Affymetrix Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Vaired, challenging but hugely rewarding

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time

Pros

The people and our customers and the difference we are making to biology around the world. The work is varied and teh comapny size means you can influence decision and be visible to senior management. The people are hugely dedicated and their is a great team spirit.

Cons

There have been some challenges but the company has come through most off these. As a smaller comapny sometimes resources are constrained.

Advice to Management

Continue to be engaged with the employees and continue the greater communication and involvement that has been going on in the last two or three years.

Apr 23, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Great feedback, thank you!

Great people, great company

Pros

Great company culture and people working at Affymetrix. There is a good energy and drive to succeed across the company, and a passion for enabling our customers. Top quality and innovative products. It is great to see the company stabilized and consistently growing across the business!

Cons

Increased collaboration/communication between marketing groups would drive more cohesive directions and perhaps reduce duplication of efforts. Many strides have been made to address this in the last couple of years, and it has improved over time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Affymetrix has come a long way, and our senior leadership has been instrumental in building the company's success. We need to retain our talent and experience to continue to drive our success.

Apr 28, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Thank you! I agree, we have come a long way, and it's an exciting time to be part of Affymetrix!

One of the best companies I have ever worked for :)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Since Affy is a midsize company there is a lot of opportunity to learn and grow within the company. Colleges are very helpful and extremely friendly. Even the senior leadership is very approachable unlike other big companies. Employees are recognized for their work. I have been with the company for 4 yrs. and have no plans of leaving anytime soon.

Cons

It's a small company so one side you get to learn a lot but the only problem is when an employee leaves it really impacts as we have limited resources and along with that the subject matter knowledge also is gone with that employee and due to lack of documentation sometimes it's a challenge to keep systems running.

Apr 22, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Happy to read this positive review! Keep up the good work! Yes, sometimes resources might be limited but it sounds like you work with a strong team that helps one another. Thank you for taking the ... More

Exciting time to see the company re-generate itself and come to life-- a great opportunity to make a difference!

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Considerate, extremely dedicated, down-to-Earth and brilliant co-workers

Cons

Sometimes it feels like Affymetrix doesn't get the recognition it deserves... but we're getting there.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing the past 1-2 years.

Apr 6, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Great, thank you for your positive response!

6. Affymetrix has done an excellent job of turning itself around!

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is great. The people are engaged, bright, curious , and fun to work with. Even though Affymetrix is a medium-sized company, the opportunities for career growth and development are plentiful.

Cons

There are a lot of highly motivated employees and a lot of work to get done; therefore, sometimes enough time isn't spent on simplifying processes, leading to lots of time spent on unnecessary tasks.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Keep your employees engaged and motivated by asking for their feedback and following through on action items.

Research associate

I have been working at Affymetrix (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, exciting projects, good working environment

Cons

Below market base salary. Hard to move up. Don't see room to grow

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees hard work with better base salary

Apr 23, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Thank you for your review. Have you talked with your manager or HR Business partner about your career growth? Often times, there are opportunities outside of a promotion that will help to build ... More

8. Great company with a great turnaround story

Pros

Great executive leadership team who is leading the company towards sustained growth and positive outlook. Great, smart employees. Stock price has grown 30% since calendar year-end 2014.

Cons

The company went through tougher times up until 2013, but has definitely recovered.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue the cadence of accountability and onward to a great Phase III of the strategic transformation.

Apr 8, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

We are very excited about this phase in our turnaround; thank you for all of your hard work in helping to make this happen!

9. Great place to work!!

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Affymetrix has a very dedicated Executive team who value work/life balance and career opportunities for its employees. I have been here for almost eight years and have experienced the roller coaster ride and I finally feel like it has stabilized and I am proude to be a part of this great company.

Cons

Please bring back the Friday donuts/bagels.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Apr 8, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

We are happy that you are an Affymetrix employee, thank you for your positive outlook!

10. Decent, not great

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment, decent benefits. There are some great managers at this company! The upper levels not so much. There are some good aspects with regards to work/life balance.

Cons

Upper management needs to recognize workers more. Poor base salary. Does not listen to the workers very well and very slow growth and development in terms of upward movement. Sometimes they push too much for a dollar sign.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers and a simple thank you rather than viewing your workers as the bottom line would help. Upper management needs work and should reach out to your base employees once in a while.

Apr 6, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

Thank you for your feedback. The Senior Leadership team reviews this on a quarterly basis, and we really appreciate your honesty.

After 14 years they laid me off.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Good work life family balance.

Cons

BAD management no other excuse.

Advice to Management

Get real, stop trying to do everything

Apr 6, 2015 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition and HRBP

We really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

RSS Feed </> Embed