Aflac Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014

Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos
Dan Amos

Pros
  • You can set your own hours, work from virtually anywhere, and there is unlimited income potential (in 20 reviews)

• Management is very engaged with making sure that employees maintain a good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No base salary or ramp up funds to help beginners, training is not so great (in 24 reviews)

• lack of initial support - but it's like any 100% commission job: "you reap what you sow" (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Turned loose with no training and set up to fail.

Former Employee - Independent Agent  in  North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in North Platte, NE

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You have a lot of freedom to work your own schedule and earnings potential is uncapped if you have the discipline to do the work.

Cons

The was very little training and support, at least from the district office that I was associated with. They just kind of turned me loose and I often was not even able to reach the District Sales Coordinator if I had a question. They just hire as many people as they can and see who sticks because since it is 100% commission from day 1 and they don't take any real time to train you, the turnover does not cost them monetarily. They also turn to many people loose in the same area and you end up all working the same potential customers.

Take the time to hire the right people and train them properly. It may cost a little more in the beginning but it will pay off in the long run.

You will learn from it but probably not make much money

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gain sales knowledge/experience, cold-calling experience

Cons

Insurance agents get a bad wrap because companies such as Aflac are too aggressive when it comes to selling and over-saturate small areas with too many agents who keep approaching the same companies too frequently. Also if sales fall through, you end up owing back those commissions. Not fun when it is about a year later and all of a sudden you owe a few hundred bucks because your manager pushed a sale too hard when a client did not want it.

More organization, paid training, improved training

SCAM, it is a pyramid scam that only makes money for the upper management. high turn over rate will COST you money

Former Employee - Aflac Sales  in  Springdale, AR
    Former Employee - Aflac Sales in Springdale, AR

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you know a lot of ppl in an unsaturated area (good luck finding one) you might make a few dollars. You can kind of make your own hours, but must work a lot.

Cons

it's basically a scam, I would run far and fast!! hard on your car too

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You need another source of income to supplement Aflac income

Current Employee - Aflac Agent  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Aflac Agent in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good products that really help people.

Cons

Without good management, new agents will most likely fail before they get to year 2. Being paid commission only is a real hardship for many agents.

None

Misleading Expectations Established in Hiring

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You are paid promptly.
    Corporate has provided good educational tools.
    Commissions are an open book, you can see what others are making (just that no one ever refers to it or teaches you how to do the math).

Cons

Nepotism ruins all levels of the sales network.
    The focus on achieving metrics overwhelms ethics in delivery.
    Management of salesforce tends to over-promise and under-deliver by focusing on the potential and avoiding the reality of the day.
    Local management training practices have poisoned the market by throwing agents to the field too soon with too little training and no on-going training.

Follow Eric's advice: eliminate half the SSC's; two-thirds the RSC's and one-third the DSC's
    Would have multiple state trainers at the regional level on a part-time basis.

All the Show no action

Former Employee - Independent Agent  in  Central Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in Central Valley, NY

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You are your own boss to a degree.

Cons

Basically, if you are not in a financial position to have no money coming in while you sit on the phone and go door to door everyday, then this is not the job for you. Even though they boost in the interview and when your hired how your District Manager is there to help you close deals, they are not. I provided leads to two managers that I did not want to directly contact, both managers never followed up with me never told me if they contacted the lead and if anything happened with it. The give you a rope and let you hang on it by yourself, then after two years if production is down they threaten to cut you. Which they did and then three months later send a bill for 50.00, which when you have no money coming in, don't know how they want that paid.

You spend at least 1 million in advertising which has to result in people calling in interested in getting policies, how about passing those on to new agents starting out giving then a source of income off the bat, instead of slapping new agents on the back and sending them on their way,

AFLAC is a constantly revolving door of agents...

Current Employee - Independent Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Aflac full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand recognition is enormous. Products are excellent.

Cons

Too much cold calling to aggravated HR people who are constantly harassed by AFLAC agents because of the constantly revolving door. Management at the top of the pyramid want accounts and they don't care if the agent lasts three days or three years. It's all a numbers game with little concern for the agents.

Change the paradigm! Stop allowing State Offices to hire anyone breathing. Hire and invest in committed, professional, intelligent agents. Leave Columbus and all the sports fanatical men with Southern drawls and pay attention to the rest of the country and the people who are shoveling money to your bottom line. Brokers are not the key to AFLAC survival, agents are!

Great company, 100% commission is tough.

I worked at Aflac

Pros

Flexible schedule. Total autonomy. Not in an office all day. Room for advancement.

Cons

All compensation is 100% commission. Very difficult during slow months. You must be able to survive with no income some months.

A base salary would be nice and could help avoid turnover.

It's true about residual income

Former Employee - District Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - District Sales Coordinator

I worked at Aflac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked very hard for three years with Aflac and I'm still reaping the benefits even three years after I quit.

Cons

Cold calling is a tough way to make a living. They package it in many different ways...but cold calling is still cold calling!

Pay attention to the ones who do the majority of the work...remember the 20% who put food on your table!

Tough but Rewarding

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Flexible work hours, ability to provide products to people which genuinely help people, strong brand recognition
    Side note, an agent's experience will vary from region to region. If you are in a region where your DSC and RSC will help you, your ability to get the ball rolling will be a lot more smooth.

Cons

You are paid through commission so if you are not willing to put in the hard work to reach out to people, you will not see the reward.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!