Aflac Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Agent  in  Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Agent in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

The only US insurance company listed in Ethisphere list of Most Ethical Companies.

Cons

Commission-only (I'm a sales agent.

Aflac Coordinator in Training, with the company about 3 years now."

Current Employee - Coordinator In Training  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Coordinator In Training in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are driven, it is easy to be successful. You just need to be self-disciplined to do the prospecting and networking. We have a saying in Kentucky, that your raise is effective when you are. Your commissions are never capped, so you are the only one that prevents you from making money. The training is phenomenal here in KY. We are well versed in Health Care Reform knowledge and sales techniques. Managers coach you to meet your goals, rather than scold you if you don't hit them. Kentucky's field force is very family oriented and a great group to work for and with. I cannot speak for other state organizations, but I love working for our management team!

Also, Aflac does amazing work for charity. We have a children's hospital in Atlanta that is run by donations made from agents and employees of Aflac.

We help so many people in their times of need through our insurance. That is more rewarding than any commission from a sale.

Cons

It is 100% commissioned pay, but what sales job isn't? Think about it. If you don't hit a quota in a salaried sales job, do you keep your job? No. Can you eat if you don't have a job? No. Well, if you don't hit your quota for your individual needs in a 100% commission job, you don't eat either. You must set goals and accomplish them. You won't be fired for not hitting your goals. You will be coached to get better.

If you are strapped for cash when starting your career, take on a part-time job nights and weekends, until you start opening accounts. Too many people have missed out on a great opportunity because they didn't have a steady cash-flow when they first started. The top agent in the state, currently, had a part-time job her first 6 months in the business, and I know a lot of other top producers and managers that did so as well.

Think of this career as being a business owner. In many new businesses it takes a few years to be profitable. This is a business with low startup costs (Licensing, gas, cell phone), that can take off quickly and be profitable in less than two weeks. If it isn't, you have to be patient and keep growing your contacts. It is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a career. If you last 20 years in this business, you can very easily retire a millionaire receiving a monthly renewal check in the thousands for the rest of your life. It is the best 401k plan I know!

The senior management is doing an exceptional job. Our state's focus on attraction of qualified individuals and retention is moving us in the right direction.

The last career I'll ever have

Current Employee - State Training Coordinator  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - State Training Coordinator in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Aflac provides you the opportunity to make unlimited income. The only limit to your success with Aflac is yourself. Most people start this career for the flexibility and freedom which is also the same reason most leave. This business takes discipline, commitment and effort. I have made well over 6-figures the last 5 years, but that type of success is a daily individual choice. This is truly the one career where you dictate your income, future and success. With up-front commissions paid in less than 48 hours, residual income, stock bonuses, and trips around the world, I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Cons

This is not the career for the lazy, unmotivated or undisciplined. People fail because they want the paycheck without putting in the effort. This is one of the only jobs where you will be paid exactly what you are worth. That could look like $5,000 a day or $5 a day, but the good new is-you decide. Many people leave because they learn they aren't worth very much.

Managers are extremely helpful in your development process. They demonstrate everything that is expected and follow-up to ensure you are proficient in core competencies. District, Regional and State leadership all have a vested interest in every level of the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Self motivated will do well. But its not for everyone.

Current Employee - Field Agent  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than a year

Pros

No cap on comission
    Valuable skills to learn
    There are great agents to learn from

Cons

A lot to learn and a lot of investment. Also recommend working a job to sustain while getting business.
    They say anything to recruit people, but do nothing to support them. Plus, as an independent contractor, they may be part of your success;but you are accountable for your failures

People are all different, with different strengths and weaknesses. Aflac management needs to work on leadership. Instead of turn and burn mentality, be a team leader.

great company

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Toledo, OH

I worked at Aflac part-time

Pros

great products, great pay, flexibility

Cons

control of the local territory

keep up the good work

Aflac Feild Sales Insurance Agent

Current Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are your own boss. Supportive training, abundant supplies, great compensation, great product line, incredible incentive trips for production. Great phone support. Ethical, fast paying, great career if you are a self starter and enjoy people.

Cons

You must be self motivated. The first year or 2 are very difficult to acquire enough accounts to support yourself, so you will need to have other means of income until your business gets off the ground. You will use a lot of gas and put a lot of miles on your car.

None

Aflac Global Investments

Former Employee - Investments  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investments in New York, NY

I worked at Aflac as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great mobility within the firm, lot of opportunities for someone ambitious. Management actually wants to develop junior level employees. You can essentially learn whatever you want...be it credit, investments, strategy, risk, etc. Relatively new/small firm (or rather, investment branch of a f500 company) so you can take on as much responsibility as you want or don't want. Your career development is up to you. Lot of intelligent people here who worked in banking, consulting, PE, AM, etc.

Very flexible in terms of what you do on a day to day basis. Great work life balance. No one is expected to work past an hour after the market closes. Very generous with benefits. They pay very well. They even provide you with supplementary insurance. Great office New York office on the 28th floor of 100 Wall Street. Very organized for a company that is so small.

Everyone here is very, very, very hard working and they want to help the company grow. People at the firm knows one another by first name basically...since the firm is less than 100 people. Little (actually no) office politics. You can walk up to senior management and start a conversation with them if you want. People here are in for the long haul. They seem to think this will be their last job (not sure if that's a good thing or a bit morbid).

Everyone loves the duck.

Cons

Firm still in the build out stages. Work can be overwhelming sometimes if you're on a small team.

Excellent

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, NJ

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting and talking to new customers

Cons

Gatekeepers making it difficult to meet with decision makers

Work hard to improve sales

Great workplace.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Springfield, VA

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uncapped commissions. Great hours. Great incentive promotions.

Cons

Cold Calling. No salary. Commissions only. Hard work can overcome all.

They know what they are doing. No advice needed.

Is it as good as they say?

Current Employee - Independent Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Independent Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can set your own work schedule. You are rewarded for your hard work according to your work performance and merits. AFLAC is the only insurance company that is listed on the ethics award. You can make it what you want it to be, by working as an agent or start your own business within an already well established and reputable company.

Cons

Its like winning the lottery, except that you still have to work in order to get paid.

Respect is a two-way street. You have to give it in order to get it.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!