Affiliated Computer Services

Affiliated Computer Services Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Affiliated Computer Services President, CEO, and Director Lynn R. Blodgett

Lynn R. Blodgett

Pros:
  • "Most of the staff can work from home, because it saves ACS rent on office space"
    in 58 reviews
  • "Work life balance was good depending on your direct manager"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant reorganization and only focused on quarterly earnings, work/life balance horrible"
    in 17 reviews
  • "No raises, no opportunities for advancement, some times unprofessional management"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

There are some really good, hard-working people here, but it is a sweat shop

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services

ProsI worked with a lot of smart, hard-working people. For the most part, all of your co-workers are giving at least 100% all the time and there was a lot of support and comradery at the team level.

ConsYou are pretty much treated like a slave by the company. There is no respect for the individual beyond your immediate management. I have often heard employees and former employees describe the environment as a sweat shop. There is no job security whatsoever, even for good employees. If the company has a bad quarter, expect a RIF. Even though ACS was acquired by Xerox, they are still run as separate companies and ACS has a different culture than Xerox.

Disappointing focus on near term

Vice President (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for less than a year

ProsInitial interest in developing a differentiated offering to the run of the mill outsourced benefits services

ConsSr Management appears to be focused on the bottom line and their own fat salaries and bonuses. Constant turnover and negative impact to careers of hardworking individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the senior management and bring in some real leaders. Take some cues from the parent company - Xerox.

an equal opportunity employer

Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee)
Cary, NC

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSkills to successful work relationships

Consa very diverse atmosphere, almost a little too diverse

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time

ProsGreat for a right now job

Conson-the-job training, the training they provide is not adequate and you are not well prepared for the floor to answer phone calls and questions

Fun, caring and good experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement was caring and helpful, my co-workers were a blast of fun, the company keeps you informed and their employee benefits, the discounts and HR was very visible and easy to access.

ConsThe work can be repetetive and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore leadership training, maybe a mentorship program and career growth building.

No Long Term Outlook

Director, Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work itself is great; love my commute and the flexibility it provides.

Consdecisions are all based on what numbers call for. Upper/Executive Management is out of touch with the work needing to be performed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage for something beyond the next Quarter Point.

Great co-workers / clients. Not so great Senior Management focused on bonuses to the detriment of customers and quality.

Managing Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe talent at ACS is very good and the clients and client work tends to be interesting and challenging.

ConsGenerally, senior management wields a very non-specific "axe" when it comes to budget cuts and RIFs. Even highly successful and profitable client programs are forced to cut which results in customer dis-satisfaction and eventually lost clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've hired some very qualified program level execs and managers...let them manage!!

Last Resort Employment

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThe other Customer Service Reps are awesome and there to help whenever it is needed. You can move up fairly quickly in the company. Good for short term employment. Shift bids every 6-8 months.

ConsThe upper management only cares about the bonuses that you can make them. Pay is horrible considering the people that you have to talk to all day (customers belittle you and scream and there is nothing you can do). Once you finally start getting used to something, they change it. Almost impossible metrics to meet and then you get in trouble. It is a mandatory full time position unless you have a Doctor's note or proof of being a Student. No Flexibility.

Offshore management,vision and management "leadership"

Non, OK

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork/Life balance, flexible schedule and work from home only

ConsNo salary increases, paid on minimum range of market, just focus on Bottom line, management only caring about their bonuses, very unprofessional way from management to communicate with employees, a lot of wasted resources due to lack almost non existent HR presence and practices, HR is basically there to make sure the company does not get in any legal problems but could care less if the employees left as long as the company can pay nothing for the time being served by the employee and there is no legal problem, basically you are another number or once exiting being treat like a dog, in order to get to career path or to other positions the buddy system is the only way to get there, you need to by pally to management or be cheap, but good things comes with a price tag and management simply look the other way.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove current management structure if XBS wants to be world-class company, all support personnel functions specially on site management needs to be look with magnifier and very likely removed, they are there because they either are cheap, they have been there for thousands years and they are next online or typically pally with upper management, look for the right people and the right profile and avoid look at resources current titles and CVs as some of them are modified to suit needs and to be attractive to the system when there is no survey at what the people and society think about these "managers", they have the titles are because of the reasons above but if you look at their appearance outside the facilities they haven't contribute to anything and they simply cannot represent the brand nor sell our company, interview from top to bottom with professional recruiters as recruiters are also contaminated with the same old way to doing thing and biasing to pally buddy-buddy system.

ACS

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services

ProsI enjoyed working for ACS for most of my nine years with the company. The company was a great place to obtain Accounting and Finance experience.

ConsThe company is focused on offshoring the Accounting and Finance departments. Opportunities to advance are now limited in the United States.
Benefits have declined in the past five years. 1) No match on 401K, 2) The company stopped giving yearly raises. 3) At times, ACS has asked all employees to reduce salary by 3% (the company was profitable at the time, but not enough to make budget goals).

Worked for Affiliated Computer Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Affiliated Computer Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Affiliated Computer Services CEO Lynn R. Blodgett. All 873 reviews posted anonymously by Affiliated Computer Services employees.