Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros:
  • "Did I mention, unlimited income potential"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance, and Freedom to run your own business"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "No base salary for interns and it would be very difficult to start in this company because no one would help you"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Being an independent contractor means no benefits and paying your own business expenses"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Representative

AFLAC Field Sales Agent (Former Employee)
Bayamon, PR

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsInsurance policies are excellent products to be sold

ConsManagement style are more for them that for the company, is like they don't want you to be part of the company, but give them your leads

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so persistent in having the sales representatives give you their sales potential customer

A great place to work if you want a career to work around your life.

licenced insurance agent (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsUnlimited income potential
Unlimited income potential
Did I mention, unlimited income potential...
Freedom to work when convenient to you!
They served alcohol at the staff meetings!

ConsJob is commission only
Staff meetings were held in bars
Very hard to break into business with b2b selling!
District managers were very unwilling to assist with agents who were struggling!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease abide with the do not contact list!!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

not what it was sold to be, in terms of support and additional training being provided

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, decent people, get out of it what you would put into it. I would spend a couple of days with an agent first.

Cons, non-payroll cases took forever to get issued. Promises made and not kept. People quack up

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lose the duck

A lot of sweet nothings

I worked at Aflac full-time

Prosfreedom, no boundaries for sales, unlimited income potential. You can choose your own work schedule. No higher education required

ConsCons- This is my experience with them. I wrote the pros, but I will write in as much detail about my experience to help other people. This company for independent sales people is exactly what it is from the recruiting process to getting money. The interview is really not an interview it is a presentation of their products and how much money you can make. When I brought my resume, all they looked at was my name literally and then tossed it to the side. I have to be honest the presentation was good and they are pros at catching people. Now from the beginning I felt iffy about the whole situation. For example the State guy (Presidents club) guy whom is the top dog in sales did the presentation. I asked him afterward for tips or if he had a card so I can get advice. He looked at me as if I am stealing from him. He reluctantly gave me his card and sped away in his BMW. Now here comes the quicksand I attend the training which is the next 2 days. Then I get my insurance license within 2 weeks. The entire time the sales pitch is being poured on me and all I hear is how much money you will make and that everything is going to be fine. Now I have my license and I am going to meet my DSC for the first time. He is nice as nice can be telling me how much he is going to help and we are going to get you to quit your job. I was excited. I did the cold calling which is very difficult to do if you are not familiar with sales. This is my first sales job. Now my first time went well I generated leads called about 25 in an hour. I got a couple of maybe's. Could not settle the deal and they did not go through later. This is when hell opened. My next couple of days really discouraged me. An owner cursed me out, one rep said you are the 5th Aflac caller today(it was only 10am). My DSC was non existent because I did not generate any money. I know that was the case because when I had the possibles he was helping me with my presentation. Telling me what to say, meeting with me. Then when I had no leads he would not pick up his phone, answer text, nothing. I tried for about 2 months then gave up. I admit it, it was rough. I had no support, no formal training. On top of that, the environment is not like 9 to 5 co-workers. Every independent sales agent is your competition, it does not even matter if they live in another state. They can get there license in your state and take your business. I could not get help from anyone. The environment was tense and stressing me out, because you have to pay for everything. It is your own business, but you have Aflac name. Many companies do not like Aflac because of the renegade sales people or the fact that they may not be reliable. I spent time and money on a train wreck of experience. I will not do aflac again. I know I am not a sales person but I thought that this place could teach me a bit. If you are not experienced do not do it. The work life balance is a lie at least in from my point of view. If you don't grind and I mean like to the point near you are working 7 days a week. You will not get that freedom. You have to work and hard. From my experience you have to work hard, and alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement DSC and up stop looking at the others as dollar signs. We are people to and need real leadership. If I need help for a sale I should not have to worry about you stealing it behind my back. Trust is a big thing if we can not trust then why am I working with you.

Working in a sea of ants

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you were in their favor, they would give you deals that came in or
that came up after someone had left because of the huge turnover.

ConsThere were so many people working there that you would walk in a company's door and three people had already been there at 10 in the morning.
Management would hire their wives and give them percentages of your deals as splits when they hadn't been involved in the deal. Heck, they probably hadn't been out of their house that day.
Companies hang up on you constantly or tell you to get out of their business because they are so tired of Aflac reps continuously bothering them, telling them the same thing over and over..

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and start acting like a real company. You may not realize it, but your actions will catch up with you in time..

Received no material experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aflac as an intern

ProsEveryone is motivated to make sales.

ConsCold calling people on monster to work for Aflac.

It's a scam.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsThere were no pros about this crappy opportunity.

ConsIt's a scam, cattle call or revolving door. The top 2% make it and the rest either struggle or fail. Hardcore sales. They only give you 2 months then cancel your contract. In the time I was there I had 2 small groups and some other big ones in my sales pipeline. Guess it wasn't enough. They dissed me and will probably get themselves some paydays from my work. They also expect you to recruit people. It was unprofessional. My so called district manager didn't have a clue about what he was doing. They thought it was cool to bad mouth other people that came and went before me at meetings in front of everyone. My manager also insulted me with strange comments I'd rather not repeat. He was an unqualified and disrespectful person. The general public and most businesses don't like Aflac. Go ask them if you don't believe me. Constant cold calling and door knocking, hitting the same people over and over again. It's not an easy sell right now with everything up in the air over insurance. All they offer is ancillary supplemental polices. I would stay away from this opportunity and company unless you already have businesses lined up and know the management at the office where you applied, otherwise you're going to get screwed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business.

Lose, Lose situation.

Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are very friendly when they are sucking you in.

ConsContractor sales position, No benefits, only training was on cold calling, very little to none training on the product. What they pay you upfront they will just as quickly take away from you if client doesn't pay or quits participating. Trust me, they have this all figured out and they will not be the ones that lose any money in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit just hiring and hiring. I know it is to your advantage but it is very over saturated and it disheartens the sales agents and pisses of the businesses. Better product training of the products would be very helpful.

Do not work under the AFLAC name

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Marriottsville, MD

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to set your own hours and the people are friendly. They give you some training in products they offer.

ConsYou need to buy insurance that will put you in debt if you do not make any sales. I lost almost $1,000 because my DSC told me to ignore the letters from AFLAC telling me I had to pay. I spent over 6 months at AFLAC and in hindsight it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made working here. Aflac is a scam.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about offering a base salary plus commission.?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Disappointing, lots of work for no pay.

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only good thing here is the people. Most of them are very nice and are eager to help someone new.

ConsThe job is straight commission which translates ti working for the company for free unless and until you sell something. The sales cycle is very long and requires at least five callbacks to close the deal. Their primary objective is to make as many cold calls as possible, set as many appointments with employers as possible, make presentations to the employer, then the employees. There are no defined territories which means that a quarter to half of the business you cold call have probably been called on by another agent. Also, they stress making appointments, not getting product knowledge. It's difficult to make an appointment with someone without giving them a good reason to meet with you. Also, the training is only as good as your direct superior, and changing to another person is not always possible. if you have at least a year's worth of cash, or someone to support you for a year, give it a try, otherwise, find a company that has enough faith in you to pay you a salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet agents change district manager if they ask. Give product knowledge sooner. Have defined territories.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aflac reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aflac CEO Dan Amos. All 546 reviews posted anonymously by Aflac employees.