nor action to see if I could've had a case with said circumstances.

Aerotek Response

Jul 15, 2015

We appreciate you sharing this feedback. In an effort to avoid a situation like this in the future, please email us at webfeedback@aerotek.com so we can follow up with the appropriate team ... More

Showing 954 of 1,181 reviews