Aflac Reviews

Reset
3.3
Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • Did I mention, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Work/Life balance - there is a high degree f (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary, you will quickly end up spending your own money for a company that has 700 billion in assets (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

1. The opportunity is there if you're willing to work for it.

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Being an independent agent with Aflac, I can make my own schedule and work when I want to work. I am in control of my own income and time off.

Cons

Misconseptions by business owners about what Aflac really does. Most believe it is just insurance and only suplemental. This simply isn't true. An Aflac agent offers so much more, most of which is free. We keep your company in compliance with the law, set up cafe plans and flex accounts, make sure your employees are taken care of in any situation that may arise.

Advice to Management

?

AFLAC Career: Serious Challenging work that rewards those who want to succeed as Entrepreneurs

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Being an Entrepreneur and running your own business with a serious committment to long-term win/win business relationships. Helping both Businesses and Individuals face economic challenges head-on. Paying badly needed cash directly to people after they have suffered a life threatening event such as Cancer, Heart-Attack, or serious Accident. Protecting people's income and helping them pay their mortgage when they are disabled and unable to work at their job. A higher purpose of helping others and caring about others when most people really only care about themselves.

Cons

Accepting the freedom and learning discipline of how to really work for yourself and make an honest living. Most people want an easy job or career with a paycheck, AFLAC only pays you when you actually work, set appointments, run presentations and enroll people in the great products. Being willing to make a serious committment to both yourself and your family that this career is 10-years of serious challenging and difficult work before you can retire and be paid for the rest of your life. Lazy negative people who tried the career for less than 2 years and then quit only to criticize and bad mouth the opportunity and the company instead of assume responsibility for their own failure in sales,

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to always remember what it is like to be in the field working and selling AFLAC everyday. We are a volunteer army and believe in the product and the company so the utmost respect should be reserved for those that are selling AFLAC in the field.

AFLAC is good if you have worked Commission only before

Current Employee - Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

The main reason to work for AFLAC is to be independent. You don't have to be held Captive. You can still offer other products if AFLAC does not have them. You do not get a salaary, benefits or discounts on product. You do get wide use of the AFLAC name. That has been one of the best parts of working with them. The NASCAR promotions, TV, Radio and print ads are still all over the place. Every one knows the duck.

Cons

Some of the downsides are that people do not know what AFlAC is all about far as products are concerned. The think it is only disability. They have so much more. The prices are competitive, but no one see AFLAC as a key provider for certain things like Long Term Care or Dental coverage.

Advice to Management

The advice I would give is for them to come up with some affordable cost share ways to market to small business without having to do things the way they did them 3o years ago. Cold calling and going door to door seem to be a little behind. Maybe if we could have some of the products people were not aware of promoted more. It would at least raise the awareness of the offerings.

If you've got your act together, 94% name recognition will open a lot of doors.

Current Employee - Agent in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Agent in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

The money. The freedom. The possibilities for near-term advancement. Business to business - no nights or weekends. The existence of a "big tent" where the company let's you design your own career path and business development methodology. Fantastic name recognition for your brand. Universally applicable product. Thriving interest in this product during a down economy as emplyers struggle to rein in soaring benefit costs. Tight, 12-item product line specifically designed to complement rather than replace major medical plans. Company gives a yearly stock bonus to field agents. After vesting (2-5 years), from 50% to 100% renewal income vests for life - a nice check.

Cons

They won't flog you - if you want to work, you must be both self-motivated and organized.

Advice to Management

Improve company profile in the Broker community. Reach out more to minorities, both as clients and as customers.

I love working for Aflac!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

I didn't find Aflac on a career search web site, I found them in the Fortune 100 Best Places to work for. Currently they're ranked #26 in the world, and I'm beginning to see why! I'm currently a Primary Customer Service Specialist in the call center. The training is thorough so that you can feel comfortable doing your job. Compensation is generous, the benefits are incredible, good work is rewarded, there is plenty of room to move up in the company, and their business philosophies are ones I can believe in. I'm 22 and I wouldn't mind working for this company for the rest of my life. Very impressed!

Cons

The "duck" jokes you get from your friends/family. But you've gotta love the duck.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your continued honesty and respect for your employees!

