Aflac

Updated March 5, 2015
3.2

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work and dedication pays off in dividends when you work for this fantastic company!

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people from every walk of life. Helping people to secure themselves and their families from financial hardships.
    Phenomenal compensation for your efforts that continues to build and grow as your business grows.
    The ability to control your life and work as you need. Working for a fantastic Fortune 500 company!

Cons

It takes a little time to really get your business rolling- plan your life accordingly. The first 6 months of your career are the most difficult, but once you've gotten yourself beyond that point it should be a nice ride.
    Getting business owners/HR managers to understand our company is very different and get past their preconceived notions of what they think we do. Getting past the objections to get them to understand that Aflac is no longer a luxery item, but becoming a necessity to fill the financial gap that major medical leaves for most Americans.

I would've gladly given a percentage of my commissions for the first year (or 2) to go toward a small base salary (for 1 year) to assist new associates as they grow their business. In my 2 years working for Aflac, I've seen too many good people leave because their new accounts haven't opened fast enough and they couldn't afford daily living. They would leave to go to a 'stable' job. A great option to assist those individuals is to create a balanced system of reducing the amount of advanced commission for them during their first year and rather giving them a "pay" as they get stable. It could be kept on a 1099 contract for tax purposes. Additionally, the hiring mantra of quantity of new hires could be changed to train quality of new hires- this is going to tie in with the next point. Or at least give them an option- established 'new' brokers, agents from other companies, those with

Quantity of 'new agents'. With the aforementioned commentary, less than 1/10 new agents 'make it' a career due to a multitude of reasons. Two of the most common are the financial struggle and the difficulty to overcome angry business owners. Many new agents get turned away from businesses because of "15 Aflac agents have been here in the past 2 months" aspect. With a base salary for their first year, there would be less turnover. Less turnover would lead to less resistance from business owners. Many business owners are turned away from Aflac, not because they don't believe in what we do, but rather because of how many different agents walk through their doors. Because of the high turnover rates of this job, rarely does the same person walk through that door.

Benefits for agents. With over 140,000 agents, most agents only represent Aflac and not other companies. With all of Aflac's resources, it would be easy for Aflac to create a partnership with a multitude of health care providers to make available affordable options for agents. Like their own Aflac benefits, Agents could have their major medical deducted from monthly statements and Aflac HQ wouldn't have to contribute. This could be done the same for retirement plans, HSA's, etc. It would be nice to have additional options and also work toward a lower turnover ratio.

Business Process Analyst I

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

It's really cold inside the buiding

Ridgeland and Madison teams are the best in the country! Great people to learn from and work with!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, work hard/play hard mindset, helpful, supportive, caring, determined, and hard working culture. Flexible schedule and great sales training.

Cons

Cold calling and commissions could be better.

Keep up the family sense of community in the work culture. Its definitely needed when self-employed.

Love the duck!

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Training is great on the front end. Equal emphasis should be placed on the back end with customer service and follow up.

Cons

Commission only. Equal emphasis should be placed on the back end with customer service and follow up training

n/a

Great products, good sales management support.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Commission is paid within 24-48 hours of posting the application.

Cons

No assigned territory, consequently many agents call the same potential client base.

never more proud

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Orange, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've never been more proud to tell others what I do, and how great my life is. Most people work more than they sleep or see family each day, and its important to do something you truly love.

Aflac is filled with many things great:
    great people
    great product
    great market
    great impact
    great morals
    great exec team
    amazing support
    theres not much more you need.

Cons

Ive experienced a handful of lazy coordinators/managers that sit on renewals and lose motivation in growing their business to its potential.

Granted that its nice to be making enough money to be able to sit back and relax, I feel that managers above all should be the most motivated and motivating.

The market is growing, and we need a more qualified field force. Every manger could use a new agent to help with growth.

I have enjoyed my time as an intern at Aflac. Good amount of cold calls, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Current Employee - Sales Support/Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support/Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Good Experience, Relaxed environment, Leadership that cares and gives you good training.

Cons

Slow Paced, Unpaid, Not a lot of coworker interaction, not a lot of room for improvement, can be repetitive/discouraging.

My manager took us out to lunch halfway through my internship. We should have a weekly meeting, even if it is a short one to go over stories and share tips/tricks for doing better on the job to hear from other interns/agents and the manager as well.

For the entrepreneur at heart

Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are good at networking, marketing, and sales this is the career for you.

Cons

If you are not self motivated and do not put in the work you will not make it .

Be realistic to new associates about first year earning potential.

Long Term, cumulative success.

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Compensation proportional with success and effort

Flexible hours

Cons

Must be self-motivated

Straight Sales Commission

More support in lead generation for new agents would go a long way in increasing short term retention of recruits, and recruit revenue.

Lots of good people, fun New York City environment, could potentially make a lot of money.

Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You work for yourself so you make your own schedule
    -Commission structure pays out a large percentage
    -Everyone was pretty laid back and easy to work with

Cons

-No salary, commission only makes it tough to get going
    -Have to build up pay over time
    -All cold-calling and telemarketing when you first start out