Aflac

Updated December 22, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic, ethical company, people are truly motivated to help you succeed.

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

Time flexibility, set your own schedule, job is what you make it. Huge opportunity to move up in the company. Strong brand recognition, and strong opportunity in communities. The company is growing fast and beats the competition hands down product to product and service to service. Friendly competition within company.

Cons

Takes some time to get started and to see the rewards for your work. There can be some inconsistency in training between different levels but you have to decide for yourself what is important.

Amazing Company to Work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get paid what you are worth. If you work hard, you make a lot of money, but if you are not disciplined, you won't make much.

Cons

If you have the right management team, there are no cons. It is hard work, but so worth it!

Training is critical. Make sure you keep on top of all your agents to insure they get the training they need to be successful. They do a great job in the Fort Myers area.

Good choice for new job seekers

Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture and benefits; growth opportunities. The Company genuinely values diversity and the well-being of its employees. This is demonstrated in various ways through employee engagement surveys and the diversity in managment ranks.

Cons

The Comopany is located in Columbus GA, about 70 miles southwest off ATlanta. This makes it difficualt to recruit top talent or pay a higher premium than would be required in other locations.

None at this time

Better than expected

Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Houma, LA
    Current Employee - District Sales Coordinator in Houma, LA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company! Great co-workers! Great policyholders!

Cons

Bringing a claim check to someone who lost a loved one.

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Agent in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Agent in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

The only US insurance company listed in Ethisphere list of Most Ethical Companies.

Cons

Commission-only (I'm a sales agent.

Aflac Coordinator in Training, with the company about 3 years now."

Current Employee - Coordinator In Training in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Coordinator In Training in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are driven, it is easy to be successful. You just need to be self-disciplined to do the prospecting and networking. We have a saying in Kentucky, that your raise is effective when you are. Your commissions are never capped, so you are the only one that prevents you from making money. The training is phenomenal here in KY. We are well versed in Health Care Reform knowledge and sales techniques. Managers coach you to meet your goals, rather than scold you if you don't hit them. Kentucky's field force is very family oriented and a great group to work for and with. I cannot speak for other state organizations, but I love working for our management team!

Also, Aflac does amazing work for charity. We have a children's hospital in Atlanta that is run by donations made from agents and employees of Aflac.

We help so many people in their times of need through our insurance. That is more rewarding than any commission from a sale.

Cons

It is 100% commissioned pay, but what sales job isn't? Think about it. If you don't hit a quota in a salaried sales job, do you keep your job? No. Can you eat if you don't have a job? No. Well, if you don't hit your quota for your individual needs in a 100% commission job, you don't eat either. You must set goals and accomplish them. You won't be fired for not hitting your goals. You will be coached to get better.

If you are strapped for cash when starting your career, take on a part-time job nights and weekends, until you start opening accounts. Too many people have missed out on a great opportunity because they didn't have a steady cash-flow when they first started. The top agent in the state, currently, had a part-time job her first 6 months in the business, and I know a lot of other top producers and managers that did so as well.

Think of this career as being a business owner. In many new businesses it takes a few years to be profitable. This is a business with low startup costs (Licensing, gas, cell phone), that can take off quickly and be profitable in less than two weeks. If it isn't, you have to be patient and keep growing your contacts. It is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a career. If you last 20 years in this business, you can very easily retire a millionaire receiving a monthly renewal check in the thousands for the rest of your life. It is the best 401k plan I know!

The senior management is doing an exceptional job. Our state's focus on attraction of qualified individuals and retention is moving us in the right direction.

The last career I'll ever have

Current Employee - State Training Coordinator in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - State Training Coordinator in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Aflac provides you the opportunity to make unlimited income. The only limit to your success with Aflac is yourself. Most people start this career for the flexibility and freedom which is also the same reason most leave. This business takes discipline, commitment and effort. I have made well over 6-figures the last 5 years, but that type of success is a daily individual choice. This is truly the one career where you dictate your income, future and success. With up-front commissions paid in less than 48 hours, residual income, stock bonuses, and trips around the world, I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Cons

This is not the career for the lazy, unmotivated or undisciplined. People fail because they want the paycheck without putting in the effort. This is one of the only jobs where you will be paid exactly what you are worth. That could look like $5,000 a day or $5 a day, but the good new is-you decide. Many people leave because they learn they aren't worth very much.

Managers are extremely helpful in your development process. They demonstrate everything that is expected and follow-up to ensure you are proficient in core competencies. District, Regional and State leadership all have a vested interest in every level of the organization.

Self motivated will do well. But its not for everyone.

Current Employee - Field Agent in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Field Agent in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No cap on comission
    Valuable skills to learn
    There are great agents to learn from

Cons

A lot to learn and a lot of investment. Also recommend working a job to sustain while getting business.
    They say anything to recruit people, but do nothing to support them. Plus, as an independent contractor, they may be part of your success;but you are accountable for your failures

People are all different, with different strengths and weaknesses. Aflac management needs to work on leadership. Instead of turn and burn mentality, be a team leader.

great company

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Toledo, OH

I worked at Aflac part-time

Pros

great products, great pay, flexibility

Cons

control of the local territory

keep up the good work

Aflac Feild Sales Insurance Agent

Current Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss. Supportive training, abundant supplies, great compensation, great product line, incredible incentive trips for production. Great phone support. Ethical, fast paying, great career if you are a self starter and enjoy people.

Cons

You must be self motivated. The first year or 2 are very difficult to acquire enough accounts to support yourself, so you will need to have other means of income until your business gets off the ground. You will use a lot of gas and put a lot of miles on your car.

None