Afni

Updated November 24, 2014
2.7

Afni CEO Ron Greene
Ron Greene

Pros
  • Managment always shows appreciation with fun BBQ and flexible schedules (in 10 reviews)

• Community Involvement and work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • there's very little opportunity for advancement (in 7 reviews)

• A call center (or web chat center) is the modern day sweat shop (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Project sales Coach

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly environment, some great agents and coaches their PTO/SICK are some of the best I have ever seen. I feel I got good experience on how the game works.

Cons

all the way up the line favoritism took place from coaches liking agents, to ops managers liking certain coaches.

spend more time on the call floor

Doesn't care about employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Afni full-time (less than an year)

Pros

lots of awesome people
    choice in schedule
    internal growth if you care enough
    lots of different projects if you get bored with any of them

Cons

training is absolutely awful and the computers don't work
    tedious, boring work that is not exciting
    constalntly getting yelled at by customers
    nit pick about minutes on your time, 12 minute breaks

Find a way to motivate employees, and give longer breaks

Terrible terrible place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Afni full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about this job was that it paid well for a call center position, and you got paid time and a half for working holidays.

Cons

Everything else!
    -HORRIBLE strict attendance policy! I missed work one day because I got into a car accident and went to the ER with a bleeding kidney. I even called my supervisor and let him know the situation. When I came back, I got threatened with a write-up for "unauthorized time off."
    -The company itself is Afni, but we took calls for Verizon Wireless customers. Employment started with a five-week training during which we learned the bare basics about Verizon's policies, devices, and plans. But people would call in thinking that they'd get to talk to a real Verizon employee who knew the ins and outs of the company, and we weren't those people. This often caused frustration when we couldn't answer a question or solve an issue that a "real" Verizon employee would have been able to.
    -The training is a total joke. Don't let the time allotment of 40 hours a week for five weeks fool you into thinking that you're going to get a thorough preparation for hitting the call floor. My class spent maybe two total hours learning material each day. The rest of the time was spent socializing, playing "icebreaker games" (even in week five), and generally goofing off. Our instructor was always going off topic and acting like one of the students himself. I'm of the type who likes working for what I earn, so sometimes I actually felt guilty that we were getting paid ten dollars an hour just to sit around and do nothing. We spent about five total hours the entire five weeks listening in on other reps' calls, maybe another three to four hours making practice calls to each other, and that was it. You're basically thrown to the wolves and learn most of the job as you go.
    -Cliques form fast at this place. Everyone loves to act like they're still in high school, especially during training when it's a classroom setting. A lot of the young women in my class banded together and purposefully excluded me from everything, making it clear that they just didn't like me. They formed deep friendships and were hanging out outside of work within a week of starting training, but I left this job with maybe two or three mere acquaintances that I haven't been in any contact with since I left. And I don't mind. They totally weren't my crowd. If you enjoy catty drama and a work environment that's just like high school regurgitated, maybe it's your crowd.
    -I lasted two months, and that includes training. I left this place for a part-time fast food job if that says anything.

I know your attendance polices are precious, and I know that unexpectedly having only 299 call reps one day instead of the expected 300 does major lasting damage to everyone involved, but please stop writing up employees for missing work one time due to an EMERGENCY. Especially if they call in. I go to work sick, sleep-deprived, you name it. But when my car's totaled and my kidney's bleeding, I'm taking the day off to go to the hospital, thank you.

Customer Sales Representative

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Afni full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Will employ almost anybody regardless of age, sex, creed, disabilities or appearance.
    Employees are generally very easygoing and great people
    Random on site moral building
    Preferred promotion within the company (if they like you regardless of performance)

Cons

No investment in keeping employees happy
    Bonuses are cut every time sales go up, so if many people perform and get high bonuses the next month will have a changed bonus structure. In my experience I used to make $3000 of bonus when I first signed up and at my departure I was making $75 as a bonus with more work than before
    Salary increases are laughable, after 6 months you can make an extra $0.24 per hour
    Only certain people are promoted, regardless of experience or ability
    If you are great at your task, forget about a promotion...you will be too good to be taken out of that position
    There is such a high turn over rate that they do not care about people leaving, they will not care about your personal issues.
    They claim work life balance, yet do their best to prevent a life outside of Afni
    Benefits are expensive, we are talking $300 for a family of three and about $80 for a single male.....per pay period

When someone has proven their worth, move them up the chain they can teach others to be better and reduce the huge attrition rates.

