Affinion Group

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.6

Todd Siegel

Pros
  • Very good pay with good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• employees are treated relatively fairly and the company fosters a nice work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is more concerned with saving their own skin then doing whats best for everyone (in 7 reviews)

• Business model is old and definitely needs revamping and product offerings have very little value (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Stressful work environment, good people for the most part

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Affinion Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard-working co-workers that you could trust
    The review process is lengthy, so you know where you fall and what you need to improve on
    Programs for bonding outside of work

Cons

Frequent layoffs, office politics, upper-level apathy for bottom-rung employees, stressful work environment, overall office attitude went downhill during my time there in general (probably due to the layoffs).

In order to get ahead, you need to invest in the technology that power your products-- you all need responsive design and better analytics programs to be able to get ahead with advertisers and clients.

Some good some bad

I worked at Affinion Group full-time

Pros

Great management. Bonus structure changes constantly. Flexibility and incentives make it worth working for the company. Everyone is like a big giant family. Increase in pay every quarter depending on performance.

Cons

Not enough room to grow. Take a lot of services and you don't get compensated for the work you do. Bilingual representatives have it the hardest.

Refresher courses, as well as sales courses would improve the quality of employees calls.

Great place to work with excellent benefits!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westerville, OH

I have been working at Affinion Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmopshere, friendly enviornment, great benefits and perks from movie tickets and gift card drawings to center wide events and lunches.

Cons

Often times we are busy reacting so much that it limits our ability to be proactive.

Keep listening to your employees and we will continue to make the strides necessary to get where we want to be. Since I have been employed we have made a lot of positive changes at all levels, and I hope to see that continue.

Up and DOWN. Company was fun and dynamic, but benefit cutbacks and restructuring has driven the best talent away...

Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Stamford, CT

I worked at Affinion Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Talented individuals in many parts of the organization
     - Pretty good work like balance (but it could be very different depending on your manager/department)
     - If you apply yourself, you can learn about a lot of interesting industries and make introductions/connections that may open doors later
     - Opportunities for personal development through training courses
     - Support employees getting involved in the local community
     - Benefits were good (still OK, but cut back significantly)

Cons

- Lower compensation for talent developed internally vs. external hires (found out how low after I left)
     - Complicated politics and silos has left the company's momentum headed in the wrong direction
     - Culture has been very negatively affected in recent years - layoffs/restructuring has led to best talent leaving voluntarily
     - Regulatory environment and past management decisions have made new business development difficult
     - Short-sighted business goals. The private equity owners pushed to bring company public for several years, which put the focus on quarterly EBITDA at the expense of investing in the business
     - IT infrastructure is very outdated and has handicapped the company's nimbleness

The mid-level talent hasn't felt appreciated or empowered for some time (leading to talent bleeding). There are too many layers of bureaucracy and this slows down progress. If the organization was flatter and more collaborative you'd get better performance out of many individuals and departments. As one of the bigger players in the loyalty/benefit industry, you need to figure out how to encourage internal innovation. Morale and culture need to be rebuilt completely and that starts with the tone sent from the top. The company needs a clear vision to pursue and align around - there's lots of pet projects that never go anywhere and lots of pitches that die on the altar - people get excited when they can see their work live in the market.

Technical Specialist

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Affinion Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with some of the newer technology

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for career growth

God People Bad Company

Former Employee - Designer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Designer in Stamford, CT

I worked at Affinion Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, stable job, good location.

Cons

Company run by dinosaurs, executives keep all the bonuses, company not looking for the future, culture sucks, no perks.

This company needs new blood on the higher end

Very easy place to work

I have been working at Affinion Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly place to work with with good people. The drop off of new employees is very steep, but those that stick are good to work with. Easy to move from department to another department. Very good benefits for the pay grade. Very flexible schedules.

Cons

Upward mobility or promotion is almost non-existent, very limited opportunities. With most previous employers, it seemed easy to move up to additional responsibilities, but not at Affinion.

Quit using business metrics to punish employees. Align goals performance indicators with corporate goals.

IT Project Manager

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Dublin, OH

I worked at Affinion Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flextime, work from home, flexible schedule,

Cons

Career growth opportunities are limited, training is limited and travel expenses for such are used as an excuse

Provide career planing and opportunities to existing employees first before hiring, pay attention to employee feedback

Boring

I have been working at Affinion Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great if you live in CT and if you're in your late 20s and older

Cons

Bad management, layoffs, not much real work going on.
    If you are a recent college grad or approaching mid-twenties this is not the place for you.
    No opportunity for growth.

When I came here I was engaged and excited about my work but unfortunately the role declined. It seemed like even though I had many ideas and wanted to see certain projects come to life, it was apparently unrealistic. The ideas that I did contribute I never got credit for. I'm slowly losing passion for the industry because everything is too systematic and robotic here and not creative enough. If I were upper management I'd try to get more younger people to work for the company.

For a call center... JUST GREAT!

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Westerville, OH

I worked at Affinion Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great starting salary for bilinguals
    - Management was always there for me
    - Calls (customers) were pleasant enough
    - For the travel dept. the job was really easy.
    - They changed adherence so is based on how long you take your breaks and lunch instead of controlling what time you leave for each. Anyone who has worked in a call center will appreciate this.
    - Good bonus system.
    - Christmas parties
    - Employee appreciation activities and rewards.
    - They will reward you very well for overtime.

Cons

- Open 24/7 so you may not get most holidays
    - Chances are you won't like your schedule
    - They are very strict regarding occurrences.
    - Some times I felt like they don't pay much attention about the education and manners of some people they hire. (Fortunately most of the "bad elements" get fired or quit by the end of training.

I enjoyed my time in Affinion - Connexions Travel. I think my only advice will be to pay more attention to the information that agents receive. I had a very hard time booking hotels because even though they were available, it was impossible to book them. The description of hotels was mostly very poor, I think if someone takes that more seriously, more clients and employees will be very happy.

Affinion Group Photos