Aflac

Updated December 17, 2014
3.1

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • set your own hours, unlimited income potential (in 22 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, no base salary, the bosses will lie about everything (in 30 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Business Process Analyst I in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Business Process Analyst I in Columbus, GA

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

good training in a large spectrum of disciplines, lots of good people to work with

Cons

very long projects, not much free time

keep up the good work

A great company to work for, if you are married or have a secondary source of income.

Former Employee - Associate in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at Aflac full-time

Pros

They provide ongoing training.

Cons

Commission only. Your District Manager can get sidetracked with new people, and when you need more hands on work, may find them MIA.

Great family atmosphere and support system to help everyone have a chance at financial freedom.

Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people every day is fulfilling.

Cons

No base salary. You must work on 100% commissions.

Don't worry about your bonuses so much as to worrying about your agents.

The sales force is in serious trouble and is no longer a place for entrepreneurial opportunity.

Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time

Pros

This company used to be really a good place to work and build a book of business; in fact it was a wonderful place to work. Many independent agents could start and over the years make significant sums of money running into six and seven figures. Added on to this were the renewals and stock one got on top, this was the best insurance business opportunity around, by far. Ordinary people became millionaires working as independent agents. Los Angeles led the country for sales within the continental US for the company. Those were the good old days.

Cons

The enormous success and future potential of more money got the company greedy. Whereas the field force used to have representation within corporate headquarters, things have drastically changed. For example, the Los Angeles state office (top hierarcal field office consisting of multiple regions) started working against it's own independent field force by creating it's own state team that essentially took accounts and opportunities away from it's own regions and districts. Their ambition and greed backfired. Recently, the last founding partner of AFLAC passed away about a month ago. Changes have already taken place and now the state office operations have been converted to W2 status. Essentially, they no longer represent the field since they are now part of corporate! This is as if your local Senator or Congressman stopped being a voice of representation for the people.
    The field force has lost their voice because the state office no longer is a voice for the field agents. This is a bigger calamity than one realizes.

To the state office: you guys were too personally selfish and greedy. In your naked ambition, corporate saw the profits that could be had. But this requires taking commissions away from the field. By making the state offices W2 status, corporate has taken control. The state office set the stage by abusing the powers. You should have respected the field agents. By failing to protect them, you guys have cut off and capped your own personal potential income. The glory days of AFLAC are gone.

Agent

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

Unlimited earnings, product is needed by households, claims paid fast

Cons

Too many field managers, more market competition,

RUN from these crooks!!!!

Current Employee - CIT (Coordinator In Training) in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - CIT (Coordinator In Training) in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- I got out and don't work there anymore

Cons

So I am not one to write a ranting negative review... But seriously if this review helps even just one person from "working" there then it's worth it.

- You don't get paid .. they will feed you this BS about being performance based and what a high commission structure they have when in reality you are making them tons of money and you are doing all the work. I hit all my awards... Fire ball, super fire ball, won iPad.... Like I was GOOD and "promoted" to a CIT quickly. Then I thought about it and being really good I was still only making about 30k/year and working ALL the time and always being stressed.

- They literally hire ANYONE who walks through the door AND you have to pay for your own licensing (about $400) before you are even able to start ... That was the first red flag. They will feed you any and every lie just to get you to sign your contract and "partner" with them. RUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

- Everyone is shady in this company... yes it's sales which is known to be a bit sneaky but AFLAC employees take the cake... Don't trust ANYONE... Not even your super sweet new DSC who seems like they want to help because the second you hurt their quota or show any signs of wanting to take another career path they will take all your accounts and tell you that they belong to AFLAC and you have no jurisdiction. True story.

- You are 10-99 and management will use the line on you that the "first year is the hardest but when renewals and stock start building this will best job you've ever had".... If you don't have charge backs (when YOU owe the company money for ridiculous reasons) or if you don't go broke in that year. Also, since you are technically not an employee you have to file taxes as a contractor and OWE money to the IRS at the end of the year... So this year will be the hardest you've ever worked for the least amount of money AND you will owe money at the end of the year... C'mon people. I feel like such an idiot for falling for it.

