Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Larson

Great work expereince - crap Management!

Lien Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsI like the culture of the Organization. Affinity Plus has great State Benefits - Phenominal!!!! The values of the Organization are also amazing! :D Makes me happy to work for the Oranization - to be a part of something greater!

ConsManagement is not trained well and pulled from hourly employees. Idealy a great idea if again they were trained better. I started as a temp and I basically taught myself everything I know.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

A great place to build your banking acumen.

Member Advisor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou will never feel pressured to do something unethical.

ConsYou probably will make less than you're expecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're on the right track. Hire more people across the board.

I enjoyed the work environment at Affinity Plus

Business Services Intern (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people at Affinity Plus are genuinely kind people who really care about their members and the work that they do. I was treated well and given a wide range of experiences at the company.

ConsAs an intern I did not feel that they really had a plan worked out for me. The program in the Minneapolis branch is new and unfortunately I did not feel that I was able to contribute as much as I would have liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave set goals with the interns right off the bat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An environment focused on helping people and allowing you to be an individual.

Member Advisor (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsAmazing culture, a focus on helping people and putting them first, empowered to make your own decisions, awesome benefits, great work environment.

ConsAs a member advisor you wear many hats within the company and it can be a struggle to get things done.

Empowered workplace with great cultural values

Member Advisor (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsAPFCU was great in that it embraces the idea of truly empowering employees, which allowed for strong relationships to be made between the credit union members and its employees.

ConsThe workload at APFCU was constantly heavy due to rapid growth of member base and pay was below the industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees to accommodate company's growing member base

Entry Level Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were really good.

ConsSince you are doing so many roles, the pay could be better.

Client support is great but management team not on same page

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsI really enjoyed working at the credit union and making a difference in people's lives. The people in the branches are really great and so dedicated. We were really empowered to help people.

ConsUpper management is really struggling, seems like everyone has a different message of what goal is important today - senior level managers not working together. Being empowered Is great for those that can handle it but no accountability and follow through keeps some people in positions way over there head.

Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences

Member Advisor (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsEvery employee of Affinity Plus has the same level of ability to help members of the credit union. I had access and was encouraged to do as much for any member as the CEO. We were encouraged and supported in empowering and supporting members through major life events in ways that I haven't seen any financial institution do. We had time to build real relationships with people, and I felt good and right about what I did ALL THE TIME., which is so rare in jobs in the financial industry!

Plus, member advisors do everything from teller transactions, to car loans, to budgeting sessions, to every step of a mortgage (application, all underwriting, closing), to home purchases...working at Affinity Plus is as fantastic of an entry level job as it is a great job switch for financial industry career veterans. You'll learn, grow, and make people happier than they thought possible from a trip to the credit union.

ConsThe expectations and needs are definitely high for member advisors, because Affinity Plus has a lot of integrity and isn't all about teaching you what to do; the credit union is all about getting your unique skills to flourish and benefit your employees. It's the fastest growing credit union in the state and just keeps growing. So sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming at first, because you have A LOT to learn, and a lot of responsibility to go with that. But having patience and trusting yourself as a person will take you through the challenging times.

work you to death and force you to smile the whole time

Member Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers were great. Health benefits were nice.

Conseveryone that writes a positive review you will note still works there and speaks in Affinity Plus Cult language. They treat staff horribly, pay them way below market rates, and don't train at all. Complain and you are out. I have seen termination letters for multiple people and they are copies of each other word for word. They make you feel like you are doing good for people but, when you see how they are failing to get basic things right you understand that the person behind the curtain has no idea what is going on. One of the best days of my life when I left. I have had members find me at my new job and they appreciated my work for them and were shocked that I was gone but, they all said that they felt something wasn't right with how hard they worked people at the branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are understaffed to an extreme! I watched multiple people leave long unending lines all day. I continue to work in the mortgage industry and I have talked to multiple Realtors that are coaching their customers to avoid Affinity Plus, even if they have a good deal.

You may have thought you found your dream job....think again.

Member Advisor (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

ProsGreat benefits...you don't pay anything for medical coverage....State of Minnesota benefits... most of the employees were great to work with....

ConsManagement, and people that had been there for years took the credit for everything...nobody listened when they were told that people were waiting too long....on the phones, in line...Revolving door....they can't keep their staff, everyone leaves within a year.

Worked for Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!