Aflac Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 21 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 28 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Santa Monica office is terrific

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Earning potential is great. Management is wonderful and very supportive. Lots of great training from people who really know what they are talking about. People are very friendly and supportive. Its an unusual insurance company, they do the right things for the right reasons. Opportunities for promotion are aplenty.

Cons

Takes a little time to get your business going. But if you can't invest about 3 months or if you're not willing to put in 100%, it may not be the career choice for you.

keep doing what you're doing and how you're doing it.

Agent

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

Unlimited earnings, product is needed by households, claims paid fast

Cons

Too many field managers, more market competition,

The sales force is in serious trouble and is no longer a place for entrepreneurial opportunity.

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

This company used to be really a good place to work and build a book of business; in fact it was a wonderful place to work. Many independent agents could start and over the years make significant sums of money running into six and seven figures. Added on to this were the renewals and stock one got on top, this was the best insurance business opportunity around, by far. Ordinary people became millionaires working as independent agents. Los Angeles led the country for sales within the continental US for the company. Those were the good old days.

Cons

The enormous success and future potential of more money got the company greedy. Whereas the field force used to have representation within corporate headquarters, things have drastically changed. For example, the Los Angeles state office (top hierarcal field office consisting of multiple regions) started working against it's own independent field force by creating it's own state team that essentially took accounts and opportunities away from it's own regions and districts. Their ambition and greed backfired. Recently, the last founding partner of AFLAC passed away about a month ago. Changes have already taken place and now the state office operations have been converted to W2 status. Essentially, they no longer represent the field since they are now part of corporate! This is as if your local Senator or Congressman stopped being a voice of representation for the people.
    The field force has lost their voice because the state office no longer is a voice for the field agents. This is a bigger calamity than one realizes.

To the state office: you guys were too personally selfish and greedy. In your naked ambition, corporate saw the profits that could be had. But this requires taking commissions away from the field. By making the state offices W2 status, corporate has taken control. The state office set the stage by abusing the powers. You should have respected the field agents. By failing to protect them, you guys have cut off and capped your own personal potential income. The glory days of AFLAC are gone.

RUN from these crooks!!!!

Current Employee - CIT (Coordinator In Training) in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - CIT (Coordinator In Training) in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- I got out and don't work there anymore

Cons

So I am not one to write a ranting negative review... But seriously if this review helps even just one person from "working" there then it's worth it.

- You don't get paid .. they will feed you this BS about being performance based and what a high commission structure they have when in reality you are making them tons of money and you are doing all the work. I hit all my awards... Fire ball, super fire ball, won iPad.... Like I was GOOD and "promoted" to a CIT quickly. Then I thought about it and being really good I was still only making about 30k/year and working ALL the time and always being stressed.

- They literally hire ANYONE who walks through the door AND you have to pay for your own licensing (about $400) before you are even able to start ... That was the first red flag. They will feed you any and every lie just to get you to sign your contract and "partner" with them. RUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

- Everyone is shady in this company... yes it's sales which is known to be a bit sneaky but AFLAC employees take the cake... Don't trust ANYONE... Not even your super sweet new DSC who seems like they want to help because the second you hurt their quota or show any signs of wanting to take another career path they will take all your accounts and tell you that they belong to AFLAC and you have no jurisdiction. True story.

- You are 10-99 and management will use the line on you that the "first year is the hardest but when renewals and stock start building this will best job you've ever had".... If you don't have charge backs (when YOU owe the company money for ridiculous reasons) or if you don't go broke in that year. Also, since you are technically not an employee you have to file taxes as a contractor and OWE money to the IRS at the end of the year... So this year will be the hardest you've ever worked for the least amount of money AND you will owe money at the end of the year... C'mon people. I feel like such an idiot for falling for it.

- You basically get no training and are told to walk around businesses and try to set appointments with business owners to sell their employees AFLAC policies... And don't get paid for it. It's demoralizing how people treat you and if you are lucky enough to get some people to sign up, now you have to help them with claims, which you also don't get paid for. Did I mention if you enroll anyone over 72 years old you don't even get your commission... Literally you are working for free.

- And lastly, they will tell you all about the "AFLAC millionaire" who is the few who have made big money in this industry, but they will fail to mention that the failure rate is 96%... WHOA!! And, if you actually notice that most the people in the office ... this is their last resort. Either they had a child at 19 and this is the only "professional" job they're qualified, they didn't go to college or they declared bankruptcy and this their "big chance" to change that and make it big. It's honestly depressing.

I'm sad it took me almost two years to realize this company and management are all liars and con-artists. DONT DO IT... PLEASE RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN!!!

STOP LYING!!!! Don't hire anyone who walks through the doors so you get bigger bonuses... You, yes you RSC's ruin people's lives. You should be so ashamed of yourself and you deserve this scumbag company just as much as it deserves you. You all disgust me.

no independent agents make money

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Elmsford, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Elmsford, NY

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

if you get lucky you may land a big account but don't count on it

Cons

all cold calling; stale leads; saturated market; too many reps chasing few remaining open accounts

Employee Benefits

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Consultant
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Consultant

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great salary, lots of leads, wonderful culture

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep attracting the Gen Y crowd!

great training

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

great hands on training through experienced licensed agents

Cons

rapidly changing management and reports 100% commission only pay

talk to your field agents before going into their accounts if their is an issue

Great in theory, didn't work out for me.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unlimited income possibilities and can set your own schedule. Great trip rewards and other cash rewards. Job mobility is great and you can work anywhere in the US.

Cons

Cold calling is very hard in the over saturated market. You work really hard to make a sale that may not even workout. Even if you get past the manager the employees may not buy anything after you've wasted your own resources to make the sale.

"I am not a sales person" pretty much sums up my time with Aflac; It's a good way to dip your foot into the sales pool.

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training
    Flexible hours
    Aflac seems to have the best products in it's area. You quickly come to understand which products will work best for you and your prospective clients. After the "discounted rate" for signing up at least 3 people, the product is definitely worthwhile.

Cons

Cut throat.
    Areas can often get saturated with agents, you can sometimes find yourself tripping over areas other agents have already hit (which can get frustrating for both you AND the employer.

It wasn't what I thought it would be.

Former Employee - Independent Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Contractor Job, make own hours

Cons

Aflac hires too many agents for you to make it in this business. Create too much competition among the ranks.

IMPROVE IMPROVE IMPROVE!! on everything.