Not bad, great learning experience, you can move up easily but pay is lower than average

Current Employee - Project Coach in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, advancement opportunity, bonus pay, good benefits. You can move up fairly easily and use that title to get the same job at another company for more money. Schedules are pretty flexible which is good, especially for those going to school. Also, there is a decent tuition reimbursement program. Also, don't believe all the horror stories. This, like any job, is entirely dependent on what you put into it. If you try hard and actually come to work, you'll have a great experience. If you choose to not show up and not do what's needed, you can expect to move through the accountability process. It always amazes me how people rate companies poorly that simply held them accountable for their poor work ethic and lack of discipline. Just silly!

Cons

Stressful work environment, less than favorable hours of operation, lower pay than a non-outsourced call center, clients place unreasonable demands on the center that are technically not achievable.

Nov 21, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and positive representation about all the benefits to working for Afni.
    Afni is always striving to meet our clients/customers’ demands. Through hard work and team work we
    ... More

Company had nothing but cons.

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's JUSt "ok pay" if you don't have any kids.

Cons

The management is horrible, you have NO HOLIDAYS OFF whatsoever, there is zero time between calls, any breaks you take will be met with reprimand. Supervisors/Coachs are all a joke, it's a game to them, if you're in a hold they yell across the room to hurry it up and get off the call not keeping the customers best mind at interest. Working for the company was a nightmare and i would never tell any of my friends to join this job ever.

Spend more time and money on the people who are on the phones making YOU'RE company money otherwise your attrition will continue to be horrible.

Easy job but environment not for me.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Afni full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is really good for customer service. The benefits are really good as well. The training offered really gives you a good base for using the system.

Cons

The management is really disorganized, schedule is not very flexible. There is not enough floor support, equipment was constantly down / not working.

Look for ways to improve from your representatives rather than just experimenting new policies and then removing them when they do not work out.

Oct 17, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate insight into how current employees view the overall job and their colleagues. Since we are a large company with many clients’ policies and procedures can ... More

CSR

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex time, PTO, ability to change your shift and days off. Some of the couches were cool, sometimes free pizza and stuff. Break and lunch flexibility.

Cons

The job itself. Rude customers, computers and call manager not working. Every night at eight systems updated so you couldn't do anything. I also didn't like the pay. It was $9 an hour, when many other call centers in Tucson are $10 - $12 an hour. It was also very difficult to change positions, or reach bonus.

Nov 21, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. At Afni, we assist a wide variety of customers with many different needs. Since we have such a large client/customer base we must keep our system operational at all times ... More

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was comprehensive 5 weeks paid. Did a good job of introducing the work before you hit to floor. Excellent attention to rookie agents. Fairly flexible with scheduling. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Quality is rated on call handle time and customer satisfaction survey which means that you will spend a lot of time dealing with outraged clients who were rushed off the phone and lied to about their issues so the previous rep could pass their survey. If honesty and customer service are things you value this will be a stumbling block you may never get over at AFNI. Employee morale is the worst I have ever seen. 70+% attrition yearly. I have never worked with so many people who hate their job before.

Stop trying to shift the blame for the company's failings onto its agents. Stop restructuring teams and reconfiguring score card on a monthly basis. View your employees as individuals and not pluses or minuses to your personal bonus.

Typical call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Afni full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part of the job was the flexibility. When I needed to, I was usually able to switch my day off as long as I didn't it more than once a month. They did a good job of easing new employees into the job instead of jumping into the deep end.

Cons

During certain parts of the day, there are no supervisors to be found. That makes it very frustrating for when an unusual call needs additional help or customer is insisting on speaking with a supervisor or when supervisor approval is needed.

Reward perfect attendance. Poor attendance hurts the call center but perfect attendance is not rewarded.

Oct 7, 2014

Hi there,
    I am glad that you enjoyed working for Afni and continue to recommend us to friends. We do pride ourselves in offering something that few call centers in Tucson offer; flexible schedules
    ... More