Aflac Reviews

835 reviews filtered by
3.2
Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

1. Don't get fooled by their slogan: 100 best companies to work for

I worked at Aflac

Pros

If you are applying to their headquarters in Columbus Georgia or their Tokyo branch, these branches are great.

Cons

Their New York Global Investments Wall Street branch is a disaster. No synergy or coordination across departments. Lot of political nonsense and bureaucracy. Very subjective and unfair environment, controlled by only few people who were already friends from previous companies.

A wanna be Wall Street branch that is mediocre at best. Few individuals stand out, these individuals should be holding the rein of this branch and redefine the culture that does not reflect the greatness of Aflac headquarters or Japan branch.

2. Great company

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Fantastic brand awareness
    unlimited income opportunity

Cons

can be tough to get started with a lot of cold calls until you learn the scripts of what to say

help management with coaching accountability

3. I facilitated the quarter earnings release

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

The people were really nice and helpful

Cons

The work did not utilize my talents

Hard work and dedication pays off in dividends when you work for this fantastic company!

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people from every walk of life. Helping people to secure themselves and their families from financial hardships.
    Phenomenal compensation for your efforts that continues to build and grow as your business grows.
    The ability to control your life and work as you need. Working for a fantastic Fortune 500 company!

Cons

It takes a little time to really get your business rolling- plan your life accordingly. The first 6 months of your career are the most difficult, but once you've gotten yourself beyond that point it should be a nice ride.
    Getting business owners/HR managers to understand our company is very different and get past their preconceived notions of what they think we do. Getting past the objections to get them to understand that Aflac is no longer a luxery item, but becoming a necessity to fill the financial gap that major medical leaves for most Americans.

I would've gladly given a percentage of my commissions for the first year (or 2) to go toward a small base salary (for 1 year) to assist new associates as they grow their business. In my 2 years working for Aflac, I've seen too many good people leave because their new accounts haven't opened fast enough and they couldn't afford daily living. They would leave to go to a 'stable' job. A great option to assist those individuals is to create a balanced system of reducing the amount of advanced commission for them during their first year and rather giving them a "pay" as they get stable. It could be kept on a 1099 contract for tax purposes. Additionally, the hiring mantra of quantity of new hires could be changed to train quality of new hires- this is going to tie in with the next point. Or at least give them an option- established 'new' brokers, agents from other companies, those with

Quantity of 'new agents'. With the aforementioned commentary, less than 1/10 new agents 'make it' a career due to a multitude of reasons. Two of the most common are the financial struggle and the difficulty to overcome angry business owners. Many new agents get turned away from businesses because of "15 Aflac agents have been here in the past 2 months" aspect. With a base salary for their first year, there would be less turnover. Less turnover would lead to less resistance from business owners. Many business owners are turned away from Aflac, not because they don't believe in what we do, but rather because of how many different agents walk through their doors. Because of the high turnover rates of this job, rarely does the same person walk through that door.

Benefits for agents. With over 140,000 agents, most agents only represent Aflac and not other companies. With all of Aflac's resources, it would be easy for Aflac to create a partnership with a multitude of health care providers to make available affordable options for agents. Like their own Aflac benefits, Agents could have their major medical deducted from monthly statements and Aflac HQ wouldn't have to contribute. This could be done the same for retirement plans, HSA's, etc. It would be nice to have additional options and also work toward a lower turnover ratio.

6. Love it!

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, work-life balance

Cons

Compensation, leadership, lack of training

Aflac

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and very supportive. I have received 5 star training that has jump started my career with Aflac and I can only hope to grow with the company. I was a little nervous about taking a commission position only, however, I feel that it was the best decision I could have made. I have the freedom to make what I am worth and the flexibility to still me Mom to my 3 kids.

Cons

A lot to learn when going through the pre-licensing process, but as soon as I passed the exam and started training, everything really came together.

Lots of different management styles, and I have noticed that some need to have more patience and keep in mind we are new to the company and some of us new to the insurance industry. I have been lucky to have been placed with a young DSC and he is very excited for my flourishing career which helps to keep me motivated.

n/a

I worked at Aflac

Pros

great training, great management and sales team

Cons

need part-time job until you start to make money. no salary while training.

AFLAC

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Can make quick money or not.

Cons

You are on your own after training.

Potential, but only a few make mobey

Former Employee - Agent in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work your own hours. Help peopke

Cons

A lot of cost up front out of your pocket.

Tell new agents what to truly expect

11. Ridgeland and Madison teams are the best in the country! Great people to learn from and work with!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, work hard/play hard mindset, helpful, supportive, caring, determined, and hard working culture. Flexible schedule and great sales training.

Cons

Cold calling and commissions could be better.

Keep up the family sense of community in the work culture. Its definitely needed when self-employed.