Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros:
  • "The Aflac name and they way they pay their claims"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Unlimited income potential with the proper amount of work"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "No base salary for interns and it would be very difficult to start in this company because no one would help you"
    in 19 reviews
  • "As a sales associate (Agent) you are a full commission/1099 employee with no benefits"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Training

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than a year

ProsTop-notch training techniques will give you the knowledge and tools you need to succeed! The coordinators want to see you do well because the better you do, the better they do. As a new agent, there are so many opportunities to win awards and hit certain "benchmarks". And then there are always the trips you can qualify for which are awesome!!!

ConsNeed to have the ability to be a self-starter

The work is very rewarding but, challenging.

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsThe district coordinator is very knowledgeable and is willing to help new agents build their business the right way. The team of agents also are willing to help each other and everyone celebrates each other`s successes.

ConsCompetition...which is a pro. Everyone seems to have a vested interest in each other`s performance. We all push each other to be successful.

I enjoy being an Aflac agent.

Independent Agent Representing Aflac (Sales) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really like the flexibility of being able to make my own schedule. I have children, and it's nice to know I can attend their school events, etc. Earning stock has been a great unexpected bonus. It's like a nice little pile of money building on it's own that I never even have to think about. I also like the fact that Aflac provides all my marketing materials, advertising, etc. so I can focus on what I'm great at, and that's sales.

ConsYou need to be very self motivated to be an Aflac agent. The support is great, but there isn't anyone breathing down your neck telling you what to do. The harder you work, the more financially rewarding it is. However, if you let yourself be lazy, you're going to be disappointed with your paycheck.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity to make money, but may take some time

AFLAC Field Sales Agent (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMainly for those with an entrepreneurial spirit. Commission only, but there is viable opportunity to make money if you're willing to put in the time to play the numbers game
doing cold calling and knocking doors.

ConsI work at a NYC area office. The office structure is rather odd for such a large corporation. It's a boutique office type of environment.  Each location is basically an Aflac franchise. Overhead expenses are paid for by the regional manager and his partner/s.  These partners operate autonomously even though they represent the same company. This results into a lack of communication as members from one team do not know any of the managers or agents from other teams. Further overhead is allocated among district managers and top producers who rent out one of their cubicles or office spaces.   Minor expenses such as cups and coffee are regulated and people who wish to help themselves to such luxury have to pitch in or bring their own.  This is rather tacky IMO. It gives a penny pinching impression in this multi billion dollar corporation.  When I found out that we were free to make copies and send out faxes at no cost I took a sigh of relief.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople promoted to management should look, as well as act professionally. One should not have to wonder how they ever made to management.

talk to former employees and also business owners before joining.

Aflac Agent (Former Employee)
Clearwater, FL

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGetting the health, life and annuities 2-15 license opens many doors. Meet many business owners. Products are well known. Semi flexible hours. Great name recognition.

ConsFully commission. If a company does not want the product you must pay back some commission. Demand that people stay in office and call business from 9am-5pm on Monday's and must go to 100 businesses every week. You become a card collector. Some management are only worried about how much they make. I found that they "hire" so many people that I think they forgot about me and never sent me to the proper training. But encouraged me to continue selling products and splitting commisson with other agents till they could send me to a training that was basically a large call center. The company did open many doors for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is not to favor some people over others and to give all the same amount of time. When "going out " in the field take them to areas that you have not personally taken others so that it can be a opportunity to get business. Also do not demand people to be in an office an not pay them, when they can be in the field and making money.

Live the dream if you're tough enough

Agent (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsYou're your own boss, great potential to make money, lots of support from your coordinators, great and inspirational training to get you started (but a lot of this comes down to the particular state operation and region you work out of)

Cons- Pay is commission only. If you don't close, you don't make money.
- Several people I started with expressed frustration that the costs of starting weren't disclosed from the beginning (Cost to study for insurance licensing exam, cost of exam, cost to get fingerprinted, cost to get licensed, they make you pay $100-200/month to use the office, etc.)
- This is a get-rich-over-the-long-term job. You've gotta realize that it's a lot of hard work and/or limited income in the beginning, but you'll make good money in the long run if you can make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe real about what needs to be done to make money. What we're told makes it seem like it's a lot easier than it actually is. And make sure people know what they're getting themselves into. All you hear up front is the good stuff, and I had to push really hard to learn about the bad parts of the job, and even then I didn't feel like I was fully informed of what was coming.

AFLAX

Aflac Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac part-time

ProsSet your own schedule is only positive

Cons0 field support which needs to drastically improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease field support

Fantastic

Benefits Consultant (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWork my own hours and have great leadership showing me how to grow my business

ConsSales and getting out of my comfort zone

Very Good Company, Overall

I have been working at Aflac

ProsExcellent training and corporate support to build a foundation for success, and a company culture characterized by colleagues who generally are happy to help each other. The company's name recognition and its advertising and marketing tools are a big plus.

ConsToo many salespersons covering the same territories make it crucial that you not only be a real self-starter, but also a fast go-getter in generating leads and getting clients.

Great company to work for if you are self motivated and have good contacts

Agent (Current Employee)
Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsSet own hours, great networking opportunities and great people to work with

ConsCommission only position with no healthcare benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some kind of base pay to new Agents to get up and going in their business. Also, provide healthcare for Agents. Paying healthcare out of pocket is extremely expensive especially for new Agents.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aflac reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aflac CEO Dan Amos. All 541 reviews posted anonymously by Aflac employees.