Aflac Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 21 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 28 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Decision I have EVER made!

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Aflac as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Right from the start you have all the necessary support and assistance you could ever want coming from all directions. Your boss is there for you, Your fellow agents are more than happy to give you advice or tag along on an appointment. The majority of the time you dont even have to explain what it is you or your company does. There is a huge amount of brand recognition with Aflac and that makes you feel like you are a part of something special, of something HUGE. Aflac is also a performance based company meaning that if you work hard, your paycheck shows it. Those who slack off do not get rewarded the same way the hard workers do. Because it is performance based and the hard workers are rewarded, you advance with the company outrageously fast. There is the possibility of being promoted within just 3 months of being with the company. You wont find that anywhere else. Yet another positive to the company is that you work on your own time. If there is a day that you absolutely cannot work, you dont have to request off in advance. Since you are essentially your own business owner, time missed is your own liability and no one else. Although you own your own business, you are still a united team and there is no better feeling than feeling like you are accepted into the society of the business.

Cons

Tough getting started because you are accustomed to having someone tell you what to do from the time you get there until the time you leave so managing your own time and being your own decison maker is difficult in the beginning, but you learn through trial and error and soon enough youre managing your time like a pro.

Wish there was a base pay for the first three months while you were still trying to get things situated

The work is very rewarding but, challenging.

Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The district coordinator is very knowledgeable and is willing to help new agents build their business the right way. The team of agents also are willing to help each other and everyone celebrates each other`s successes.

Cons

Competition...which is a pro. Everyone seems to have a vested interest in each other`s performance. We all push each other to be successful.

Great Training

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Top-notch training techniques will give you the knowledge and tools you need to succeed! The coordinators want to see you do well because the better you do, the better they do. As a new agent, there are so many opportunities to win awards and hit certain "benchmarks". And then there are always the trips you can qualify for which are awesome!!!

Cons

Need to have the ability to be a self-starter

I loved working with Aflac

Former Employee - Lead Specialist in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Lead Specialist in Columbus, GA

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented, really showed that they cared about their employees. The company truly believed in "one team, one dream" concept! I was sad I had to leave but I enjoyed my 15 years of experience with the company and I have nothing bad to say about the organization. As a matter of fact, although I am no longer employed with the company, if I here other people say anything bad, it bothers me. I still have loyalty for this organization although I have been gone since 2012

Cons

I do not have any

My only advice is to look within the department for potential promotions instead of moving out side of the department

Fantastic

Current Employee - Benefits Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Benefits Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work my own hours and have great leadership showing me how to grow my business

Cons

Sales and getting out of my comfort zone

good

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

good company for us to work in future forever.

Cons

cannot think of other at all as it is a good company

Very Ethical Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very honest about what you can expect as a career. What you put into it is what you get. Cold calling is slightly necessary. I personally chose to network and get account that way. Winning trips and awards are so fun and achievable. When interviewing, I would ask how many of their first year associates were able to fast start and hit other first year awards. If they have at least 75%hit those goals then I would sign with them ASAP! It shows they really will support you and make sure you hit your goals and are a success.

Cons

Commission only can be a challenge

Shop around with teams till you find a district and region you really like, trust, and respect.

Best company to work for EVER

Current Employee - Account Service Specialist III in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Account Service Specialist III in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay & benefits. Company loves its employees and takes great care of them. Training was above par and leadership was amazing. Many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Cubicle life does become mundane at times.

15+ years with Aflac

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Aflac is an incredible "Business Opportunity". If you are looking to be rewarded for your hard work and commitment, Aflac is the right choice. Too many people don't look at this opportunity as a business. If you just want an hourly wage stay where you are, if you want an opportunity to earn a large six figure income in a business with little overhead investment you can't beat Aflac.

Cons

Trying not to become complacent with success. Keep pushing.

Provide more incentives to veteran agents.

Where you finally get to see what you're worth

Current Employee - Business to Business Consultant/Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Support from fortune 118 WWHQ employees and services, nearly 100% name recognition, absolutely unlimited income, ability to start your own business with little capital investment and risk and mostly just hard work and learning. Aflac prepares you with product knowledge, effective prospecting, a 4 tier training program from field trainers, regional managers, state traingers, and wwhq-driven online courses. Unreal support and an amazing culture to work in. Products being presented are needed, affordable, and most people see the value.

Cons

You don't get paid to be present. During training you have to work smart and be dedicated. The income can be high one month and low the next-so you really have to spend smart on high income months. Realize when you come in to track all your expenses-you'll want to have them for tax time so you can gain from the out of pocket expenses like gas etc.

Be very honest with people about what this position is. Reading some of the reviews on here, it seems like many people didn't realize they'd actually have to work to earn an income. It's very possible to make a very good income with Aflac and have the career of their dreams...but make sure know one thinks it's going to happen on it's own.