Aflac Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 21 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 29 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Too Much Information, Not Enough Training

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours. I didn't really get a great sense of the company itself. It is typically the representatives of the company that gives a sense for the business.

Cons

Role Playing & Field Training should have been used for training. My Management was over an hour away from me & did not want to make the drive. The information piled onto new recruits was overwhelming & difficult to sift through. Management sent people to my zip code (which was supposed to be protected) 65 miles away from them to work my leads list that I made up while I was training. By the time training was done, my leads told me that someone from my Managers area just stopped by a couple of days prior. They were working my warm leads while I was paying for a hotel & spending my time & money to be trained (while not being paid for training).

I worked for Combined Insurance prior to this & AFLAC would benefit from role playing & investing paid training into their recruits. They may keep more agents that way. The plans for AFLAC were OK, but some were really high premiums unless you signed the whole Company, not just individuals. In those cases, your Manager would take over & you would not get the sale anyways.

Employee Benefits

Former Employee - Employee Benefits Consultant
    Former Employee - Employee Benefits Consultant

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great salary, lots of leads, wonderful culture

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep attracting the Gen Y crowd!

great training

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

great hands on training through experienced licensed agents

Cons

rapidly changing management and reports 100% commission only pay

talk to your field agents before going into their accounts if their is an issue

Working atmosphere is casual, but can be pressing at times. The coworkers and management are great.

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst III in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Business Process Analyst III in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty flexible 8 to 5 schedule, on-site cafe, gym, walking trails and disc golf. Nice benefit packages with bonuses most years and a lot of opportunity for career development and advancement.

Cons

Politics and diversity sometime seem to dictate advancement over experience.

Pay attention to the team members in your area of responsibility. Eventhough an "open door" policy is often stated, not all management level leaders are engaged with their teams.

Great place to work.

I worked at Aflac as an intern

Pros

Great culture. Good benefits if you're not in the field force. Has a strong company culture. Most everyone is pleasant to work with. They want you to have a good work/life balance.

Cons

It's in Columbus GA which is not a very interesting place.

No advice.

Amazing company and values

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

Ethical
    High value on employees
    Highly ethical and committed to policy holders
    People are great and there's good life balance

Cons

Not one i can think of. It's really a very good company. Not a lot of bad things to say about Aflac

Great Company!

I have been working at Aflac (less than an year)

Pros

Great people & great money making potential

Cons

You have to keep yourself motivated - since you are now basically working for yourself & making your own hours. So it's up to YOU on how well YOU succeed.

Great company, tough to get ahead.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of training and support, but the market is very saturated. The management program offers very little in terms of financial support.

Cons

You have to invest in evey aspect of the company. Yes there is a flexible schedule, but you still need to put in at least 60 hrs a week to break even.

Invest more in first level management instead of putting a heavier burden on them.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical Company, great pay and benefits.

Cons

Call Center schedule is difficult when you are a single parent.

PYRAMID SCHEME. THEY HIRE LITERALLY ANYONE

Former Employee - Coordinator-In-Training in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Coordinator-In-Training in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Making your own schedule
    - Taking as much time off as you want (because they don't pay you, so technically they can't tell you you have to work)
    - Some people are cool (until they get the opportunity to snake an account from you behind your back)
    - Really... there are no benefits to working here besides personal growth, learning how to handle rejection all day long, realizing you are better than you give yourself credit for
    - Good product for customers if they know how it works

Cons

- They will hire ANYONE willing to pay for their training. This is because it makes the management look better and makes them money ( I was in management and witnessed this often)
    - NO BASE PAY... It's a rough gig and many people go broke waiting on the "big pay out" that will most likely never come
    - Absolutely ZERO work/life balance. You work harder and more than you ever have, and get paid less than you ever have
    - If you are looking for an office job or a place to make friends at work... This is NOT the place!!!
    - They did a bunch of redividing the territories this year and even State Sales Coordinators were fired. I wanted almost half my office either get let go or quit because they realized this company has no morals or ethics.
    - Must give out your personal cell phone number to clients... Which is insane!! I quit over 6 months ago and still get angry voicemails from people
    - Most people who have succeeded with Aflac have no other skills, degrees or qualifications and this is their last resort
    - ALL the management lies about how you can make big $$$ and make it seem easy to live the "Aflac dream" when in reality only 4% of people who get licensed with Aflac make it... They don't tell you that in the interview, they wait and tell you when you've been promoted
    - Are not honest during interview, they will lie to anyone to get them to sign the contract with them ... Which means you have to pay around $400 just to start working there... RED FLAGS

This was honestly the most unethical, dishonest, BS company I have worked for and believed their lies for over a year until I was privileged to see how they management actually ran the office and it was appalling!!

STOP LYING TO NEW HIRES ABOUT THIS JOB!!! It's a no base pay, 100% commission, no benefits, 10-99, pay for all your own training, "job". Cut the crap and tell people how it really is... 96% of people who float through that office fail within the first year and go broke in the process. This company disgusts me.