Aerotek Reviews

Todd Mohr

1. Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, fast paced and competitive environment.

Cons

Long hours, lots of competition.

Advice to Management

More career opportunities

Low Pay, Long Hours, and Office Politics

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek

Pros

Good way to get some experience as a new grad. Free food and expensed lunches. You work some cool companies its a good way to build rapport with key people and get a job at those companies.

Cons

Where to start, there is just so many negatives that one can talk about Aerotek San Francisco! For 1 it is a "feedback rich" environment AKA you can say whatever you to someone and criticize in derogatory way but its all part of career development. Some of the most tenured recruiters are the worst, partly because that normally means that they failed at being an account manager because no one in their right mind stays at the company as a pure recruiter for more than 18 months.

Aerotek San Francisco does not foster out of the box thinking and relies on recruiting practices from the 1980s. We live in a tech world and having hard copy resumes will not sustain itself much longer. Also its bad for the environment. At innovative companies, Aerotek's best practices would be seen as a waste of time. If there is an ATS in place why is there the need to talk about candidates moving through the funnel each morning at 7:45AM with every team in the office??? That is a waste of 40 minutes each morning, time that can be spent on recruiting.

You will work long hours, mostly 11 hour days and your account manager will be upset if you try and leave at 5. The last meeting of the day is at 5:30....but you start work at 7:30...how is that sustainable??? It's not that's why.

Advice to Management

Really, just close down operations. That would do everyone a service

3. Good experience, too much turnover

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People, fast growth, excellent experience

Cons

Depends on your director, attrition, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Be proactive to prevent attrition

Aerotek Response

Oct 15, 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We are very happy to hear about your positive experience. If you have any concerns, please let us at webfeedback@aerotek.com , and we will address them as efficiently as ... More

Great first job out of college, lots of opportunity for learning!

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They invest in their people, if you work hard, show effort, and get involved they notice that. You will start to be given extra projects or additional training invitations, this is a good thing, they see you as a leader. They value hard working people who want to make an impact on the office and their peers. This job takes hussle and time management; it also takes someone who self-driven which is something you can't train. Gotta bring it and push yourself.

Cons

The hours can be tough to adjust too if you're coming from college bubble life. The hours are long 7:30 - to sometimes 6pm, 6:30pm. Manage your time, work your butt off when you're there and you'll be in good shape.

Your work goals and environment depends a lot on your account manager - each one runs his ship a little different but as long as you communicate all manger/recruiter relationships have great potential. The team aspect is good here -- although some account managers can be pretty tough...all depends on the actual person though and their management style. Micromanaging verses a more hands off approach.

This company is numbers based 100% - high performers = success. It's necessary to hit your numbers, for some this is motivation for others it's a con.

6. Aerotek

Current Contractor - Chemst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Chemst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

great people and nice benefits

Cons

everyone is friendly and tries to help

7. Friendly Contract Managers on Autopilot

Current Contractor - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aerotek as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting positions available in wide array of industries. Well suited for entry-level contract work. Payroll works without a hitch.

Cons

Aerotek "handlers" often have to be cajoled into being responsive. Maybe they're stretched too thin but, I've seen their (my) clients practically beg them to return calls/email. They are generally very pleasant to work with but if you're looking for more than the bare minimum management of your contract (i.e. terms negotiation, multi-contract planning), look elsewhere.

8. Disappointing

Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aerotek full-time

Pros

The recruiter did get me a job at a start up tech company in San Francisco that was super cool and decent compensation for someone of my skill set and experience. I really enjoyed my time there and wish I was still working for the company.

Cons

The first issue was that they kept promising that the job was going to start but the tech company was very indecisive and kept delaying the start time. This went on for a couple of months to the point where I quit my current job and found out the day of that the job would be delayed for another few months. The second issue I have with them is I feel like they were not upfront and honest with me about the nature of the job and what the arrangement was until it was a bit too late.

I found out when I was signing the final documents that I would be a contractor of Aerotek not an employee of the tech company which was a turn off. I was promised that contractors were getting hired and it was only a formality but when I got there I found that only one contractor had been hired on and he is the only one I know of to this day.

Long story short after about two and a half months the company let the contractors go, I got a call from the recruiter who said that he took no pleasure in telling me this which I am sure because he would be losing money. He then told me that at least I had made more money than staying at my old job which was extremely offensive because I would have been better to stay at my old job.

He said that he would assist to me in finding other work but never called me back and honestly I was kind of disgusted and just decided to go in my own direction.

To this day I am still unemployed and stuck with a resume that makes me out to be a job hopper and no real advantages from working with Aerotek. Just know what you are getting into if you use a recruiter and keep in mind that unless this job will give you the ability to advance your career just stay with your current job and attend school or intern to improve yourself.

Advice to Management

Communication, Communication, Communication I can't say it enough. Make sure that your recruiters are up front and honest with people before they get people to quite there jobs and get to a point of no return. Also putting stronger guidelines on companies using Aerotek's services and not allowing them to yank your company around so much with their indecision. Remember you are effecting peoples lives and their ability to provided for themselves and their families.

Largely disappointing experience.

Former Contractor - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aerotek as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, and networking potential.

Cons

Recruiters only care about commissions, and will engage in deceptive business practices to get employees to sign temporary contracts. For example, I was told by my recruiter that a position would be for one year, and that at the end of the assignment, the employer would hire me. What happened was that, after the project I was hired for was completed, the employer no longer needed my services and my assignment was over. Rather than a one year "contract to hire" position, it became a four month temporary position.

Advice to Management

Change your business model to one that doesn't require being dishonest to employees about what to expect.

Good stepping stone but management is immature and micromanages employees too much

I worked at Aerotek

Pros

Great training for New Grads
    Amazing people and socially minded company
    Promotes Teamwork
    Good place to gain industry knowledge

Cons

Promotion into sales doesn't included training on how to manage recruiters. Too many sales people are not fit to manage the recruiters under them
    Terrible benefits
    Very little room for growth outside of sales
    Not a very good place to express new ideas, promote change (dissent strongly discouraged)
    Poor work/life ratio, very few days off

Advice to Management

Listen to you recruiters who have a pulse on this industry more than anyone else in the company. Encourage new ideas and encourage dissent and feedback because the Aerotek is not always the "right way".

A HUGE majority of management have never worked for another company because they were hired right out of college. Work on better training for management and seek ideas from how other companies operate in order to better suit your young workforce.

Aerotek provides entry-level candidates with a strong starting point to succeed in business.

I worked at Aerotek

Pros

Aerotek provides entry-level candidates with a strong background in the basics of the recruiting industry as well as the oppotunity to develop overall business competencies in client relations, time-management, and negotiation.

Cons

Work at a field office can at times take on a "Boiler-Room" atmosphere. The average age of a field-office is mid-twenties and while this lends itself to a fun atmosphere it can also feel like you are still in college. In general the leadership is very competent but openess to new methods of doing work and "forward-thinking" leadership seems to be lacking.

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize the basics of sales and recruiting but be more open to changing they way process and management is structured and measured.