Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential(in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great(in 23 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow"(in 33 reviews)

Aflac needs to pay attention to its agents

Pros#1 Supplemental Insurance company in the U.S., and pays claims promptly.

ConsInconsistent practices; reused lists by other Aflac agents who call on the same businesses, creating a negative backlash of businesses requesting not to be contacted by Aflac; commission-only sales; no benefits; high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be beneficial to have an active Agent Relations Dept.

Tough but Rewarding

ProsFlexible work hours, ability to provide products to people which genuinely help people, strong brand recognition
    Side note, an agent's experience will vary from region to region. If you are in a region where your DSC and RSC will help you, your ability to get the ball rolling will be a lot more smooth.

ConsYou are paid through commission so if you are not willing to put in the hard work to reach out to people, you will not see the reward.

It's true about residual income

District Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsI worked very hard for three years with Aflac and I'm still reaping the benefits even three years after I quit.

ConsCold calling is a tough way to make a living. They package it in many different ways...but cold calling is still cold calling!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the ones who do the majority of the work...remember the 20% who put food on your table!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A boring challenge

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, reward success and offer a lot of perks and opportunities to earn those perks for those that do well, and our coordinator seemed to have a ton of energy about the company which was contagious.

ConsCold calling was a drain and that was most of the job. Difficult to stay engaged. Also the compensation structure made it ripe for turnover and everyone I started with was gone pretty quickly, making me question whether I could be doing something better.

Potential in the Right Market

Account Executive (Former Employee) Marriottsville, MD

ProsThere is a lot of potential if you know the right people and are in the right market. You can make a lot of money.

ConsYou will be essentially on the phones cold calling for the first so many months until you make connections. 100% commission based.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less interns for sure. Also there needs to be something done which eliminate employees from calling the same people over and over again.

The Duck

Agent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHaving the freedom of planning your own schedule and being in business for yourself but not by yourself and feeling as if you are still part of Corporate America.

ConsWithout a good working relationship with decision makers of small to large business's it is diffficult to get past that gate keeper with so many Aflac agents knocking on the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the changes in Healthcare Aflac is a great way to help lower the overhead of providing benefits to employees. Make sure you get updated each year to the advantages Aflac has to offer.

Awesome place to work!

Claims Specialist (Former Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsAmazing place to work. They do so much for their employees. Loved the employee appreciation week.

ConsCan not think of any.

Aflac District Coordinator responded to this review

Jun 10, 2014

Thank you for all you do on the claims side of things! Sure makes our job easier!

Fantastic opportunity for lifetime income and growth

ProsCutting edge of Health Care Reform

ConsCan be a challenge to filter through all of the data

Aflac District Coordinator responded to this review

Jun 10, 2014

There are definitely lots of challenges, but as long as your coordinator gives you the tools you need during training you can overcome them all!

Know what you're getting into if you're doing sales

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGREAT PAY, if you can persevere and are good at sales

Cons100% commission, extremely reliant on building momentum

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your sales office managers to be open and honest during the interview process

Overall a good place to work

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee)

ProsNice people - my colleagues treat each other with respect
    Fair local management - it is very non-political
    Work/Life balance - there is a high degree f work life balance. Much better than other local companies.

ConsDifficult to be far from hq
    No upward mobility - People who work hard are not always rewarded. The need to reward those who deserve it

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees regardless of site

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!