Affymetrix Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Company is okay - some growth in maturity required.

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good technology. Leadership wants to regain the company's proper place in the market. Compensation is fair - probably the industry average. Weak areas identified and efforts are appropriately placed.

Cons

While the top leadership is capable, some of the middle level management engages in distracting politics and silo fights. If they got behind one another and supported other groups' efforts, it would be a much better place.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in attention to employees. Keep them happy and they will deliver on the loads of work you've burdened them with.

Nov 4, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Your opinion matters to us. Thank you for your review.

2. Very rewarding!

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my opinion, the employees and the leaders.

Cons

Nothing, everything seems to be very fair.

Oct 29, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

We would not be where we are today without the help of our dedicated employees. Thanks for taking the time to post a comment on our profile page.

3. Great place to work, and help make a better world!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been an Affy employee for 4 years, and am happy to be part of a company that is making a difference in the world in so many ways. I enjoy being with my friendly, down-to-earth, hard-working and very smart co-workers. Our CEO, Frank Witney, has done an amazing job of turning around the company; and he's also a genuine, caring, and extremely conscientious leader. There is a lot of opportunity ahead for Affymetrix, and for employees who are willing to make the extra effort.

Cons

Affymetrix went through some hard times, and is making huge progress. Sometimes, employees need just a little more patience, and realize that we still have to keep watching the bottom line. Like every company I've ever worked in, we need to keep focusing on simplifying processes, and finding ways to keep the workload manageable while getting the best productivity we can.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating openly -- even if there is unpleasant news. Keep caring -- it shows that you are now better aligned and working together to help the company succeed.

Oct 9, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that you are having a positive experience here at Affymetrix.

5. A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Affy provides good work life balance and the people are great to work with. The company is helping employees better understand how we are making a difference in the world. Hence "Biology for a better world".

Cons

Not all of us are technical. So sometimes the presentations that are shown during the town hall are complex and hard to understand.

Advice to Management

Simplify the presentations that you show. Not all of us are scientist, but we all are interested in what you have to say.

Oct 2, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thank you for your review and feedback. The leadership team is continuously working on ensuring that our message is understood across our employee base. As an alumni, it's great to see that you are ... More

6. I enjoy coming to work every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Affy allows us to understand what we do and why we do it. I get to work with a lot of smart people, they provide good benefits and the salary is competitive. The culture here is very collaborative and offers opportunities in all different areas of the company.

Cons

Processes can some time be too lengthy and there may be more meetings than what is really required.

Advice to Management

Continue to help employees understand how they are contributing to the big picture.

Oct 9, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. It's great to have your comments in mind as we continue to improve the experience for employees here at Affymetrix. Thank you!

7. Good Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of Learning, flexible management, no nonsense place

Cons

Usual Management politics Need to come up with new products

Oct 2, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

I'm glad that you are able to grow in your learning. Affy takes pride in our training and development and we hope to provide additional tools to enhance your growth even further. We will also ... More

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, great benefits

Cons

Less of work-life balance, worked weekends when deadlines due

Advice to Management

Keep being supportive

Oct 2, 2014 – Mgr, Global Staffing & HRBP

Thank you for being supportive as well.

9. Humbling with great work ethic, energy, and enthusiasm coming from the current employees.

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time

Pros

The ideal first job coming right out of college. Great mentors and managers that are willing to help guide you to your career path if you are willing to put in the effort to develop yourself. Work-life balance is heavily encouraged and promoted through PTO and Affy holidays. Subsidized lunch program allows for convenience and comfort at a cost-saving price. The diversified product portfolio shows evidence that the company is willing to take necessary risks to attain long-term profitability.

Cons

Like with other major companies, politics get involved in some of the business decisions, which sometimes lead to the wrong decision, costing the company money and time to fix it. Retention and being able to promote high performing individual contributors to managerial positions. Lots of good talent lost by not being able to promote them.

Advice to Management

Be flexible and have an open-mind in regards to business decisions, so that the proper decision can be made. Find issues on why the company isn't able to expand and address it so that good talent is not lost due to them not being able to get promoted.

10. Global family moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Affymetrix Sales
    Current Employee - Affymetrix Sales

I have been working at Affymetrix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a sales rep the hands off management style let's me work like I have my own business. I make my own schedule, target accounts and hit my number. I sell products that are changing how medical decisions are made-directly improving the life of patients. That's job satisfaction. It's not all about the money. Affy is a small global company competing with much larger companies. As such, I interact with people all over the world on a daily basis. Even though we have hundred of employees, the CEO, VP, Software Engineers, Product Managers, Sales Reps, and Support staff know me and I know them. We really are like a giant family. Some cousins you hate, but most everyone you love.

Cons

Over the past couple of years, the management team has been tasked with righting a listing ship and getting it back up and powering through the waters. This meant they had to streamline and focus on what is most important. This meant letting go of some talented people, but also some fat. Those of us left are doing more with less, but doing it much better.

Advice to Management

Remember the goal to keep moving forward and keeping it lean. More upper management is NOT the answer. Put resources into R&D.

11. Good place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Affymetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and benefits are good.

Cons

The company needs to consistently deliver on financial goals.

Advice to Management

Innovate

RSS Feed </> Embed