Aetna

Aetna Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Aetna Chairman, President, and CEO Mark T. Bertolini

Mark T. Bertolini

Pros:
  • "Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement"
    in 79 reviews
  • "so far more paid time off as well as more emphasis on work/life balance"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance was always a challenge and taking time-off Each year there was a fear of being laid off - even for good performers"
    in 19 reviews
  • "We are only offered a choice between 2 high deductible health insurance plans"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stressful job great pay

Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Arlington, TX

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay, Great location, close to my house and 8 - 5 hours, no weekends which is great for having a great work life balance. Great training program

ConsVery stressful call center environment. Things can change daily. 17-19 week training, very long and a lot of information to learn in that time period.

Excellent work at home RN clinical care manager/American Health Division

RN Clinical Care Manager (Current Employee)
New Albany, OH

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, great support staff, the best orientation ever! , generous raises and ongoing educational opportunities

ConsI have no negatives, You must be very independent and enjoy working alone at home on computer and phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing- it is obvious that you care about your employees and job retention. Your supervisors are very helpful. The AHH team is the best. New Albany Orient was high quality!

Overall a good place to work

Claim Benefit Specialist (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge portion of the workforce are work at home, very flexible hours and very relaxed dress code, with a few exceptions employees are allowed to manage their workload in whatever way works best for them.

ConsWork at home program currently on hold...good luck getting approval to go home if you aren't already there. Repetitive work that can get old after a while. Constant reshuffling of management and workforce structure.

Many telework opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aetna full-time

ProsAetna offers its employees Remote Access / Telework opportunities. Most jobs can be done from any location as long as you have a broadband connection! Most managers allow their full time employees to telework at least 1-2 days a week.

ConsWith the Coventry acquisition, Aetna is downsizing. They are doing and expecting more with a lot less employees. It's not about replacing the loyal ones that worked their for many years. It's about being a lean as possible to keep things going.

Overall a good place to work, good collaboration with employees in various departments, customer focused.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong leadership with active participation of employees in adapting to new products, initiatives and cultural change.

ConsWill likely continue to see reorganization and job elimination due to the acquisition of Conventry over the next year and a half.

Solid Company

I have been working at Aetna full-time

ProsGood benefits, able to work from home if needed, good view of how technology will help sector.

ConsTough to change positions, hard to be recognized for leadership opportunities

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoyed my tenure at Aetna. Employees were valued and telecommuting was an option for my position. Management was accessible and considerate. Overall compensation package was good.

ConsMedical benefits were a bit expensive. I expected them to be a bit more discounted considering it is a company specializing in medical benefits.

My experience with aetna was good

RN Nurse Consultant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Proswork from home is an excellent way to keep employees

ConsEmployees can easily be promoted to higher position

Advice to Senior ManagementContinunue to offer good training tothe employees

Aetna Internship

Summer Associate (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna as an intern for less than a year

ProsAetna has an incredible internship program that I participated in this past summer. In addition to competitive pay and incredible housing accommodations (extended stay hotel for the summer), Aetna clearly puts a focus on making the internship experience very valuable for everyone involved. The work was relevant to the business and significant in scope. Definitely not your average coffee grabbing paper stapling type of gig.

ConsThis was my experience interning at the Hartford location (headquarters) where 150 other interns were also located. I am not sure if other interns in other locations around the globe had same experience. We did have interaction with interns at other office locations, though, and they seemed just as pleased with the internship.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvertise this internship better! Most companies that pay interns that competitive and provide free summer housing in a hotel make headlines!

A throwback to legacy, old-fashioned America

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're an insurance actuary, this will be nirvana...

ConsAtavistic throwback to mid-century American corporate culture...phlegmatic, rigid and hierarchical
Stocked with many 2nd and 3rd generation Aetna-ites and/or Aetna lifers
And stocked to the gills with 50%-60% actuaries who are 2" wide and 20 miles deep
Getting hugely roughed up with self-inflicted acquisitions, Obamacare and failure to keep up with "best practices"
The worst HR department I've ever seen, bar none...

Advice to Senior ManagementMark Bertolini -- the CEO -- needs to spend less time worrying about his Klout score and more time thinking about the day-to-day operations of this behemoth entity
The plans for radical cultural transformation to make Aetna the "Walmart" of health care and a high performing business are well-intentioned but doomed to inevitable failure as the inertia of the business is so heavy and sluggish...

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aetna reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aetna CEO Mark T. Bertolini. All 430 reviews posted anonymously by Aetna employees.