Aetna

Employer Engaged

Good Company to Work for

Former Employee - Field Marketing Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic and forwarding thinking

Cons

Constant restructuring creating a culture of uncertainty

Create a more stable work environment

The good with the bad

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna

Pros

Lots of ee benefits available to choose from. Parking was convenient. Cafeteria right on site. Gym onsite. Doctor's office onsite. Ability to meet lots of different people in many different positions.

Cons

The company seemed to be cutting back on paying for things in many ways. Most years, they'd pay less of your medical premium, while you paid more. Employees with more than 25 years service lost a weeks vacation. Had to pay for parking.

Listen to shareholders less, your employees more. Many have great thoughts and comments, which I'm sure come out in the surveys you do. You talk a good game about culture change, but don't really mean it.

Corporate Culture

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries can be competitive. However you will need strong negotiation skills. Has decent learning center and recently implemented career path tools for employees. Raised wages for lower income workers. Great place for to work for woman.

Cons

Does not value diversity of thought. 70% of new hires come from outside the company. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement. Company tends to performing lots of department reorganizations to make up for lack of talent development by managers. Performance reviews are not done consistently across the company. Diversity in management positions is lacking in all business areas. Middle management is unaware of the skills necessary to perform job functions. No commitment to training employees. Current talent management tools have not been well received and are not widely used across the enterprise...example my recent manager asked me what I do every day; after 2 1/2 years of being my manager he did not have a clue.

Consider focus groups with employees to understand what is working, training needed to become successful. Stop using the old-boy network for career advancement. Do a better job of managing talent. It cost 3x as much to hire from the outside for roles that current employees could take on if given the opportunity. Develop a solid strategy to move talent around the company to develop their all-around skills.

Horrible

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

It's decent salary that's all. No compassion.

Cons

Things are not right at the top, so how could they possibly be right at my level?

Learn how to do your jobs, stop being disrespectful especially to new hires. The Leads knows more when it comes to the knowledge of their departments than the Superviors, and the managers knows. They don't want you asking anyone on the floor for help, you feel U welcomed, and you hear that all around you don't ask my team members for any help need to stay focused. Aetnas CEO really doesn't know what really goes on at our level. He would if he cared enough to stop by, fly in and sit down with employees in one on ones.

Mixed review

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, great coworkers work at home options

Cons

Non existent HR dept. You have to call an 800 # to be assigned a number & then someone calls you. I felt the process to be confusing & of no help!
    You work long hours & are micro managed to death.

Listen to the employees! You need a better process with HR. Had some serious concerns about my manager & went to HR & my concerns fell upon deaf ears. Set up a process for employees to voice concerns. The current process is seriously lacking & great reliable long time employees are being bullied & then terminated. Please listen to the working employees at the front line!

Constant change

Current Employee - Financial Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like with any change if it's positive and in your favor it's exciting and can be rewarding to work at Aetna.

Cons

To much turnover at all levels more so even at middle management and above. Consequently to much focus is put on short-term results, and many of the same mistakes get repeated by new management.

My advise would be to have a more longer term focus and to build a reward structure around that thinking. However this is a philosophical choice, it's like investing some are day traders some invest for the long term.

Depends on Your Manager(s)

Former Employee - Network Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Aetna

Pros

Comprehensive benefits and very fair compensation.

Cons

The national Medicaid contracts group had some toxic blood, unsupportive management and managers, to say the least. Poorly led by senior managers who were rough around around the edges and more like used car salesmen than professionals seeking to lead by example.

Invest in learning how to manage staff in the 21st centure - and how to communicate both orally and in writing.

They have no idea what's going on

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

They increased salaries to a minimum of $16/hr for people in customer service.
    The big wigs are very nice and hold conferences for all employees to share information.

Cons

When it comes to IT, they have no idea what's going on. projects are created and they work for a month and then change what they're doing so you have to start at square one.

Figure out what youre doing before you begin.

Management is completely unconcerned with employees , they are unethical in several different areas

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Choose the right department and you may be good..weekends off .....Accrue PTO from the first day of employment

Cons

Horrible benefits
    Salary is low
    No incentives
    Training is not good
    Time off is difficult

Management needs to take some classes on how to be an effective supervisor, promoting individuals who don't have the proper skills just doesn't cut it.

Lots to like about Aetna.

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the ambitious person there are many opportunities for advancement and cross training. They work hard to find build and keep top talent.

Cons

With over 150 years behind them there is a constant struggle to get leaner. Which means that there is always staff cutting. This can lead to a "save my job" mentality in some management and staff.

Aetna Photos