Affiliated Computer Services Reviews

Reset
2.4
Affiliated Computer Services President, CEO, and Director Lynn R. Blodgett
Lynn R. Blodgett

Pros
  • Work from home / remotely for many positions (in 69 reviews)

• The good news is there is decent work/life balance (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be challenging at times (in 20 reviews)

• no raises (even merit increases) over the past six years (in 38 reviews)

1. Great people, underpaid

Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, caring team. Decent benefits.

Cons

No raises in five years. Benefits don't seem to be on par with competitors.

2. Salary

Current Employee - Project Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees were genuine and my immediate manager was great. We counted on one another for support and the work produced was above quality standards. The ability to work from home was a good perk.

Cons

The main challenge was working for an organization that did not recognize their employees. The salary did not commensurate with experience nor were there any bonuses. Employee retention was almost impossible as people found employment elsewhere. You have to pay employees what they are worth.

Advice to Management

Recruit managers that have experience with managing people. Employee retention is cheaper for all involved.

no growth

Current Employee - Systems Development Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Development Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cant say anything good

Cons

no salary no growth in 6 yrs

5. Constant layoffs slow to adapt change

Former Employee - Senior Info Management Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Info Management Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, telecommuting is widely accepted

Cons

Constant lay offs, reduction in play, lousy benefits, and just overall low morale

Advice to Management

Cut the fat, run thinner, and pay more to keep quality employees.

6. Lynn has sold his morman soul to the evil empire of Xerox

Current Employee - SBU Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SBU Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All left when Xerox came to town

Cons

Employee are disposable liabilities, and reminded of that fact often

Advice to Management

Stop making your greediness do obviously

7. Not good experience. Not optimistic for future either.

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Large Healthcare GOVT contracts. Good sales team.

Cons

No work life balance, no structured work approach, leadership crisis.

Advice to Management

Attention to detail is the key. Hire people who can deliver.

ACS doesn't care for it's employees! Turned bad over the last 3 yrs... and worse with the Xerox takeover

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services

Pros

People are very good to work with, and very knowledgeable

Cons

Senior Management is the worst you'll find in the country.

While the senior-most management gets bigger bonuses and raises -- the employees doing the actual work, even those with long term tenures and the strongest subject matter expertise -- get fired; their salaries/promotions get frozen and all all the while the cost of living goes up.

And to rub salt in the wound -- they get more, and lie about it all -- to employee and client alike. Employee surveys are conducted, and for some reason you'll always get results "published" claiming how happy we all are!

When ever you receive an email saying how well ACS/Xerox is doing, or proclamation of another town-hall meeting -- BEWARE. Under one corporate-speak "label" or another, it will be followed by more Lay-offs, RIFs (Reduction in Force), WBPs (Workforce Balancing Program), Cost-Reduction Incentives (now I hear they're even going to stop giving employees drinking water and coffee?), etc... most of which are in reality -- ROFs ("Replacement" of Force) -- which all mean that your US job is being replaced by some one cheaper abroad, (or of course by a way costlier "consultant" from the US even).

Advice to Management

Show employees you care...

- Proper Career & Succession Planning
    - Provide employees opportunity to grow
    - Stop shipping our jobs abroad
    - Learn to say the truth and stop hypocrisy: Stop sending out messages about how well we're doing followed immediately by inconsiderate and totally unintelligent Lay-offs, RIFs (Reduction in Force), WBPs (Workforce Balancing Program), and Cost-Reduction Incentives (now I hear they're even going to stop giving employees drinking water and coffee?)
    - You're making enough profits - so give benefits and salaries per market standards
    - Try for a more transparent culture

Sweat Shop that has little opportunity for white men and women

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services

Pros

Interesting projects and a lot of good people. Recently purchased by Xerox, and conditions should improve when ACS becomes fully integrated with Xerox.

Cons

Incompetent and uncaring management team. There is no feel that there are corporate ethics. Employees are overworked. There have been no raises in years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees -- they can help you make your projects successful. Take care of the employees -- realize that they want to have a life outside of work.

10. Pays well but you would be laid off at any moment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services

Pros

Management allows you to work from home. My team is flexible when you need time for personal issues. Pays very well. If managed well I could be worth much more than I am paid but...

Cons

Oh, let me count the ways. Starts from the top and just rolls on down. This is a company of companies. You get paid well but you are treated like a contractor but you don't get paid as well as a contractor should for short term employment. The layoff schedule is tied to the project plans and any other reason that you can think of. The layoff schedule looks like this. End of quarter, layoffs. Project ends successfully, layoffs. The project ends unsuccessfully, layoffs. A project milestone is met, layoffs. A project milestone is not met, layoffs. New management comes in, layoffs. This has everyone in the company working to keep their job and not working to get the job done as this would mean more layoffs.

Advice to Management

If you want projects completed don't tie the layoff schedule to the project plan. Management needs training at all levels. I'm not a touchy feely person but learn how to love your employees. Don't hire too many people. Hire the right people. There are too many that don't have the experience or the ability to perform the jobs they were hired for.

11. Don't waste your time

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services

Pros

Benefits are okay and some of the people I work with are real "top guns'

Cons

Ridiculous raise and bonus potential. How can management expect top performance when the average raise is 1-3%(fact). Management team are looking out for themselves and I absolutely DISAPPROVE of the way our customers are treated. Also, the HR people are all your best friends until you do something which they disapprove of, even personally. Then they put on their holier than though hats and people get fired. This company should go out of business. If the customers only knew who they were turning over the HR and IT services too, they would run reconsider the outsource idea all together.

Advice to Management

Start over from scratch and get to know your employees. ACS is an glorified Temp agency. If they care so little about the employees....then how much do they care about their contracted customers????

Showing 13 of 1,047 reviews