Aflac

Updated August 18, 2014

3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Tough but Rewarding

Pros

Flexible work hours, ability to provide products to people which genuinely help people, strong brand recognition
    Side note, an agent's experience will vary from region to region. If you are in a region where your DSC and RSC will help you, your ability to get the ball rolling will be a lot more smooth.

Cons

You are paid through commission so if you are not willing to put in the hard work to reach out to people, you will not see the reward.

It's true about residual income

Former Employee - District Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - District Sales Coordinator

Pros

I worked very hard for three years with Aflac and I'm still reaping the benefits even three years after I quit.

Cons

Cold calling is a tough way to make a living. They package it in many different ways...but cold calling is still cold calling!

Pay attention to the ones who do the majority of the work...remember the 20% who put food on your table!

Awesome place to work!

Former Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Columbus, GA

Pros

Amazing place to work. They do so much for their employees. Loved the employee appreciation week.

Cons

Can not think of any.

Jun 10, 2014District Coordinator

Thank you for all you do on the claims side of things! Sure makes our job easier!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic opportunity for lifetime income and growth

Pros

Cutting edge of Health Care Reform

Cons

Can be a challenge to filter through all of the data

Jun 10, 2014District Coordinator

There are definitely lots of challenges, but as long as your coordinator gives you the tools you need during training you can overcome them all!

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer

Pros

Nice people - my colleagues treat each other with respect
    Fair local management - it is very non-political
    Work/Life balance - there is a high degree f work life balance. Much better than other local companies.

Cons

Difficult to be far from hq
    No upward mobility - People who work hard are not always rewarded. The need to reward those who deserve it

Respect employees regardless of site

Positive and enriching experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Pros

Top-level, globally recognized and respected brand. Top management is willing to listen to ideas and in many cases try new approaches.

Cons

Corporate headquarters is in a lovely small town in southern Georgia, but this may not be a good fit for some people. The corporate culture is extremely conservative, and while being risk-averse is a good attribute for a financial services company it can sometimes result in progress coming at too slow a pace for outside factors.

Might do a better job attracting and retaining talent if there was an option to be based out of other offices in larger markets.

Great People to work with

Pros

People are very helpful, Managers have an open door policy and there is a strong sense of camaraderie all around. There is a genuine desire among people to help each other and this is the 5th company I have seen, however my experience here is by far the best.

Cons

I am very new, just spent a week so not aware of the cons yet. The impressions I gathered from people I spoke to all suggested that people were generally happy here. Most people I spoke to had spend close to a decade working here some of them even had 15 and 20+ years of experience.

Jun 10, 2014District Coordinator

I am sure you will encounter obstacles, as you are still very new, but it is great to see you surrounded by positivity! I wish the best for you in your new career!

Accounting Specialist

Pros

Aflac is a company where they have mastered appreciating their employees and from all levels of management. If a company wants to know ways to encourage a positive atmosphere within their corporation, they will most definitely need to talk to the people of Aflac. Outstanding job!

Cons

It is nearly impossible to think of a con. This company just offers a lot of benefits for their employees. It is definitely the heartbeat of Columbus, GA.

Great

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Easy Incentives
    Team work mentality

Cons

Your profitability is in your own hands, so you can be your own weakness

Jun 10, 2014District Coordinator

Yes, you definitely must be a driven individual to pursue this career. But if are a self-motivated individual, you are golden!

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

I honestly cannot write any pros about this employer because it is a terrible place to work. They claim that you will make so much money working for them but that is a lie. The turnover of employees there is very high. In fact, when I came for the first day of my internship, no one has been there for more than a month, and most people were new just like me.

Cons

They do not pay you a single penny until you sell one of their policies (which nobody in their right mind should want to purchase because those policies are complete trash). They give you a script and a list of phone numbers and tell you to make 300 calls per hour (out of these 300 calls, you will be hung up of 100 times, and the other 200 numbers would be disconnected).

Just shut the place down, it is worthless.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!