Affirmative Insurance

Updated Feb 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary Y. Kusumi

Good place for college grads

Support (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLearned a lot, being directly out of college

ConsPay was not great; no room to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your rock-star employees

OK, but that's about it

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay was decent and the benefits were good. My manager and coworkers were nice, and they relied on me for ideas.

ConsUpper management did not seem to have a plan or know where to go with the company. The work was unsatisfying. My days were long and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about the industry. Hire managers with some ideas and maybe, just maybe, a little polish.

Ugh...

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe office I worked in was nice because you had a lot of space to use. I had my own desk and another rear office to use and so did my coworker. Some of the customers and coworkers were good.

ConsWant you to sell things without paying commission for it. High employee turnover. Pay plan is weak. If you actually have any insurance knowledge or experience your supervisor will know less about insurance than you. They like to try and make you wear stickers on your clothes too so you look like a gas station attendant advertising the 2 for 99 cent hot dogs on sale. That one was my favorite. My boss actually walked into the building while I was in the middle of an insurance sale and told me to put a sticker of a turkey on my shirt. Really?

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide if you want to sell cheap car warranties, do taxes, and sell pre-paid debit cards or if you want to be an insurance agency. Get managers that know what is going on. Too many of them have no idea how to run an insurance agency. They know how to fill out spreadsheets, act ignorant, complain about being required to drive to your office, and hide in back rooms all day avoiding employee and customer contact at all cost.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seems to be growing and good time to get on

Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsCompany match 401K starting, good benefits, good coworkers and managers, laid back atmostphere and dress code

Conswork load is a little intense

Advice to Senior Managementtrain new employees a little better

Terrible

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsPretty good pay and benefits. The company now offers a good 401k match.

ConsIn my experience there was little to no training from my direct supervisor. Expect to work 50+ hours per week every week if you land a job in accounting/finance. There was a lack of structure and organization. After 6 months I still didn't have much if anything to do but was expected to stay late every day in case something came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CFO should allow his direct reports the time to train their employees properly. In addition, the CEO could make an appearance every once in a while. Even though he was in the office 3 days or so per week I saw him once in the 6 months I worked there.

Great coworkers; not so great managers!!

Manager (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsCentrally located; beach casual work attire; competitive benefits.

ConsNo 401k match; raises every couple of years due to low production and high claims.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a management team that knows the business and knows how to run a company.

Find your friends, keep them close & pick up smoking if your boss/supervisor does.

Accounting Associate (Former Employee)
    Addison, TX

ProsThe team members were great, for the most part -- the ones that weren't were generally weeded out without too much effort; Management was flexible and understanding at times; Casual attire; Full hour lunch breaks; Benefits: FSAs, health plans, STD & LTD. In my role, there were a vast variety of job duties/cross-training. If you're willing to learn and take on extra roles, you manage to acquire SOME job security.

ConsThat security I mentioned? It's more artificial when it comes down to it. They just let you FEEL indispensable. Reality is, they will find a replacement and not think twice should it come to that. If you aren't buddy-buddy with your supervisor, you're in a dangerous position. If you challenge your boss, get mouthy or they just flat out dislike you, your days are numbered. So it pays to play nice with the boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management changes every 6 months -- we used to call them rats leaping from a sinking ship. The rest of us just kept our heads down and hoped we weren't part of the most recent layoffs. RE-EXAMINE YOUR CORPORATE CULTURE. Your employees feel overworked and underappreciated -- because they are. Oh and stop treating CSRs/Underwriters like kindergartners. Let them pee when they need to, not when you say it's ok. Guess what? Sometimes an employee needs to take more than a 4 minute break to the restroom or to take an emergency call. Treat them like the mothers, husbands, parents, caretakers to family members that they all are. And maybe a raise that actually MEANS something every once in a while.

Ups and Downs

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood opportunities for "go-getters". Sometimes it seems like the company is headed in the right direction. Some of the internal teams are well run and work well together. Recovering from a low point. Can be a great place to get experience.

ConsGeneral lack of strategic vision. No concise mission or goals. Lack of unified leadership at the highest level has led to bad/inconsistent decisions and direction and put the company into a very bad situation. There are several separate "silos" of the business, and each is out for themselves, not for the company. MANY missed opportunities on a corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet together and come up with a plan. Decide that the company will be successful, and create a vision that the employees can get behind and believe in. Stop modeling after other companies and working against competitors and start being the best Affirmative you can be. Improve the culture through better teamwork FOR EVERYONE. Stop waffling on hard decisions. It is easier for people to deal with decisions they don't like than to sit on the edge of their seat waiting to see what the decision will be.

Great employees, unfortunately slow growth

ProsBenefits are actually somewhat competitive for a company that's not doing so well
    Very down to earth and casual work setting
    Located in a great city

ConsLow salaries and no 401k matching due to low production and losses in past few years

Advice to Senior ManagementConsolidate!! Too many different entities to be able to make consistent applications across all of them....more of a holding company than an insurance company

So far so good this company seems to be an ideal employer and have yet to show me any reason not to believe otherwise.

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
    Opelousas, LA

ProsAbove average salary, company contributes to benefits.

ConsHold employees to an unachievable efficiency goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementMandate company include time for additional training and office maintenance ie janitorial, bookkeeping, and marketing via scheduling.

Worked for Affirmative Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Affirmative Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Affirmative Insurance CEO Gary Y. Kusumi. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Affirmative Insurance employees.