Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement(in 98 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions(in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited(in 27 reviews)

Turning the Titanic

IT Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHistorically Aetna is a financially solid company and generally well respected in the health insurance / payer industry (which, buy it's nature, is viewed by most as a "necessary evil"). Aetna's current leadership, namely Mark Bertolini, understands that we can not rest on our 160 year-old 'laurels". In order to survive in the new world of health care and health insurance we need to evolve. That may mean that the company may look very different in 5-10 years than it does now.

Aetna has become largely a "virtual company" with many people working remotely or from home. This can provide a lot of flexibility and work-life balance.

ConsThere is a good risk that Aetna's sheer mass will prevent it from being agile enough to make the changes necessary to survive. There is also a risk that Aetna may need to get to a point where they need to "jettison" the legacy baggage that is holding it back. That would mean substantial layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe vision is a good one. Don't be afraid to make the difficult decisions. And be wary of leaders within the rank that are afraid of and resistant to change. (They may claim that they are "on-board" but their behavior will demonstrate otherwise.)

Excellent company to work for

Bilingual Customer Service (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGood pay, Professional work enviroment, Always taking 1 hour weekly updates in training, regarding State laws and company's E-policies, in order to give the good service to members. If employee manage to get good Quality reviews, get pay a Bonus every 3 months.

ConsTerrible Health Insurance benefits to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Health Benefits to emmployees, and Aetna would be consider The Best Company to work for.

Great company that any one would be proud to work for!

Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsTons of benefits and a very great work-life balanced job. Work from home is available for those who earn it. Management is very good. Excellent PTO structure and 100% matching 401k up to 6% of salary.

ConsDifficult to progress in some departments. I found my particular department to be a little top heavy making it difficult for promotion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company!

ProsRewarding job. CEO's often visit various locations to meet employees. Benefits/perks include casual dress and telecommute (work from home).

ConsPromotion is based on who you know, not necessarily what you do. Schedule changes very often (ever 3-6 months).

Overall good experience

Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThe company is very focused on maintaining a work life balance. The company policies go above and beyond what you would expect. Policies such as giving employees a $200 wellness reimbursement per year, having semiannual team outings covered by the company, and maintaining a laid back environment are all positive value added policies for the employees. The companies management staff is also generally very laid back and nice.

ConsSometimes Aetna can be too laid back. The compensation package is generally less at Aetna than other healthcare insurance providers.

One of the best companies out there

Senior Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsThe company is built on great values and really cares about what they're doing. There is a lot of room for advancement and great people at every corner of the company.

ConsI have nothing negative to say about the company.

fast paced and challenging

QA Project Manager (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

Prosample opportunities to work and gain experience, very fast paced, lots of good resources available to employees (internal training, various perks)

Constoo aggressive with cost cutting initiatives, management not true to values preached, a bit politically charged and vision frequently changes

Advice to Senior Managementstay true to values, give more value to leadership (doing the right thing versus doing things right), appreciation should be more sincere

Aetna is taking over Coventry.

Complex Case Manager (Current Employee) South Jordan, UT

ProsAetna is a large company which means there are many opportunities. If you like working at home there are many opportunities to do that. My 2nd and 3rd line supervisors both work at home. I am hoping to go home in the next few months.

ConsSince so many people work at home there are many phone meetings. I think that dilutes the interactions and makes it difficult to really get to know who you are working with. I don't fine staff support to be very high. For example Aetna took away all the amenities in the lunch room and took away our on site tech support person. They lowered our budget for celebrations. This lowers morale and a sense of office community.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn site management is important. Going home is great but staff still need to come into the office periodically for face to face meetings and to stay in touch with the office flow. To that end hotel desks should be set up with schedules for staff to be in the office once a week or twice a month.

Good People, Good Strategy Strong Management

Director (Former Employee) Blue Bell, PA

ProsOverall strong strategy and reasonable communication from Upper Management . Strategy directed towards consumerism is sound. Resources directed to ACO areas makes a lot of sense.Work balance is good and encournged to take time off and to grow through . Plenty of training opportunities

ConsContinued layoffs and tough to move around. Insure that metrics for how effective middle management is from an innovation and alignment perspective are in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct layoffs in waves and try to foster allowing those displaced individuals to post for openings before leaving

A good company to work for, compassionate employers

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Plantation, FL

ProsThey offer good PTO time, decent insurance, 401K,, very understanding with personal situations, Healthperks, cafeteria with decent pricing and food and various opportunities to comingle with other employees to provide a family atmosphere.

ConsLong hours, training is not up to par, some of the salaries are not equal to the abilities of the employee and there are instances of favoritism that should not be so apparent in a job atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the need for Microsoft programs in just about every aspect of each job, there needs to be more classes that are available to employees to enhance their abilities within their jobs, to include the upper management.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!