Aetna

Aetna Reviews in Middletown, CT

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement(in 98 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions(in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited(in 27 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsVery structured but organized company.

ConsThe parking at this facility was terrible.

Held three positions.

Senior Applications Developer, Applications Support (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsTechnology, people, work atmosphere, standards

Constoo much outsourcing leaving Americans without jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Short contract but I really wanted to stay longer because everything made sense-

IT Business Analyst (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsEducational mindset, cutting edge technology and for the most part smart people looking to share information as well as learn information.

ConsIf the business area(s) that you are working in are not performing to their standard, they have no hesitation in letting contractors go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not what you know, but who you know

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsFlexible hours in my dept
    Good co-workers
    Some opportunities to learn new skills, etc

ConsManager obviously had favorite people - he only talked to me & my co-workers if he needed something done or we didn't do something correctly or quickly enough.
    Management style was to throw people into new situations (with no direction) to see how they would handle it - he thought everyone should be able to figure things out without any help.
    Also many at the management level lack actual people skills.
    Never showed any appreciation for job well done - only pointed out flaws and provided "constructive criticism".

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes hiring right out of college is not the best thing to do. Also, some actual management training for those promoted from within the ranks would be useful. Recognize and reward your employees when things go right - don't just point out all the negative.

Aetna Review

Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsAetna is generally a good place to work. Everyone really does work hard working and the management has a decent direction.

ConsThe benefits are not the best. Stress level is generally high and even though the company supports work/life balance, you don’t always get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better understanding of what is happening on the ground floor. It seemed like there was a disconnect somewhere in the management chain where that understanding was missing.

Underwriting new business national accounts (3,000 or more employees)

Underwriting Consultant (Current Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsAbility to work from home, flexible schedule, lap top

ConsWorkload is inconsistent, will either be overwhelmed or will have nothing to do at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to provide more rewards for hard work such as bonuses or paid time off.

Not the worst job I've ever had...but not the best!

Information Consultant (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

Pros- Steady job
    - Not mind-blowingly difficult
    - Comprehensive training program
    - Seemed like you could advance to middle management fairly easily (woo hoo!)

Cons- Boring, boring, boring!
    - Pay was so-so
    - Health benefits sucked! Deductible was well over $1000, avoided getting care several times because I didn't have the money considering how much I was making. HSA my @$$.
    - Very bureaucratic
    - Got several e-mails bullying employees into voting against health care reform (and this was during the Bush administration) - not cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to streamline - too much bureaucracy and not enough intelligent leadership! CEO making a ton of money (and probably has great health benefits!) while young employees can't afford healthcare.

Great company to work for!

Business Systems Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsGreat benefits, work/life balanace, nice gym facilities and outdoor trails, community services sponsored by the company - bbq's, games, service days. One will get new projects every now and then. Good for technical skill building if you are new to the workforce. They hire lots of interns and new grads from CT schools. Most of them continue to work at Aetna after their internship is over. Middle management is good in their leadership skills.

ConsLarge company - lots of layers to ger something done. This is a norm in a large company. If you expect things to be done in a day.. this is not the place to be at. Most projects are months and years long before you see a product.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up with the open door policy.

If you can find a better place, go for it!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Middletown, CT

ProsGood solid job if you have it (and are able to keep it... lots of layoffs lately). Work at home is allowed.

ConsLots of layoffs this year in IT. Large offshore presence in India, which means USA IT jobs are never really safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that knowledge that's not inhouse is knowledge lost.

Boring but steady.

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Middletown, CT

Prosrelatively stable, good benefits and salary. They go out of their way to portray diversity in ads and brochures. So overbaord you'll hardly ever see a white male.

Conslayoffs always possible. Political change could hurt company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't layoff employees while you are spending millions on construction.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!