Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement(in 98 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions(in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited(in 27 reviews)

Solid Company

ProsGood benefits, able to work from home if needed, good view of how technology will help sector.

ConsTough to change positions, hard to be recognized for leadership opportunities

My experience with aetna was good

RN Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Proswork from home is an excellent way to keep employees

ConsEmployees can easily be promoted to higher position

Advice to Senior ManagementContinunue to offer good training tothe employees

Overall a good place to work, good collaboration with employees in various departments, customer focused.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsStrong leadership with active participation of employees in adapting to new products, initiatives and cultural change.

ConsWill likely continue to see reorganization and job elimination due to the acquisition of Conventry over the next year and a half.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong stock price; terrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsStrong financial performance; some innovation

ConsMost unethical company I have ever worked for; primarily in HR department. Company has no conscience anymore. Everyone is constantly acting from a place of fear vs. confidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementI give up -- all the honest, ethical, smart, loyal, decent people are gone.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed my tenure at Aetna. Employees were valued and telecommuting was an option for my position. Management was accessible and considerate. Overall compensation package was good.

ConsMedical benefits were a bit expensive. I expected them to be a bit more discounted considering it is a company specializing in medical benefits.

Misled from day one about the expectations, day to day responsibilities, and opportunity for advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsThe pay is comparable for the stated expected daily quota, bonuses were available at first however altered to be near non-existent after only a couple of months in the position.

ConsBlatant racism/sexism constantly swept under the rug when brought to the attention of management. Inconsistent management staff and expectations. While being cycled through, the only consistent part about direct supervisors/management were the veiled threats to not report dissatisfaction to HR, rather to report it to them so that they can handle the situation themselves. Unfortunately for any that would listen to this direction and report any kind of unprofessional behavior would then suddenly be subject to questionable disciplinary action and skepticism from the very management they professed their concerns. Numerous occasions of discrimination based on race/gender/age were reported and never acted on. Retro-active policy changes constantly implemented coincidentally immediately prior to the distribution of bonuses. No assurance given by upper management was ever credible or followed through with. There were two occasions of physical altercations where there was no disciplinary action taken whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has the system together the way that benefits them most, allows them to pass along the blame to those under them with no concern, and can quickly eliminate any employee (regardless of how well their job is performed) that may threaten their cushioned situation. Any and all advice given to management served only as a means to determine which employees needed targeting to be let go as soon as possible. I luckily no longer have to suffer the daily verbal abuse distributed to me by my co-workers with a blind eye turned by my immediate supervision. I hope this information can serve as fair warning to any that may consider this to be a professional and reputable company to invest their future. When you are qualified, they will act like it's the best place to work until you are trained and on the floor. That is when the large and bitter dose of reality is then force-fed to you. Be prepared for any and all concerns brought to their attention to be met with shrugged shoulders followed by sudden dissatisfaction with your job function there.

RN Care Manager

Case Manager (RN) (Current Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsSalary is descent, PTO allowance

ConsMicromanagement at its worst. No time for lunch or going to the bathroom. Workload and expectations totally unreasonable. Ridiculous amount of documentation. Favoritism shown on my team. Healthcare benefits are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings and not machines. Show a little more compassion not only for the "favorites" but for all on the team.

The death of "Mother Aetna"

Business Project Program Manager (Current Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsVery committed and dedicated co-workers. Good opportunities for telework/work-at-home positions. My paycheck doesn't bounce.

Cons* A totally bizarre "do more with less" mentality that leaves many dept's chronically understaffed and overworked for the current workloads, with expectations that each year's productivity should increase 115% over the prior year.
    * Exempt (salaried) employees are expected to exceed 40 hour work week's to meet workloads and targets. It's not uncommon to work 50-60 hour per week, every week.
    * Starting salaries are low in comparison to same position in other industries. Annual "merit" increase is 1% for the lucky and $0 for other based on the new "market weighted" review process. Employees are now told they are "adequately" compensated based on market indicators so no increase is given.
    * The incentive compensation (i.e. bonus) process is a complete mystery. Employees are told it's a combination of personal, dept. and company goals. While the CEO announces 8 quarters of positive growth and earnings, employees receive 60-70% of their target bonus amount, yet the CEO doubles his salary and bonus year-over-year.
    * A totally dishonest process in rating employees year-over-year. Superior ratings are promised for "taking on new responsibilities" outside your normal job, but then are told these new responsibilities are now part of your job and do not warrant a superior rating.
    * A management team that says one thing but does another. Sr. leadership talks about encouraging "risk takers" but the truth is management will throw an employee under the bus for not following their directives.
    * A near constant state of lay-offs and job eliminations. In my 14 years at Aetna, there have been at least 1 and in some years 2 rounds of lay-offs each year.
    * Frequent and disruptive "re-organizations", often times combining dept's that have no functional similarity to each other. My dept. has been moved 5 times in 4 years to other teams or organizations, with the new management having knowledge or understanding of the work we do.
    * A posting process that is total farce in terms of advancing and earning more. An arbitrary 1-3% cap is place on salaries so that if the new position you post for has a starting salary several thousand dollars more than your current salary, the best you can hope for is maybe a 3% raise.
    * Continual elimination and reduction employee benefits. Folks at the top end of earned vacation time saw a reduction of 5 days implemented. The Company Pension plan was cancelled. Each year's health insurance costs more with lesser benefits and higher deductibles.
    * Layers of intermediate and middle management above line supervisors/managers. It's not uncommon for there to be 4 layers of management between a line supervisor/manager and a dept. head.
    * Lack of promotional opportunities. Employees are openly encouraged to look outside their organization for promotion opportunities due their current positions having no advancement possibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop squeezing your employees. Reward them when their performance warrants it. Do not trumpet Company earnings quarter after quarter and then reduce or eliminate salary increase or bonus amounts. Stop treating your employees as something disposable.

If you want to know what it feels like to be under-valued work for Aetna.

ProsLots of truly nice people to work with, all who care about the individual who are forced to use our products. Very flexible work from home policy.

ConsAetna values their employees less than any company I've eve worked for. This can be seen in everything from the dismal health insurance to they think strategically about long term investments.

Poor understanding of what culture means and how to define and instill it into the work place. A wheel does not make culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe money you spend on bad employe sponsored get healthy programs should be put toward better health care options.

Don't allow new employees to be hired for only two days before you completely eliminate them and the entire team they were hired to work with.

Better foresight into what it takes to make strategic changes to the company.

RN CM

RN Case Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsI had a job, Glad I am gone. (Was able to work from home). Gave us quality computer equiptment to work on. I worked with some really nice other nurses on my team.

ConsI worked for Aetna. Who lied to all of the nurses that they hired only to eliminate them in 10 months later. They stole us from another company with the offer of more money then told us that they were a stable company and would be treated with respect. Big joke. The training was terrible, their computer system the worst I have ever worked on. More meetings then getting to the members who really need us. You are expected to know too much too soon. Employees too afraid to speak up to the supervisors. The worse employee health care benefits. No pharmacy benefit either!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all of your employees and stop having your favorites! Tell upper management how things really are and stick up for your nurses.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!