Affymetrix

Updated October 30, 2014
3.5

Affymetrix President & CEO Frank Whitney
Frank Whitney

Pros
  • Affy provides good work life balance and the people are great to work with (in 6 reviews)

• I get to work with a lot of smart people, they provide good benefits and the salary is competitive (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad and ineffective Senior Management (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management needed a refresh (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for, even when the company was going through it's growing pains.

Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Library Technical Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are always ways to proof yourself. Individual Managers are great in parsing out workloads.

Cons

Like any other company, have to make the most of a roller-coaster economy, which means being lean and mean.

Listen to your employees more, they do make a difference.

Oct 31, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Here at Affy we feel that it's very valuable to be able to hear from our employees. It's nice to see that employees are able to voice their opinions here on Glassdoor. This will allow us to better ... More

Very rewarding!

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my opinion, the employees and the leaders.

Cons

Nothing, everything seems to be very fair.

Oct 29, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

We would not be where we are today without the help of our dedicated employees. Thanks for taking the time to post a comment on our profile page.

Great place to work, and help make a better world!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been an Affy employee for 4 years, and am happy to be part of a company that is making a difference in the world in so many ways. I enjoy being with my friendly, down-to-earth, hard-working and very smart co-workers. Our CEO, Frank Witney, has done an amazing job of turning around the company; and he's also a genuine, caring, and extremely conscientious leader. There is a lot of opportunity ahead for Affymetrix, and for employees who are willing to make the extra effort.

Cons

Affymetrix went through some hard times, and is making huge progress. Sometimes, employees need just a little more patience, and realize that we still have to keep watching the bottom line. Like every company I've ever worked in, we need to keep focusing on simplifying processes, and finding ways to keep the workload manageable while getting the best productivity we can.

Keep communicating openly -- even if there is unpleasant news. Keep caring -- it shows that you are now better aligned and working together to help the company succeed.

Oct 9, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that you are having a positive experience here at Affymetrix.

Company is okay - some growth in maturity required.

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology. Leadership wants to regain the company's proper place in the market. Compensation is fair - probably the industry average. Weak areas identified and efforts are appropriately placed.

Cons

While the top leadership is capable, some of the middle level management engages in distracting politics and silo fights. If they got behind one another and supported other groups' efforts, it would be a much better place.

Spend more time in attention to employees. Keep them happy and they will deliver on the loads of work you've burdened them with.

Nov 4, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Your opinion matters to us. Thank you for your review.

A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Affy provides good work life balance and the people are great to work with. The company is helping employees better understand how we are making a difference in the world. Hence "Biology for a better world".

Cons

Not all of us are technical. So sometimes the presentations that are shown during the town hall are complex and hard to understand.

Simplify the presentations that you show. Not all of us are scientist, but we all are interested in what you have to say.

Oct 2, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thank you for your review and feedback. The leadership team is continuously working on ensuring that our message is understood across our employee base. As an alumni, it's great to see that you are ... More

I enjoy coming to work every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Affy allows us to understand what we do and why we do it. I get to work with a lot of smart people, they provide good benefits and the salary is competitive. The culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas of the company.

Cons

Processes can some time be too lengthy and there may be more meetings than what is really required.

Continue to help employees understand how they are contributing to the big picture.

Oct 9, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. It's great to have your comments in mind as we continue to improve the experience for employees here at Affymetrix. Thank you!

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of Learning, flexible management, no nonsense place

Cons

Usual Management politics
    Need to come up with new products

Oct 2, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

I'm glad that you are able to grow in your learning. Affy takes pride in our training and development and we hope to provide additional tools to enhance your growth even further. We will also ... More

A good, but too-short experience

Former Employee - Web Publisher in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Web Publisher in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good money for a contract gig, good people to work with, lots of freedom to improve things, within limits. I'd recommend it.

Cons

The usual corporate nonsense, unrealistic deadlines, lousy content, no respect for worker bees on the part of senior management, no money to make things actually good, just "good enough," which was almost never good.

Lose the skin-flintyness, spend the money to keep people from extreme burnout, be realistic, abandon the agile/scrum development concept.

Oct 2, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write this review. The leadership team will find your comments helpful to better improve Affy.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great benefits

Cons

Less of work-life balance, worked weekends when deadlines due

Keep being supportive

Oct 2, 2014Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thank you for being supportive as well.

Documentation Project Contractor

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working on the genomics research cutting edge. I was a vital contributing member of the GUI development team for the Exon Array Computational Tool (ExACT) for analysis project-enhancement by a specific audience of Ph.D. genetics and bioinformatics research biologists. The hourly rate paid as a contractor was however a career zenith for me. Employees paid $3 for $8-12 because lunches of the very shady Oakland border location (I was warned to not allow my vehicle to remain in the employee lot after dark.)

Cons

I worked for an acquired company satellite division in Emeryville underpowered from the Santa Clara headquarters where preapprovals were required before proceeding, and where Scientific Technical Writers and other personnel were uncooperative. Affymetrix has a strict policy of an undergraduate microbiology degree at least to become a Scientific Technical Writer so despite my Master's degree in another area & 20+ years of experience promises to the contrary of being brought on permanently went unfulfilled.

Narrow the pyramid of Directors, VPs, and upper management in general.