Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

Dave Larson

Great work culture, grossly underpaid

Current Employee - Member Advisor
    Current Employee - Member Advisor

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent coworkers and supportive environment. Everyone is willing to answer questions at any time, all while friendly. The majority of managers are willing to help. Great benefits package. You have the opportunity to learn a LOT about financial services if you are motivated and make an effort to take on more.

Cons

Hourly pay is terrible compared to the industry standard. Advisors that are only responsible for basic transactions get paid the same as advisors that originate, underwrite and close mortgages. Workload is extremely intense, and pressure to multitask can cause a decrease in productivity and quality of work. There is occasionally a lack of consistency across branches, which can complicate member interactions. The membership base is in high need of financial literacy opportunities, but many of the policies and programs in place perpetuate financial illiteracy. The new CEO is moving in the right direction though and I think some of these things may improve over the next few years.

Continue creating consistency across all branches and processes. Increase training for advisors that don't have a financial service background. Increase pay to retain an outstanding employee base.

Employee

Pros

Very good working culture
    Good coworker
    Good distance

Cons

Lack of management skills
    Low pay
    Lack of development

Great work expereince - crap Management!

Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

I like the culture of the Organization. Affinity Plus has great State Benefits - Phenominal!!!! The values of the Organization are also amazing! :D Makes me happy to work for the Oranization - to be a part of something greater!

Cons

Management is not trained well and pulled from hourly employees. Idealy a great idea if again they were trained better. I started as a temp and I basically taught myself everything I know.

Get a clue

A great place to build your banking acumen.

Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will never feel pressured to do something unethical.

Cons

You probably will make less than you're expecting.

You're on the right track. Hire more people across the board.

I enjoyed the work environment at Affinity Plus

Former Employee - Business Services Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Services Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at Affinity Plus are genuinely kind people who really care about their members and the work that they do. I was treated well and given a wide range of experiences at the company.

Cons

As an intern I did not feel that they really had a plan worked out for me. The program in the Minneapolis branch is new and unfortunately I did not feel that I was able to contribute as much as I would have liked.

Have set goals with the interns right off the bat.

An environment focused on helping people and allowing you to be an individual.

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture, a focus on helping people and putting them first, empowered to make your own decisions, awesome benefits, great work environment.

Cons

As a member advisor you wear many hats within the company and it can be a struggle to get things done.

Empowered workplace with great cultural values

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

APFCU was great in that it embraces the idea of truly empowering employees, which allowed for strong relationships to be made between the credit union members and its employees.

Cons

The workload at APFCU was constantly heavy due to rapid growth of member base and pay was below the industry average.

Hire more employees to accommodate company's growing member base

Entry Level Job

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Pros

The benefits were really good.

Cons

Since you are doing so many roles, the pay could be better.

Client support is great but management team not on same page

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at the credit union and making a difference in people's lives. The people in the branches are really great and so dedicated. We were really empowered to help people.

Cons

Upper management is really struggling, seems like everyone has a different message of what goal is important today - senior level managers not working together. Being empowered Is great for those that can handle it but no accountability and follow through keeps some people in positions way over there head.

Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every employee of Affinity Plus has the same level of ability to help members of the credit union. I had access and was encouraged to do as much for any member as the CEO. We were encouraged and supported in empowering and supporting members through major life events in ways that I haven't seen any financial institution do. We had time to build real relationships with people, and I felt good and right about what I did ALL THE TIME., which is so rare in jobs in the financial industry!

Plus, member advisors do everything from teller transactions, to car loans, to budgeting sessions, to every step of a mortgage (application, all underwriting, closing), to home purchases...working at Affinity Plus is as fantastic of an entry level job as it is a great job switch for financial industry career veterans. You'll learn, grow, and make people happier than they thought possible from a trip to the credit union.

Cons

The expectations and needs are definitely high for member advisors, because Affinity Plus has a lot of integrity and isn't all about teaching you what to do; the credit union is all about getting your unique skills to flourish and benefit your employees. It's the fastest growing credit union in the state and just keeps growing. So sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming at first, because you have A LOT to learn, and a lot of responsibility to go with that. But having patience and trusting yourself as a person will take you through the challenging times.