AgFirst

AgFirst CEO Tim Amerson

Tim Amerson

Great Company!

ProsGreat Benefits,Employees are nice and friendly..Professional Growth

ConsPressure from management..wish they would interact more

Great company!

I have been working at AgFirst

ProsFriendly people! Company values its employees.

ConsReally can't think of anything.

Used to be great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Columbia, SC

I worked at AgFirst full-time for more than a year

ProsThe medical benefits are great and worth the stress and headaches you have to put up with seven days a week. The deductibles are low which is great seeing as you will soon be diagnosed with anxiety, psychological problems and be on a ton of medications.

ConsEverything else. I cant speak for anything other than IT. If you are in project management, application design, database administration, server admnistration, security or anything other than cleaning the toilets this place SUCKS!. It is a sweatshop and 60 hour work weeks that run 7 days are normal and expected.

Professional, friendly enviornment.

Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
Columbia, SC

I have been working at AgFirst as an intern for less than a year

ProsLaid back atmosphere with very nice people. Office location is great and they are very flexible with interns during both the summer and school year.

ConsDespite how nice everyone is, there is little networking or communication among others that are not in your department.

Great place to work

I have been working at AgFirst full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees care about their jobs and each other. Definitely a "family" atmosphere. Pay is competitive and benefits are great. Business is well-managed and should consider to prosper.

ConsCommunication between departments can be poor at times. Some recent changes to senior management may turn out to be bad decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid "silos" as the company continues to grow.

Favortism City

I have been working at AgFirst full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and in general a good culture where senior management shows genuine concern for and support for their employees. Company is very stable as well.

ConsSome managers show extreme favoritism, while others show zero interest in the development of their employees. Long-standing social 'niches' make it very difficult for new employees and especially contractors to feel included.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate those in middle-management positions. Have a few employees held their positions for years while newbie's/contractors tend to come-and-go like a revolving door? Then you have a favortism issue. It's not difficult to spot, but only if you know to look.

One of the friendliest environments to work in imaginable!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AgFirst full-time for less than a year

ProsAgFirst puts a high value on its employees' lives by being as flexible and accommodating as possible. The people are unfailingly polite, and the environment feels more like a family than anything else. The benefits are also incredibly strong. Just the sheer amount of employees who have stuck around for 20 or even 30 years is amazing and a testament to the company.

ConsThe building has character but is a little outdated. Hopefully the new one will modernize things without making things overly bland.

A Deep South mentality - not a compliment

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at AgFirst full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent benefits compared to other employers in the area

ConsA very deep south employer that is proud of diversity but diversity here means having a few workers from different countries - that's where it ends. Not much respect from managers or between employees.

Fun company to be a part of...

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at AgFirst full-time for more than a year

ProsAgfirst offers good flexibility, decent growth opportunities and excellect benefits. IT department is growing quickly relative to the rest of the company. New ideas / strategies will be heard, but like any older business it takes a while to gain acceptance.

ConsThere are a fair amount of employees who have been here for 15+ years who seem to think "because it's always been that way" is an adequate excuse for everything. Size of the company (about 350) can limit opportunities to move into management,

Advice to Senior ManagementIf AgFirst really wants to begin to compete outside it's narrow niche of agribanking, start by considering completely different mentalities/methodologies. JAD Sessions, Scrum Masters, more flexible working remotely opportunities. Look to commercial competitors for ideas, not at system built in house years ago. Ditch the current business case process and start from scratch with innovation and your current work force in mind.

Weird atmosphere with a lot of condescension from upper and middle management and favored employees.

Database Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at AgFirst

ProsSome good benefits; Pay was fairly good

ConsLots of favoritism for certain employees; Not much efficiency because of terrible communication between all employees and departments; Saw a lot of backstabbing behavior going on; Coworkers were very artificial. Not much consistency in policies since middle managers are given a lot of leeway.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO seems like a good leader but can't say much for the other leaders in the company. Big egos for a small company.

Worked for AgFirst? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AgFirst reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AgFirst CEO Tim Amerson. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by AgFirst employees.