7. Aflac = Company with Great Morals and Great Opportunities.

Current Employee - Special Projects Coordinator - Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Projects Coordinator - Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Aflac offers great products to it's clients. Not only do the benefits of Aflac products - the cash people receive when they're hurt/out of work/etc - literally save houses, save cars, save lifestyles... but Aflac actually pays its claims! I've never seen the company look out for itself more than the insured. Aflac pays claims, plain and simple. I'm proud to be part of a company that does what it says its going to do, and at such a demanding and hard time in people's lives. I believe in the products I sell. I believe in the company to keep their promises, pay their claims, and always - ALWAYS - do what is right by the insured. Not only that, but Aflac sponsors so many worthwhile causes. The Aflac Children's Cancer Center, the Iron Girl, and so many more. The leaders of the company are real people. They are kind personable people you will actually meet with during your career. They are in it to help people, not to keep padding their bank accounts. It's a company with morals. As far as working for Aflac is concerned, the ability to have a flexible schedule, the excellent training provided free of charge by the company, the management, the opportunity for advancement, the opportunity to make great money if you work hard... the list goes on.

Cons

Let's be honest: it's sales. If you're not a person who likes to sell, then Aflac may not be right for you (relating to a field force Agent). It's also commission-only (again, just the Agents). It's a scary thing to jump into. If you're willing to take the leap and work hard, then it will probably end up very well for you. But sales and commission-only is not for everyone. On an upside, I too hate sales... so normally I'd think Aflac wouldn't be right for me. But when I was interviewing for the position two years ago, I explained my hesitation and the Regional Coordinator told me to simply educate people on the products and don't try to "sell" them. And that's what I do. For me, a "no" is a "no." That means that this simply isn't the right time for the customer to take advantage of the opportunity that Aflac products offer. I refuse to act like a "used car salesmen" with high stress sales tactics. I educate, and then I'm done. And I do very well.

Advice to Management

I've met most of them personally and all I had for them was positive feedback. Keep up the excellent work. Fantastic company.

I am proud to be an Aflac associate.

Current Employee - Independent Associate
    Current Employee - Independent Associate

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Not only are the opportunities unlimited, but there are many valuable contributions to your community that YOU CAN accomplish if you want to succeed badly enough! If you really have the desire, at Aflac YOU CAN: 1. Make your life's-work very meaningful by helping others and giving people the chance to survive the instances of misfortune that comes into their lives, 2. Make your own life better by instilling passion, values and self-improvement to you!, 3. Create a better income, directly adding value and worth to your financial bottom line, and 4. Improve your family life, not only through a better income, but from the flexible time scheduling you can do while in control of your own efforts...... If you are interested in energetically improving the world around you and making a better, positive life, the odds are really good for your success......Will power is a real factor and has to be an intrinsic part of the effort to find that energy.....Devotion to the product is very easy because it's simply the best of its' kind that there is out there! The support you get from the company as a new associate is next -to-none because there is a large staff, friendly, intelligent, and dedicated to helping the field force with the best tools and education possible in the industry.

Cons

The only set-backs I can see so far as an Aflac agent, are overcoming the obstacles that I, myself put in the way for my own success.... Things like lethargic days, being too tired, or lacking motivation happen to everyone sometimes, but if I find ways to minimize this and reward myself for little steps, I know that the big rewards will pay off later... This of course doesn't point to Aflac itself, but to the individual's fit to the job... Aflac approaches recruiting by sometimes talking to people who weren't ever even in sales before because they are looking at the whole picture of what that person has to offer in the way of creativity, energy, individuality, substance, and liking people....

Advice to Management

To Senior Management, I would say to keep doing what you are doing! Never before did I meet with teams in companies I have worked for, that had REAL spirit and belief in the company and its' product to a point beyond passion. I have several times over, been moved to tears by just hearing the personal stories from other agents who helped people with what we do every day. It gives us all a real sense of satisfaction and pride to be a part of a company that echoes what it says it does by practice not just with words.

9. Great Opportunity!

Current Employee - Dsc in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Dsc in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Aflac essentially gives you the opportunity to build a true business without nearly the cost of starting one from scratch. If you are willing to work hard and not blame others for your own failures than you can and will be very successful. It is not for lazy whiners.

Cons

There are no downfalls of working with Aflac unless you are a clock puncher who is not coachable, driven, or hard working. It is not a "job" but rather your business.

Advice to Management

Managment does a great job motivating and recognizing efforts. If you do what your taught then they will work hard for you to make you as successful as possible. If you already know it all then they will leave you alone.

10. Account Manager

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Great atmosphere, high salary, great management, they provide you with top notch training and mentoring and give you all necessary materials

Cons

Need to be a hard worker, the sales do not come to you. You have to be confident and aggressive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, Aflac is a great company and the people that run it make it that way.

11. Great Career

Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Providence, RI

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Freedom, income potential, helping people when you sell the product, advancement.

Cons

It is hard work, getting sales in any direct selling situation is hard. Many gatekeepers have seen agents many times, few decision makes have.

Advice to Management

Good response to hard times, for example product changes, lower cost computers and other technologies to help us write policies.

Showing 821 of 1,007 reviews