Affymetrix
www.affymetrix.com Santa Clara, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Affymetrix Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014
Affymetrix – “Thank you! We appreciate you sharing your…”

Affymetrix President & CEO Frank Whitney

Frank Whitney

A company run by management who are waiting for severance pay

Singapore (Singapore)

Prosthey have quaterly sharing in singapore to show how bad they are doing

ConsVery poor training program for new hire, most of the boss do not train their new hire as they themselves do not know their job well
    Worst system I ever encountered in my working life. The qualty dept like to implement alot of system and go live whether or not they are working well. quality directors are not even doing anything to solve these issues.
    Rude employees from Material dept. Most of the employee from Material dept are very rude and thy like to verbal abuse others however their boss is doing nothing about it. Even you complain about it, they will still ignore you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company should be employee oriented not management oriented.

Advice to those who intend to join to stay away or find another company

Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe only reason you would stay is unless you are a bootlicker to the management otherwise no

ConsThe Singapore Site has no quality mindset. Things get push through and even it it wrong yet it is approved, and when things happen the subordinate get the blame.The Quality director have very poor knowledge and never review things thorougly. So many customer complaints and yet no root cause identified.
    The Materials department is worst with the material directors having no clue to what other department requirements. They only care about their only KPI, other department is none of their business. Also, is a pain trying to read their horrible email with poor sentence structure and grammatical errors and broken english.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest the upper management to send your Singapore directors to basic english conversational and writing lesson and urge them to improve their english language. It is a disgrace for someone to run a company with these type of attributes and language skills.

VPs and Directors know nothing about their own job scope

Singapore (Singapore)

Prosis there even any pros to begin with?

ConsThe directors and VP expecially those from singapore have no idea about their own job requirements. always asking alot of silly questions and suggest non-productive processes. HR benefits in singapore are poor and lousy and HR are the laziest I have ever encountered. Turnover rate is high as I have seen many coming in and leave within 1 week or even days. Building has food smell and transport provided is so cramped with people having to stand.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have retrenched those who are not capable in their work instead of leeching of company and wasting resources

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Employee Benefits

Singapore (Singapore)

ProsHave no idea where to start

Consvery poor training program
    expect employee to clock in and out even for those executive position
    comapny transport provided is worst, you are lucky you get a seat or else you have to stand through out the journey
    no defined job scope as employee have to do more that what is in their job scope however no increment or assistant even when you ask and if you dont, your boss will show you the door

Global family moving in the right direction

Affymetrix Sales (Current Employee)

ProsAs a sales rep the hands off management style let's me work like I have my own business. I make my own schedule, target accounts and hit my number. I sell products that are changing how medical decisions are made-directly improving the life of patients. That's job satisfaction. It's not all about the money.
    Affy is a small global company competing with much larger companies. As such, I interact with people all over the world on a daily basis. Even though we have hundred of employees, the CEO, VP, Software Engineers, Product Managers, Sales Reps, and Support staff know me and I know them. We really are like a giant family. Some cousins you hate, but most everyone you love.

ConsOver the past couple of years, the management team has been tasked with righting a listing ship and getting it back up and powering through the waters. This meant they had to streamline and focus on what is most important. This meant letting go of some talented people, but also some fat. Those of us left are doing more with less, but doing it much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the goal to keep moving forward and keeping it lean. More upper management is NOT the answer. Put resources into R&D.

Outdated technology

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNeed to find out if there is any I am sure it will take years to find out

ConsOutdated product lines with zero or no investment on new products and R&D. Management is not smart enough to draw vision and roadmap for company. More on experimental mode, trying to survive in market. Growth numbers are created by cutting the resources and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce new products and don't just dependent on old technology.

Good place

Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe people and benefits are good.

ConsThe company needs to consistently deliver on financial goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate

Executive Administrative Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing people, forward thinking company, great product.

ConsWhen I was employed at Affy there were some mind bending politics going on with Sr. staff.

Not good

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsClose to home and OK working schedule

ConsManager depent on employees too much, they have no scientific knowledges

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management level from manager to Senior Director

OK to work at.

Santa Clara, CA

ProsAffymetrix facilitates employee work environment by being flexible, providing breakfast, lunch and fitness contribution.

ConsStrong leadership with clear direction, low new product pipeline and employee growth

Worked for Affymetrix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Affymetrix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Affymetrix CEO Frank Whitney. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Affymetrix employees.