Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
3.1
Dave Larson

1. Always supported, lots of learning opportunities for self starters.

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great benefits, people, and culture.

Cons

Base compensation is lower than market.

Take serious stock of the value of retention in order to pay for and keep quality employees.

2. Just OK

Current Employee - Member Advisor

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay, no policy for anything, emotion lead organization, dysfunctional, awful training

I think all leaders should be on the phone at least 1 day taking the calls like us. Then they may understand what we deal with everyday. Follow up is horrible. Everyone is so worried about calls that we forget to be efficient since we are pressed to be on the phone. They should try having IRA to open, memberships to open, loans, and then still try to answer our min call which is based on our performance and then do their follow up as well. when we have 25 people waiting and have all these things to do there is no support. We are forced off the phone which will reflect our review.

3. Could be a great company "if"

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great and are great with customers

Cons

Complete lack of training, was told if I wanted to learn anything or be trained to find someone willing to show me. Basically stuck behind a computer and expected to know everything.

Come up with a training plan and use it, don't just throw a new hire out there to flounder and drown

5. Great work culture, grossly underpaid

Current Employee - Member Advisor

Pros

Excellent coworkers and supportive environment. Everyone is willing to answer questions at any time, all while friendly. The majority of managers are willing to help. Great benefits package. You have the opportunity to learn a LOT about financial services if you are motivated and make an effort to take on more.

Cons

Hourly pay is terrible compared to the industry standard. Advisors that are only responsible for basic transactions get paid the same as advisors that originate, underwrite and close mortgages. Workload is extremely intense, and pressure to multitask can cause a decrease in productivity and quality of work. There is occasionally a lack of consistency across branches, which can complicate member interactions. The membership base is in high need of financial literacy opportunities, but many of the policies and programs in place perpetuate financial illiteracy. The new CEO is moving in the right direction though and I think some of these things may improve over the next few years.

Continue creating consistency across all branches and processes. Increase training for advisors that don't have a financial service background. Increase pay to retain an outstanding employee base.

6. Employee

Pros

Very good working culture
    Good coworker
    Good distance

Cons

Lack of management skills
    Low pay
    Lack of development

7. Great work expereince - crap Management!

Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lien Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

I like the culture of the Organization. Affinity Plus has great State Benefits - Phenominal!!!! The values of the Organization are also amazing! :D Makes me happy to work for the Oranization - to be a part of something greater!

Cons

Management is not trained well and pulled from hourly employees. Idealy a great idea if again they were trained better. I started as a temp and I basically taught myself everything I know.

Get a clue

8. A great place to build your banking acumen.

Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Member Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will never feel pressured to do something unethical.

Cons

You probably will make less than you're expecting.

You're on the right track. Hire more people across the board.

9. I enjoyed the work environment at Affinity Plus

Former Intern - Business Services Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Intern - Business Services Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people at Affinity Plus are genuinely kind people who really care about their members and the work that they do. I was treated well and given a wide range of experiences at the company.

Cons

As an intern I did not feel that they really had a plan worked out for me. The program in the Minneapolis branch is new and unfortunately I did not feel that I was able to contribute as much as I would have liked.

Have set goals with the interns right off the bat.

An environment focused on helping people and allowing you to be an individual.

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, a focus on helping people and putting them first, empowered to make your own decisions, awesome benefits, great work environment.

Cons

As a member advisor you wear many hats within the company and it can be a struggle to get things done.

11. Empowered workplace with great cultural values

Former Intern - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Intern - Member Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

APFCU was great in that it embraces the idea of truly empowering employees, which allowed for strong relationships to be made between the credit union members and its employees.

Cons

The workload at APFCU was constantly heavy due to rapid growth of member base and pay was below the industry average.

Hire more employees to accommodate company's growing member base