- You basically get no training and are told to walk around businesses and try to set appointments with business owners to sell their employees AFLAC policies... And don't get paid for it. It's demoralizing how people treat you and if you are lucky enough to get some people to sign up, now you have to help them with claims, which you also don't get paid for. Did I mention if you enroll anyone over 72 years old you don't even get your commission... Literally you are working for free.

- And lastly, they will tell you all about the "AFLAC millionaire" who is the few who have made big money in this industry, but they will fail to mention that the failure rate is 96%... WHOA!! And, if you actually notice that most the people in the office ... this is their last resort. Either they had a child at 19 and this is the only "professional" job they're qualified, they didn't go to college or they declared bankruptcy and this their "big chance" to change that and make it big. It's honestly depressing.

I'm sad it took me almost two years to realize this company and management are all liars and con-artists. DONT DO IT... PLEASE RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN!!!

STOP LYING!!!! Don't hire anyone who walks through the doors so you get bigger bonuses... You, yes you RSC's ruin people's lives. You should be so ashamed of yourself and you deserve this scumbag company just as much as it deserves you. You all disgust me.

Aflac is a good place to start for some sales experience but very difficult to make a living at.

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a pretty decent training program in the beginning. Nice people and some have become very successful.

Cons

Once you've been through the training you're pretty much on your own. Huge turnover and they are constantly bringing on new people to replace the ones that leave in frustration. Also if an account doesn't pay which is common you will be charged back and you will not be able to get your advanced commissions anymore. Clients get confused about the product and many get buyers remorse.

Work with trying to keep the ones that they've already spent money on training.

Sadly Disappointed, I had high hopes!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Product! I really feel I am helping someone! New products on the horizon are a great opportunity to revisit old leads and upgrade existing business.

Cons

Can't make any money doing this! So far I have seen people try to steal my accounts by going to an existing one and claiming I don't work there anymore. I have had my lead try to steal my biggest account. Other agents steal my ideas and pretty much every place I go to has had 2 or 3 Aflac agents already visit them. You don't have an office so you work from home. Lots of cold calling or door to door. What works for you, but it is a lot running around for little pay. Hold on to your regular job or get an evening job so you don't go broke trying to make this work. Those that make money are the veterans that absorb all those accounts that were opened by new agents that left. That's right! They bank on you failing at our job so they can get your business. Can't take it with you. If you write business and the policy holder cancels you have to pay back the unused commission. Trying to get a different insurance job and finding these jobs are saturated with ex Aflac agents. So sad and disappointed. I want to make a difference and getting more discouraged by the day.

You have a lot of good people wanting to make a difference. You need to try a different sales format to make your agents successful. No base pay with commission? No benefits and no discount on Aflac benefits either. Seriously? Maybe the abandoned accounts can be assigned to the new agents or struggling ones to help them during their trying times. That is how you show your employees they matter. You are there to help those struggling from disease but how about your employees struggling to make a living.

no independent agents make money

Former Employee - Independent Agent in Elmsford, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Elmsford, NY

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

if you get lucky you may land a big account but don't count on it

Cons

all cold calling; stale leads; saturated market; too many reps chasing few remaining open accounts

Have Eyes and Ears Open

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is like owning one's own business. People set their own schedules and work as much as they want. Meeting new people and offering something that will really benefit them is a major plus.

Cons

There are no protected territories. It's uncomfortable to encounter an individual or company that already has Aflac and have them ask, "Don't people in your office talk to each other?" Before considering being an agent, it is highly advisable to have a good chunk of savings and/or a part-time job. Some people make sales right away, but many don't for months on end.

Don't tell people that Aflac is easy to sell. Most people don't think they need insurance, and that is a big hurdle for agents to overcome. The ad campaigns should clearly state that Aflac is supplemental insurance. Many people dismiss sales approaches from the agents because they believe it's just another major medical insurance plan. Consider offering a base salary; not having that doesn't necessarily make people hustle more to sell policies. When money gets very tight, agents will quit to find something that will give them steady paychecks.