www.aflac.com

Updated March 5, 2015
3.2

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Ridgeland and Madison teams are the best in the country! Great people to learn from and work with!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, work hard/play hard mindset, helpful, supportive, caring, determined, and hard working culture. Flexible schedule and great sales training.

Cons

Cold calling and commissions could be better.

Keep up the family sense of community in the work culture. Its definitely needed when self-employed.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Autonomy and being your own boss. You learn how to cold call and handle the rejection. There is an endless supply of sales materials.

Cons

Lack of training to be successful and no benefits. Cold calling on a saturated market and the time it takes to actually "make the sell." It usually takes multiple meetings, possibly weeks before getting the account.

Business Process Analyst I

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

It's really cold inside the buiding

Good company as long as you are in the "in crowd."

Former Employee - Vice President in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Columbus, GA

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Great benefits package, profit sharing bonus, gym, daycare, retirement, stock options, health clinic, fair salary for location, vacation/sick leave, paid holidays.

Cons

Very cut throat as you move up. If you can't play politics well, or are not a yes man you may have a hard time surving higher up the ladder. There are a lot of egos at the top that need to be carefully stroked.

Many members of senior management get too caught up in personal issues to make the RIGHT decision. They often are far more concerned with what they can do as opposed to what the should do...

Not what it's quacked up to be! If you can find something else to do....do it...please!

Former Employee - Aflac Agent in Hot Springs, AR
    Former Employee - Aflac Agent in Hot Springs, AR

I worked at Aflac part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training. Most coworkers are friendly and helpful. Good product line for supplemental insurance.

Cons

Straight commission. Cold calling. Saturated sales areas. Little help from management. No benefits. Basically everything comes out of your own pocket.

Offer a base salary and some benefits so agents don't go broke and end up quitting. That way you don't have to keep hiring new people over and over again!

For the entrepreneur at heart

Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Management in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are good at networking, marketing, and sales this is the career for you.

Cons

If you are not self motivated and do not put in the work you will not make it .

Be realistic to new associates about first year earning potential.

I have enjoyed my time as an intern at Aflac. Good amount of cold calls, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Current Employee - Sales Support/Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support/Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Good Experience, Relaxed environment, Leadership that cares and gives you good training.

Cons

Slow Paced, Unpaid, Not a lot of coworker interaction, not a lot of room for improvement, can be repetitive/discouraging.

My manager took us out to lunch halfway through my internship. We should have a weekly meeting, even if it is a short one to go over stories and share tips/tricks for doing better on the job to hear from other interns/agents and the manager as well.

never more proud

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Orange, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've never been more proud to tell others what I do, and how great my life is. Most people work more than they sleep or see family each day, and its important to do something you truly love.

Aflac is filled with many things great:
    great people
    great product
    great market
    great impact
    great morals
    great exec team
    amazing support
    theres not much more you need.

Cons

Ive experienced a handful of lazy coordinators/managers that sit on renewals and lose motivation in growing their business to its potential.

Granted that its nice to be making enough money to be able to sit back and relax, I feel that managers above all should be the most motivated and motivating.

The market is growing, and we need a more qualified field force. Every manger could use a new agent to help with growth.

Enjoyable internship experience

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at Aflac as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is really nice. People here are approachable and willing to help if you have any questions.

Cons

For me the only concern is to commute. Nothing else.

If Only People Were Upfront and Honest

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Aflac part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can set your own work schedule, regularly meeting new people, feeling like running your own business

Cons

Training that is not very in-depth, too much emphasis on winning contests and bonuses, dealing with rudeness and hostility from potential clients, agents having to come out of their pockets to pay for everything, lack of support from management

Stop using a "pie in the sky" approach to lure employees. Be totally honest about what the job is and what it isn't. Tighten up the sales school; it flies by too fast, and associates aren't being told everything about what they need to succeed. Training by piecemeal doesn't work. Stop hiring people simply because they are breathing and awake. That would cut down greatly on the high turnover. Drop the sarcasm regarding associates having a second job in order to pay their bills; Aflac does not offer any base pay, and people have a right to do what they need to in order to survive financially. Please consider that the second job may be temporary until an associate starts making money with Aflac. Cool it on the greed culture, and play up more how Aflac can help people, because that is what it is supposed to be about. Stop telling stories during the sales meetings that put down the people who left the company. That is unprofessional, and it lowers the morale of the associates who are still there. Push to change Aflac's advertising and marketing campaigns. The ads are cute, but they do not explain that Aflac is supplementary, voluntary health insurance. Most think Aflac is just another major insurance company. This causes problems for associates trying to convince business owners and individuals to meet with them. Tone down the aggressive sales approaches, especially since there are no protected territories. This is why business owners who have been approached numerous times by different Aflac associates do not want to do business with the company. It gives the business owners the impression that no one talks to each other at Aflac and there is no organization within Aflac or else, Aflac would know not to keep approaching people who already said "no" many times.