Affiliated Computer Services

Updated October 16, 2014
2.2

Affiliated Computer Services President, CEO, and Director Lynn R. Blodgett
Lynn R. Blodgett

Pros
  • My previous manager made my life a lot easier letting me work from home, (in 69 reviews)

• Telecommuting is widely accepted and helps contribute to an acceptable work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be challenging at times (in 19 reviews)

• No raises, no opportunities for advancement, some times unprofessional management (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Cherry Hill office is located near the Patco train station. Great for commuting.

Cons

The company had too many layoffs.
      About 6 per year.

Better management of the business is needed instead of constantly reducing staff.

Good for developing a career

Current Employee - Senior Information Security Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Information Security Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good for learning. You'll get exposed to all sorts of projects and implementations in a high tempo environment. This is a perfect place to solidify your career.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand the company and are unable to provide good guidance. Overworks resources and doesn't know how to manage workloads.

Not the best employer

Former Employee - Helpdesk
    Former Employee - Helpdesk

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are a contract outsourcing agency and they grandfathered by seniority when they purchased the contract. They also paid for some of my expenses to be transferred out of state.

Cons

Poor planning when contract was first purchased. Poor handling of the primary client which eventually led to the loss of the Helpdesk portion of the contract. Very restrictive stock sharing policy. No severance package at all, just a temporary supplement to unemployment.

ACS, now known as Xerox will be awesome or sad depending on the project it is associated with.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training program seemed fairly thorough. I did not feel completely thrown to the wolves like other call centers have done.
    The money incentives seem to pretty good (see cons for the catch).

Cons

Each branch has it's own project. One branch could be helping answer health insurance questions while the other could be representing a major cellular service provider. If the project stinks, your job stinks and unfortunately you are the only decision maker in that respect. For example, insurance questions would be awesome for me because I like facts and can hold a discussion well. For you, it might be very boring since all the questions would be roughly the same. For me, working as customer service for a cellular provider was torture. Customers wanted free phones or billing credits and held me hostage through bad surveys if I didn't do it. You might actually be able to diffuse situations like that and avoid bad surveys.

The compensation at my branch was pretty awesome as long as you had no life whatsoever. They paid 10 an hour plus an additional 10 dollars for each 2 hours of Overtime you worked (on top of the time and a half you get for the OT). Let's say you worked 60 hours, that would be 800 dollars that week. Not too bad for coming in 2 hours early and staying 2 hours later each shift. You get burned out really quick though,

Speaking of getting burned out, you are just a body to the company. They have a goal of so many people taking so many calls. Limited chance of promotion since it's a catch 22. If you are no good at taking calls, of course they will not promote you. If you are good at taking calls, why would they promote you? They need you taking calls.

Employees are undervalued

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has talented, hard working employees who are committed to serving their clients to the best of their abilities.

Cons

Not enough focus on recognizing employees. A high percentage of employees are not paid for their performance, and the company has lost a lot of talent over the last two years due management's insensitivity to people care.

Take care of the employees. There are far too many employees that have not had merit increases in over 3 years.

Customer service rep assigned at Brother.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bartlett, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bartlett, TN

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a permanent full time employee. Working on weekends was not required.

Cons

The quality scoring was far too strict, scripted support required for calls, poor benefits package. No opportunities for career advancement. Inflexible scheduling, no vacation benefits.

Great people, underpaid

Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great, caring team. Decent benefits.

Cons

No raises in five years. Benefits don't seem to be on par with competitors.

Good place

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services

Pros

Good learning, Lot of process , Good people

Cons

No proper management, Poor salary

Salary and infrastructure needs to be improved.

Good place to work

I have been working at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work and great flexibility .
    No one watching over your shoulders how you do things , importance to getting things done

Cons

Work life balance could be challenging at times

perks and timely appraisals are important for employees

Ok place to work, generally low compensation.

Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Affiliated Computer Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offer many work from home contracts, various types of work but mostly dealing with healthcare services. Most departments allow for fairly flexible work schedules but it's totally dependent on the department supervisor.

Cons

Benefits and compensation are lower than average, especially compared to working directly for the companies they pick up contracts from. Anyone not in a management or corporate sales position is viewed as entirely expendable.

Improve employee benefits and relations. Management generally views the employee base as replaceable parts. I understand that ACS will likely never be able to provide benefits/wages on par with the companies they contract with, but there are other ways of showing employee appreciation.

Affiliated Computer Services Photos