Aflac

Aflac Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos

Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

It is a lesson I will take with me

Prosthe people and the perks

Consleadership is poor and most are in the wrong positions. Too many family members

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to listen and not exhert so much positional power

Aflac can be a school for you to grow as a sales person only if you have the right group of connections.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Flexibility
    - You are your own boss
    - Lots of bonuses if you achieve the month sales goal

Cons- Saturated market
    - Basically is only cold calling
    - Hard to close sales because of the product you're selling.
    - Sometimes if you work in an Alfac regional office owned by somebody else, your boss treat you as his slave.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise new employees on what they going to face in this type of job.

I worked at Aflac for 5 years

Agent (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone has heard about Aflac due to their marketing campaigns.
    Products are decently priced and underwriting is fairly simple and lenient.

ConsThe more accounts you have and the more business you write leads to more claims and administrative work on YOUR desk. Little help from the home office and terrible lines of communication throughout the company. A lot of the companies that really saw a need for these products have high turnover and low-wage employees so dont ever count on renewals to bolster your income.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some of the millions used to make another annoying duck commercial to help agents be more efficient in everyday business practices.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for if it works for you but horrible if it doesnt

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood sales training and lots of information is given so you can learn the product.

ConsYoure required to do business with a company laptop so youre pretty much dependent on others until you get your own company laptop. Also the gig is 100% commission so unless you have savings, it'll be a while before you build up enough to make a decent living.

Advice to Senior ManagementBase pay for agents in sales school to help them get by

ok

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosfreedom to work your own schedule.

Constraining not so good and too many agents in the area prospecting the same businesses.

Advice to Senior Managementstop recruiting agents.

Aflac Response

Jun 10, 2014District Coordinator

Unfortunately, we will never be able to stop recruiting new agents for a couple of different reasons. 1) Most agents aren't in it for the long haul. 2) We are required to have a certain number of ... More

Hard work for little reward.

Insurance Agent (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBeing self-employed means that you can set your own hours and days of work.

ConsCold calling. Calling lists shared with a lot of people. Little initial training. Old methods of trying to build a book of business. Contract terminated if you don't sell a certain amount of business per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy fewer people and invest in better training from the outset.

HR/Marketing Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDeveloped and gained experience working in an office setting.

ConsThis was a unpaid internship :(

The company and the upper management are spectacular!

AFLAC Field Sales Agent (Current Employee) Greeneville, TN

ProsLike running your own business! You can truly build your own empire.
    Great work / life balance
    Good pay structure and stock plan
    Lots of brand recognition!

ConsBe prepared to go a short time with no income coming in. Your first sale may take a few weeks.
    The trainers on a local level may not be equipped to Train... just because they made a bunch of sales, doesn't mean they are a good trainer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind your people who have a gift at training and motivating others, and make them salaried trainers!

Potential is great, if you have the right guidance.

Independent Agent Representing Aflac (Sales) (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsYou can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential. No cap on earnings, and you can build your own team by recruiting new agents.

ConsThis is great for someone who doesn't need any guidance or structure. If you're used to going through a training program when you start with a new company, you won't get that here. Not unless you've been recruited by a very hands on manager. If you're new to insurance, or cold calling, I don't advise it.

I had a wonderful work and personal relationship with all the agents. We cared for each other.

Regional Administrative (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsMy manager was flexible if time was needed let me work the hours I preferred to meet my home schedule

ConsYou're working as an independent person. My job was to keep my manager work flow moving and assist in any way I could.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing I was the only salaried person benefits would have been good along with paid vacation.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!