Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement(in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions(in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited(in 28 reviews)

Pretty good experience

Teleworker (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful co- workers who are always willing to assist. Salary is competitive. Great 401 k.

ConsConstant changes. Processes change often. Feel like we're re- inventing the wheel at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us in the loop. We don't want to be the last to know...

Excellent company to work for

Cvty to Aetna (Current Employee)

Prosvery much of a self service employer for a work from home employee with excellent support from H.R. and technical support

ConsSo many workshops and initiatives there is not enough time to take part as the work schedule is very busy

Advice to Senior Managementundercover boss!!

Excellent company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsVery structured but organized company.

ConsThe parking at this facility was terrible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of genuinely nice people work at Aetna and it's subsidiaries.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is inclusive, very casual when it comes to open participation. They inherently work in team structures. Knowledge is shared and management seems to appreciate input/new ideas.

ConsThe firewalls amongst and between corporate and all the nascent companies makes calendaring very challenging and is too time consuming,adversely affecting productivity .

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on an internal solution, vis a vis a separate Intranet, for all the employees, contractors, etc. to have access to on site and off site to bridge interactive involvement and communications.

Management is wonderful/Great work-life balance!

RN Case Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompany values! Work-life Balance! No micromanaging.

ConsCan be monotonous. Cubicles. Virtual training.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for allowing us to put the member first and focus on The Aetna Way!

Unfavorable Experience

ProsCo-workers are great and supportive. Management micro-manages.

ConsCall Center expectations are unrealistic.

Toxic Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsTele-working heavily supported, pockets of very good and smart employees,

Conseverything is a fire drill, executive management is akin to Game of Thrones, huge institutional inertia,
    antiquated IT platform, duplication of effort, precepts do not match words with actions, under investment in
    core infrastructure

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a president or COO who is empowered to systematically overhaul infrastructure and service operations across the enterprise

Able to be a Strong Patient Advocate (RN) but working for Big Business mentality

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsLike what I do on a day to day basis and have the ability to work at home. Compensation when figured into an hourly pay is okay, it's fair. Work-life balance is okay there is some flexibility. My immediate supervisor is very good. Overall I am a happy Aetna employee.

ConsBig business, job security is always in question. Squeezed for more and more, disposable employee culture. Work in crisis mode till burn-out. Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited. Aetna can write a great benefit package but they do not provide that great package to their employees. I always wonder if the C-suite has the same benefit package.

Aetna was an okay place to work.

Health Care Consultant RN (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsAllowed to telecommute, timely raises, okay benefits. I believe the intent is to provide a good product.

ConsLots of change, pressure to do more with less resources, minimal chance for promotion. I worked in a place where micromanagement was the norm, and metrics were the only way you were measured, not by any other means. Being given minimal time to take a bio break or get a breather. Had to spend many hours after work catching up, of course I was salaried, but there was no other way to get the very redundant work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many layers, and the top layers have no clue what is happening in the trenches. Very frustrating to have change coming down on top of you, and such pressure put on the people actually having contact with the members.

Awesome work from home opportunity but medical benefits are not good.

Senior/Lead Informatics Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsRemote/tele work, training opportunities, online job boards and intranet are very easy to use. Pto and sick time accrual

ConsMedical benefits have high deductibles and dont cover much anyway.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!