Affiliated Engineers, Inc Reviews

Jerrold A Schuett

1. Opportunities to Learn

Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great environment for the self-directed person with an entrepreneurial spirit. Opportunities to learn are plentiful. Projects are complex and interesting. The people who work here are unusually bright problem-solvers who enjoy contributing to hospitals, research facilities, and academic environments. For engineers who want to work on interesting and complex projects, there are some great opportunities here.

Cons

This environment seems to suit people who enjoy being self-directed and are flexible in their approach to working together. It's probably not the best environment for anyone who prefers fixed approaches or black and white thinking.

Rollercoaster Ride through hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Affiliated Engineers, Inc

Pros

Supposed to figure out at least 1 pro. Good pay.

Cons

Managing principal is a workaholic who expects everyone to put in a lot of overtime, office hires most people with little experience who can't do the job, principal loves to yell at and berate employees. If you can live walking on eggshells, enjoy never doing a job right, getting no respect or appreciation, or being a mindreader this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Find a leader for the office.

You're just a warm body with a degree

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and compensation wasn't bad, on the surface. You do get to work on a wide range of projects and get exposure in different areas and sectors.

Cons

It's very much a "sink or swim" mentality where management expects you to learn everything on your own. Some more senior people will offer help, but often only when they have time because everyone is over worked and stressed to meet deadlines. This is mostly due to the fact that the company frequently underbids projects to win them so you are expected to work 50+ hour weeks but only report 40 so it appears that the project is on budget and schedule. Because your efforts are purely based on how many hours you put in on your timesheet towards a given project, your individual work and efforts are not valued much. This is probably so that letting you go once a project is complete and work is slower is not as difficult, which happens frequently. Advancement is difficult since managers like to play favorites and there are obvious gender inequalities. There also seems to be a high turnaround with employees coming and leaving. The office environment is not very professional with fraternity-like behavior that can't even be reported because there is no local HR official, forcing those that don't want to participate to feel uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an HR official in every office, not just someone designated to do the paperwork who has a different job title. It's difficult to report issues when they can't be kept confidential. Management should not be encouraging and engaging in unprofessional behavior within the office. It makes those that are uncomfortable with it feel isolated and uncomfortable.

Designer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, easy to communicate with. They are willing to train and mentor you to be efficient in the field. proffessional environment.

Cons

Need to appreciate anyone/everyone they hired not just praise the "engineers" and disregard the other talents.

Good company.

I worked at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time

Pros

I found the benefits, 401K, Dental/Healthcare/vision insurance to be good.

Cons

Long hours required of personnel that have not been laid off. Management does not seem to have a handle on their staffing requirements at this time.

Advice to Management

Needs to open their corporate eyes to see the fatigue and frustration of your employees. You use to be a company to stand above the others, now you may have caused what you were trying not to do... be gobbled up by another company.

7. AEI review

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc

Pros

Great working environment. Excellent projects. Helpful senior staff.

Cons

Compensation, reimbursements, on the job training and support staff are lacking.

8. Great Work Culture, Competitive Pay and Benefits, Good Recognition of Achievements

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great place to work and apply skills that you have been able to learn in the trade or from school. Work environment is full of many team members with diverse backgrounds and who are very skilled in what they do. They allow you to push yourself to obtain different experiences working on many different projects.

Cons

None that apply to this workplace. The only downside could be the attitude of a disgruntled employee who didn't receive what they had hoped for and then made sure to let individuals know how they felt, thus diminishing moral of others.

Advice to Management

None.

Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc

Pros

It was a pay check

Cons

horrible management, lay offs are common, low salary, and no raises

10. Good Job - Just Couldn't Stay In It

Former Employee - Senior Engineer - Mechanical in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer - Mechanical in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Affiliated Engineers, Inc

Pros

AEI has historically managed to win many of the most interesting and challenging projects away from its competition. Since it has succeeded with so many special and technically intense jobs, its management is well-versed and skilled in handling a wide variety of design and project management issues. Its track record of completing complex projects on time and budget is enviable, and that translates into opportunity for someone interested in expanding their career. They have several offices, which theoretically makes for more opportunities to find the right place to work. I found the management readily accessible at all levels, with even the most highly-placed people available to discuss whatever was needed.

Cons

In the short time I was there I found really nothing to complain about. It's a big organization with a lot of well-established players. There is a great deal of culture to be respected, including standard procedure that may or may not be the best way to execute a given aspect of a project. I'm referring specifically to standard details or specification language that could use some revisitation, which often doesn't happen due to time constraints. Things can take a little longer to accomplish than in a smaller organization. I found myself taking the time to ensure that the "right" people got copied on communications, often using phone calls for verification. None of this represents a problem for me - I am pretty sure that I would still be there if it weren't for this rotten economy we find ourselves in. I had hoped AEI would turn out to be more "recession-resistant" than other firms. Not so.

Advice to Management

Nothing I haven't already said while I was there. I had excellent access to senior management.

11. Great company comprised of some very intillegent problems solvers that get to work on some amazing projects.

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc

Pros

Great people. AEI provides you with the opportunity to work with some great clients.

Cons

Career path is unclear; professional development isn't promoted.

Advice to Management

Mentorship plans would make AEI an even better place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed