Affiliated Managers Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sean M. Healey

Great Place to Work in Asset Management

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Prides Crossing, MA

ProsAMG has built and continues to develop its position as a world-class asset management company. Working in this entrepreneurial culture enables smart, driven and focused individuals the opportunity to further the company’s mission to be a global leader in the asset management industry. If you are looking for an intellectually challenging workplace there are few competitive firms within the financial services industry that offer a comparable range of professional opportunities. As AMG grows and expands its footprint, there will continue to be new and exciting positions within the business for employees to advance their careers.

ConsGiven the “campus” is located north of Boston, meeting up for drinks with friends and associates after work can be challenging.

CONTRACTORS BEWARE @ AMG!!! TELL YOUR EMPLOYMENT AGENCY OR AUDIT FIRM TO SEND YOU ELSEWHERE!

Beverly, MA

ProsNo reason whatsoever to work at AMG as a temp from an employment agency especially if you are the only one from your agency - You will be depressed or go insane! They are temp/contractor unfriendly.

If you are from an audit firm, you probably don't have much choice but to go and represent your audit firm. In your case, the fact that you will most likely come as a group from your audit firm may help you maintain your sanity.

The good thing about being a part of an audit group @ AMG is that they will assign a room to your group with a large camera close-by to watch and listen to your conversations.

Another good thing is that they will provide a phone room (probably bugged with an eavesdropping device) to secretly record your personal conversations.

Finally, IT just got smart by adding the word 'contractor' to the e-mail addresses of contractors or temps! This way, they are alerting everyone to filter you out from the several, daily secret e-mails!!

ConsYour employment agency will most likely paint the most beautiful picture of this gated 'castle' located somewhere in "wealth land" 600 Some Street in Beverly, whereby chefs cook magnificent free lunch for the employees, cozy gym in a mansion etc.....well, they probably don't know you are not allowed in the gym, you are not part of this free lunch program which is meant for the privileged full-time AMG staff. They will also forget to tell you about this secret culture @ AMG!!! Is it a cult?

You are confined to your desk or room (in case of a audit group). You are allowed to go to the bathroom assigned to your group, you can use the photocopy machine (Camera? Where?). If you are the type that likes to stretch your legs after sitting for long hours, be careful where you go and how often!! HR will probably just appear like a fairy in front of you from nowhere and ask if they can walk you around (knowing fully well that you have worked there for months and you know your way around your confinement!)

What is all this secrecy about? It seems to be more than just protecting vital information (which is normal for any company and understandable considering the nature of their business). Is there more to it?

Advice to Senior ManagementUse some of your charitable contributions to provide food for contractors/ temps. You can begin charity from home! Food is way too cheap in America!!!....especially the type of nature-abundant leaves and flowers you serve for lunch.

Also, keep everyone healthy irrespective of employment status- Open the gym for contractors too!! They will work more efficiently (great ROI). Remember to put posters all over the gym to read " shhhhh". This way full-time employees will remember not to discuss those secrets!!!

Give some incentives to those front desk girls....they'll stay longer!

Hard working and fun loving; success is expected

Beverly, MA

ProsSmart, driven, risk-oriented people; intellectually challenging environment; innovator in its industry so there is always something new going on; long hours and stressful at times but very respectful of personal commitments- they strike the right balance; compensation is very good, benefits are phenomenal, and expectations about both are very clear; IT and HR departments are the best I've ever worked with.

ConsThe only downside to AMG is that because it is so successful, people don't leave very often, so there is very little upward mobility. It is also a relatively lean organization so there aren't many management levels (a good thing mostly). Thus, if you are a subject expert and are happy with a role that allows you to flourish in your subject area, then this is a great place to be. Similarly, if you want a job that you can leverage into a better opportunity down the road, this is a great stepping stone. However, if you are looking for a place to join and move around or "climb the ladder," you will be frustrated.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a nightmare.

Prides Crossing, MA

ProsThis place is located in a converted mansion and has a gym, personal chef for gourmet lunches and kick-ass health benefits.

ConsThis place is run by a bunch of elitists, all thinking very highly of themselves. It's one of the most inequitable companies, where the culture is based on upper mgmt paying themselves all if not most of the profits, leaving a few crumbs for the associates and others. Management is exceptionally insular and non-communicative. If you don't fit the mold (white male with an Ivy League MBA and exceptional family wealth), don't bother applying... that is unless you're looking to be an Executive Assistant. In that case, don't bother applying unless you're female, thin, tan, blonde & relatively attractive. Those seem to be the pre-requisites to being an Executive Assistant at this place (but no, there's no discrimination - ha). The pay was decent at best - definitely not worth losing my dignity. Training was horrible (i.e. non-existent). Lots of back stabbing. However, a handful of the senior leaders were stellar. Sadly, some of them have since left (no surprise). And unfortunately, my manager was a socially dysfunctional man-child who wanted to be involved in every aspect of my job, except when things go wrong - micro management and ego were huge. And don't bother joining this place if you're not a Republican. They actually handed out Republican candidate bumper stickers and yard signs while I was there. Please. Worst. Job. Ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean shop on some of the less impressive SVP/VPs. Their coworkers and subordinates will thank you.

Affiliated Managers Group - Prides Crossing

Prides Crossing, MA

ProsTruly invested in employees. AMG had a top shelf working enviornment (I am speaking about the actual building and property..the grounds are stunning and well maintained). The Company itself promoted their employees to live a healthy life style - there are tennis courts, biking, and hiking trails, and a gym - the Company, very much so encouraged you to work out during the day. There was a chef onsite (not just any chef, a gourmet chef) and the meals were increadible.

When it came to benefits (health, dental & vision, 401k, matching, stock options), it was hard to find a competitor in their industry. Simply amazing. I didn't realize how good my benefits were until I left (although they weren't enough to make me stay).

When it came to the Upper Management (Directors, VP's, and even EVPS..CEO himself), they were all very nice people and extremely approachable. I was young when I started there and definitely in a low level position, I can say that I was shocked on how many people were rooting for me. I felt very comfortable talking with any EVP, VP, or Director (on of the EVP's recently reached out to me to congratulate me on a new position..I haven't been in that Company for about 4 years).

ConsReviews - I understand that when it comes to larger Company's, reviews that occur more than annually simply aren't feasible, but AMG doesn't have 1000+ employees (not even 200). Reviews that occur so infrequently in a small company can be ver disconnected. Why is a routine dialouge so hard to maintain.

Red Tape! - Watch out for that! Too many policies and procedures. When I wanted to do something creative and explore, I need to get approval (over and over)..and usually denied. But for what? It was never beyond my specialty, but wanting to shadow someone and learn more about the field I was in wasn't embraced.

A visitor once came in and asked "Is this a modeling agency?" You will see an unusally high number of very pretty young women. AMG doesn't discriminate/pre-screen or anything like that, but if your pretty its a major plus (and well known!).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open enough to see your direct reports talent and potential

Great place to work

(Current Employee)

ProsAMG has a great culture, with many employees having the “work hard, play hard” mentality. Highly intelligent and fun colleagues who I enjoy working with, but also socializing with outside work, and have made several lifelong friends. Big global presence with opportunities to work in international and domestic offices, takes very good care of their employees, promotes from within, rewarding atmosphere, wealth of knowledge through affiliated firms and also within AMG, long standing executives who are passionate about AMG both through its people and performance, but with an emphasis and appreciation that it would not be what it is without its dedicated employees.
    High-quality people producing high-quality work, good company morale, employees are encouraged to participate in events for charity.

ConsBecause many people have been at AMG for a while, it’s quite a tight knit group that can seem hard to penetrate for new employees, but once you get to know people and you establish and prove yourself as a motivated, capable person, it’s a very rewarding place to work. You’re surrounded by very smart, interesting people who will put in long hours, so you collaborate and compete with the best.

Great company to work for

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture; incredibly innovative business; talented employees. AMG hires the best of the best – my colleagues are smart, impressive and a pleasure to work with. Senior management is extremely approachable and fosters a culture around hard work, a commitment to excellence and appreciation of the company’s success. AMG is fast-growing with numerous opportunities for professional development, especially on the international side. Since the company is still relatively young within the financial services industry, you don’t have to deal with bureaucratic policies and there is open communication throughout all levels of the organization. Managers are loyal to their respective teams/departments, and employees have a strong sense of pride in the work they do here.

ConsOften too busy to take advantage of the facilities, including gym, running trails, tennis court, etc. Commute can be a drag at times.

Very tough place to work, not worth the money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGym and lunch; beautiful campus.

ConsOne of the strangest places you will every visit. Full of blond, pretty females in their 20s in high heels delivering soda cans and snack bars. You have to be a white male to succeed at the company. Work is repetitive and boring, people's brains start to atrophy after doing the same thing over and over again. Employee development is non-existent; there's no real review process or anything to encourage one to learn and grow as a professional. Worst managers ever, there's no decision-making authority other than the very top. Your mission is crystal clear - make sure the executive team continues to receive their preposterous bonuses year after year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around, it's not the 60s anymore!

Worked for Affiliated Managers Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Affiliated Managers Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Affiliated Managers Group CEO Sean M. Healey. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Affiliated Managers Group employees.