Aetna Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.1

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini
Mark T. Bertolini

Pros
  • Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement (in 102 reviews)

• so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions (in 21 reviews)

• Employee health insurance benefits are very expensive and coverage limited (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Steady advancement is possible if you search out opportunities and make your goals and qualifications known.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most employees are proud to work at Aetna. The CEO's drive to impact health care and wellness, as well as making Aetna a Fortune Fifty company, inspire the staff to contribute toward those goals.

Cons

Currently Aetna is integrating the Coventry tools and staff. In such a large undertaking, the individual employee cannot be considered and talented people have not be able to obtain an optimum position for their skills and background. Some of my peers are having to find other employment.

The practice of limiting pay increases to a flat percentage often keeps an internal candidate from reaching the minimum salary for a new position; this is short sited. After marking time in the new job they may consider making a lateral move to a competitor to obtain market rate compensation. Employees who have to contribute to family financial stability often cannot sacrifice pay for the hope of greater opportunities. Young talent and drive is being forced find more appropriate salary structures.

Enjoyed my time as an intern

Former Employee - Security and Policy Education  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Security and Policy Education in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, even as an intern I was given the option to set up my work schedule, I was given a company laptop which sometimes allowed me to work from home as an intern. Attended high level meeting with executive and enjoyed the work environment. I had coworker all over the country who we corroborated via phone and Webex meeting.

Cons

the cubicle can get really boring that you might fall asleep easily.

I had a great manger wish the keep up with the good work

One of the best places to ever work!!!

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is an awesome company the people are great. The pay is OK not the best. There are no micro managers

Cons

Some on the company politics they all have them.

Give some of the entry level taken a chance and the company would do ten time better!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience

Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant  in  Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - QM Nurse Consultant in Bismarck, ND

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good computer resources to make day to day work easier
    Supportive team and leaders
    Flexible work at home position .
    Good benefits including work balance benefits
    Company is filled with well qualified , caring people

Cons

Lost position after unit downsized.

Value employees that stick in though all of the changes

I feel as though working with Aetna has been positive overall experience thus far.

Current Employee - Senior Quality Auditor  in  Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Auditor in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This company cares about our overall well being. Whether it is physical or emotional, Aetna cares about its employees.

Cons

Transisitioning over to Aetna's business practices and ensuring the migrating of both proctices are best for both members and business plans.

Listen more to your employees and how they feel the current processes affect both customer and business changes.

Clinical Mgmt.. "Good Ole Girls Club", sad, sad

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

The employees are extremely hard workers, and give it their ALL, every time they enter those doors.

Cons

As far as the clinical mgmt. staff goes, it is unbelievable to see how favoritism is displayed on a regular basis in ALL area of daily running of business. How " various reports "are given to employees that should OBVIOUSLY be done by management. LACK OF TRUST for some of the management is a " given", due to the conflicting changes made and are told are "directly from "AETNA", in which there are always "conflicting" reports. Being able to "freely " go about inquiring ANYTHING and I do mean ANYTHING, is swiftly halted due to the " I KNOW PEOPLE IN THE COMPANY" fear tactic by some management in my opinion is COERCION in every sense of the word. It ,was , because a few years ago a huge number of people left because of management. I would think after a while the "AETNA" brass would be taking a strong look at this situation. " WELLNESS " should also be for the employees and NOT just for the members we serve with our blood, sweat and tears.

Mr. Mark Bertolini , please keep you employees in mind.

IT

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

relative stable, cutting age technology, low to media stress level

Cons

too focus on cost. buy first build second policy

It's difficult to identify who is running the company Aetna or an acquired company

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

the hours are great and its a casual office. Resources are plentiful making doing your job easier and accurate.

Cons

There doesn't appear to be a main contact for HR issues. It is difficult to identify whose HR's rules you are to follow. You are told that you are following Aetna rules but your performance is judged by unwritten rules from a company that was Acquired. And the acquired company is more interested in protecting and advancing their employees rather than all employees.

Decide who is running the company! Aetna or your acquired companies. Publish performance rules and expectations that everyone is to follow and aspire to.

A monopoly that has us over a barrel, one step away from starting a company store to which we owe our souls.

Current Employee - Care Manager  in  New Albany, OH
    Current Employee - Care Manager in New Albany, OH

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary is decent. Clean, close to home, free parking, don't have to break your back tugging, lifting and pulling. The business aspect of Aetna is great, We are out to bust the competition and that we are doing well.

Cons

Politics, cronyism. The leadership for the Aetna One products. The amount of work they expect is impossible if done correctly. The audits and performance evaluations are the most subjective of any place I have ever worked in my long career as a registered professional nurse. Rules are not applied evenly and consistently to everyone. Promotions are based on who's friend you happen to be, and not on credentials or ability. Horrible clinical charting system. Option to work at home not applied consistently. Our supervisors have no idea what we actually do, and how long it takes with the horrible documentation system we have. They expect perfection, but do not have the tools to deliver perfection.

Determine what your staff is actually required to do, all the steps, hunting through a horribly convoluted network of computer systems that do not transfer data from one place to another. Work, re work, re-work, takes time away from actually helping members because you are so focused on the reports for the plan sponsors. Your culture and values are not applied in the New Albany office.

Stressful..no job security

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to work from home; decent salary

Cons

Constant lay-offs due to reorganization and outsourcing of jobs. Frustrating to have to reprocess claims due to inaccurate processing by overseas processors....and then be job eliminated after 15 years. Focus now is on quantity, not quality.

Be realistic in expectations.....go back to when quality mattered, not just quantity of claims processed. Consider keeping more jobs stateside...

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!