Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros:
  • "Work at home opportunities exist in many areas of the company"
    in 63 reviews
  • "They have very good work-life balance with combination of office time and teleworking"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "tough to maintain work-life balance; management encourages it, but does not effectively role model it"
    in 17 reviews
  • "We are only offered a choice between 2 high deductible health insurance plans"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great internship program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aetna

ProsGreat people to work with, many opportunities to take charge and prove yourself.

ConsWas there during a time of rapid change therefore tailored tasks and management visibility was almost non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Mixed Experience

Underwriter (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna for more than 3 years

ProsThe company values their employees and career development. They have very good work-life balance with combination of office time and teleworking.

ConsThe company has a very large feel to it. Many times you feel like just a number, and not an employee. They have instituted a culture change, it seems to be taking too long, and not grasped by enough employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within instead of hiring executives from outside the company.

Smart but fear driven

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIncredibly smart, innovative and hard working organization. Fast paced and well prepared for the future. I have learned so much in my time at Aetna which is invaluable.

ConsThe trade off of being at this company -- it's a fear-driven culture right now which brings out the worst in people. Leadership is unpredictable and believes humiliation is the way to get results. Human Resources has become an order taker and is very poorly led. It lacks leadership, vision, credibility and most importantly, trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile we are riding high on a great stock price that continues to move up, it is not sustainable. People are afraid. You will not get your best most innovative work from scared leaders and employees. Our edge is not sustainable. Lead by example. Live our values. Be authentic and compassionate. Your actions don't match your words and you have lost and important ingredient to success - trust.

Cutting Costs Is Top Priority

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee)
Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMany opportunities for working at home. Co-workers are intelligent, helpful and caring. Several Employee Wellness programs available.

ConsCutting costs seems to be the top priority of Senior Management, at the expense of everything else, including quality and employee morale. They don't seem to notice how much quality has gone down.

Old prestigious company full of its own self importance

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe decent paycheck and the ability to work from home are priceless

ConsLayoffs are constant leaving staff directionless, only the politically connected survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAetna needs a CEO who can take care of business

Not the employer it used to be

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFantastic coworkers; working in Health Care in the current political environment can be exciting

ConsThe company has consistently taken benefits from long-time employees. Over the years, they have taken away free parking, increased our benefit premiums, and most recently took 5 PTO days away from long-term employees who already had earned the days. They seem to be squeezing out the older workers and hiring more youth. Also LOTS of temps are working here (no benefits to be paid). Senior management are invisible to the general population ... there is a caste system, huge chasm between the senior execs and the worker bees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. You want employees to bend over backwards for you? Treat them with respect, listen to them, and stop taking things away (like the days that allow us to rest and recuperate). Be more visible. Walk the corridors and speak with employees once in a while.

Salary

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with, always willing to help. Good manager. some wellness great benefits

Conssalary-very, very low salary. Aetna is not competitive with similar companies.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salaries: management needs to look at salaries for case managers and utilization managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey have very good work-life balance with combination of office time and teleworking. Also the company encourages and motivates employees for their health/wellness with an incentive system and provides variety of health programs.

ConsThere have been too much reorganization for the last several years which results in job eliminations. There are so many jobs are outsourced and you feel like just a number, and not an employee.

Good company overall, but location, function, team will dictate drastic variations in particular experience.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery health/wellness oriented company. Promotes heavily from within, at least within the sales/service organization. Many work from home roles.

ConsA lot of red tape causes struggles to resolve ongoing product service issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on giving account management the time and resources to succeed. Dig into service issues and resolve them once and for all.

Aetna Program Management

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are easy to get along with and generally share information. When opportunities are there they are good.

ConsLike any large company you need to know who is in the know. With constant shifting of priorities and objectives it is sometimes tough to keep up. It is also hard to move internally to upward positions during tough times

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aetna reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aetna CEO Mark T. Bertolini. All 422 reviews posted anonymously by Aetna employees.