Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dave Larson

A great place to build your banking acumen.

Member Advisor (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou will never feel pressured to do something unethical.

ConsYou probably will make less than you're expecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're on the right track. Hire more people across the board.

I enjoyed the work environment at Affinity Plus

Business Services Intern (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people at Affinity Plus are genuinely kind people who really care about their members and the work that they do. I was treated well and given a wide range of experiences at the company.

ConsAs an intern I did not feel that they really had a plan worked out for me. The program in the Minneapolis branch is new and unfortunately I did not feel that I was able to contribute as much as I would have liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave set goals with the interns right off the bat.

An environment focused on helping people and allowing you to be an individual.

Saint Paul, MN

ProsAmazing culture, a focus on helping people and putting them first, empowered to make your own decisions, awesome benefits, great work environment.

ConsAs a member advisor you wear many hats within the company and it can be a struggle to get things done.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empowered workplace with great cultural values

Saint Paul, MN

ProsAPFCU was great in that it embraces the idea of truly empowering employees, which allowed for strong relationships to be made between the credit union members and its employees.

ConsThe workload at APFCU was constantly heavy due to rapid growth of member base and pay was below the industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees to accommodate company's growing member base

Entry Level Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were really good.

ConsSince you are doing so many roles, the pay could be better.

Client support is great but management team not on same page

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
    Saint Paul, MN

ProsI really enjoyed working at the credit union and making a difference in people's lives. The people in the branches are really great and so dedicated. We were really empowered to help people.

ConsUpper management is really struggling, seems like everyone has a different message of what goal is important today - senior level managers not working together. Being empowered Is great for those that can handle it but no accountability and follow through keeps some people in positions way over there head.

work you to death and force you to smile the whole time

Member Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers were great. Health benefits were nice.

Conseveryone that writes a positive review you will note still works there and speaks in Affinity Plus Cult language. They treat staff horribly, pay them way below market rates, and don't train at all. Complain and you are out. I have seen termination letters for multiple people and they are copies of each other word for word. They make you feel like you are doing good for people but, when you see how they are failing to get basic things right you understand that the person behind the curtain has no idea what is going on. One of the best days of my life when I left. I have had members find me at my new job and they appreciated my work for them and were shocked that I was gone but, they all said that they felt something wasn't right with how hard they worked people at the branch.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are understaffed to an extreme! I watched multiple people leave long unending lines all day. I continue to work in the mortgage industry and I have talked to multiple Realtors that are coaching their customers to avoid Affinity Plus, even if they have a good deal.

Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences

Roseville, MN

ProsEvery employee of Affinity Plus has the same level of ability to help members of the credit union. I had access and was encouraged to do as much for any member as the CEO. We were encouraged and supported in empowering and supporting members through major life events in ways that I haven't seen any financial institution do. We had time to build real relationships with people, and I felt good and right about what I did ALL THE TIME., which is so rare in jobs in the financial industry!

Plus, member advisors do everything from teller transactions, to car loans, to budgeting sessions, to every step of a mortgage (application, all underwriting, closing), to home purchases...working at Affinity Plus is as fantastic of an entry level job as it is a great job switch for financial industry career veterans. You'll learn, grow, and make people happier than they thought possible from a trip to the credit union.

ConsThe expectations and needs are definitely high for member advisors, because Affinity Plus has a lot of integrity and isn't all about teaching you what to do; the credit union is all about getting your unique skills to flourish and benefit your employees. It's the fastest growing credit union in the state and just keeps growing. So sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming at first, because you have A LOT to learn, and a lot of responsibility to go with that. But having patience and trusting yourself as a person will take you through the challenging times.

You may have thought you found your dream job....think again.

Saint Cloud, MN

ProsGreat benefits...you don't pay anything for medical coverage....State of Minnesota benefits... most of the employees were great to work with....

ConsManagement, and people that had been there for years took the credit for everything...nobody listened when they were told that people were waiting too long....on the phones, in line...Revolving door....they can't keep their staff, everyone leaves within a year.

It is a cult!

Grand Rapids, MN

ProsExcellent benefits- on the job training as in you learned on the job by yourself, their computer system makes doing consumer loans so easy anyone can to the paperwork with no training.

ConsVerbal abuse, little to no training, management that didn't know how to execute only how to push the cult-ure. You are a renewable resource and they will find another person to replace you.
    One of the managers gets off on making staff cry during your monthly reviews, this manager has been picking on staff for years and once you are on the bottom it is only a matter of time until you will be pushed out the door. Senior management doesn't want an employee they want you to put the member ahead of yourself, your family, God and anything else you hold sacred - they want your soul. And forget having healthy boundaries, you can never say no to a member or management they expect you to drop everything to help someone anytime, even when the credit union is almost closed. There is nothing sacred. I say it is a cult because their motto became MOE, member, organization, employee. Do whatever you need to for the member without regard for your health, physically and mentally or your family. When we would have rally sections in St Paul, do you think they actually taught you how to do your job? Of course not! It was a rally session on focusing on the member and changing yourself so you could be selfless for them all the time. It was unrealistic, everyone that works there acts happy all the time because you have to, but that are miserable inside. If they aren't they probably have been there less than a year, maybe even 6 months!
    Imagine sitting at your desk, you have 10-15 mortgages to process, but you are a teller, a consumer loan officer, and answering the phones. You have a desk because you have been there a long time, but it is so incredibly busy that the 3 "tellers" at the window are opening a new account, doing a car loan or mortgage and answering the phones and the lobby gets filled, a few people at first, then 5 then 10, they come into your office because you don't have anyone in front of you but they know you have a cash drawer. Since you can never say no to these people, it is a revolving door to help them and the 10 or more mortgages take 60 or more days to process because you can't get back to the paperwork. If this was just on Fridays or something it would be manageable but the constant anxiety from the hollow promises you've told people start to wear on you. I started to add days and weeks to when I thought I could get their loans done because I had ZERO control over my work day. Since I have left I have heard of mistakes getting worse, car titles lost, mortgages not getting recorded. Unfortunately that has been happening for 10 years because you don't have the time or energy to do all that is expected in every process. The philosophy of doing what is right for the customer is right on IF you can hire AND maintain the staff who are able to do that. However when many member advisors think that saying yes to every whim and fancy for people that don't qualify for a loan is ok, you have a house of cards of bad loans, needy demanding members who want more and more.

Worked for Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union CEO Dave Larson . All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union employees.