Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.
www.akdn.org Washington, DC

Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. Reviews

Updated Nov 20, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dr. Mirza Jahani

Rewarding Volunteer Work

Schools Outreach Lead (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. part-time for more than a year

ProsThe work that I got to do with this organization was very rewarding. They raise money to end global poverty. I was part of the schools outreach team. The schools initiative was in its' second year at the time. It was challenging to establish a name for the schools outreach team among the local community but I enjoyed the challenge. I had immense support from my team. By the end of my term we not only reach but surpassed our goal of having 20 schools as an active part of the initiative.

ConsDepending on your role the responsibilities can become a bit overwhelming at times. I had a regional role so that meant a lot had to be done in a somewhat short amount of time. Although, if you are passionate about ending global poverty then the lack of sleep/social life/work-personal life balance won't phase you.

good entry level positions

I have been working at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.

Prosgreat networking atmosphere, friendly staff, some professional growth

Consshort turn over, people change constantly, internal politics can affect daily routine

Advice to Senior Managementto take more professional stance, politics of the organization should not affect every single employee

Could be so much better.

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time

ProsIt's a great place for a young person, just out of university or MA degree to get development experience for 2 years, then use that as a launching point for an overseas posting or into a larger company or NGO. The organization is known for good work, so it can be a resume-enhancer. Since staff is small, you get to know the project management process at all levels, which serves you well when you go to a different organization. Management staff did try to provide growth opportunities to staff who were interested, and that was appreciated.

ConsAll of these comments relate to the situation when I left, so there may have been changes. The staff is small, resulting in overwork and a lack of mobility. There is a significant lack of transparency at all levels of the organization that hampers its ability to effectively implement projects and anticipate the future, as well as run the organization using nonprofit best practices. Salaries and benefits are on average lower than other similar NGOs, and while management was addressing those issues, the process was incomplete. There is a significant level, or at least a signification perception, of favoritism between managers and certain staff, contributing to low morale, favoritism was salary-related and workload-related (i.e. higher salaries and small workloads for the favorites). There is high turnover, although for a variety of reasons, some due to the nature of the industry. The management focuses on each little nickel and dime, and misses the larger picture (penny wise, pound foolish). There is a lack of legal and financial oversight that is troublesome; junior staff are reviewing and revising legal documents with little qualified review.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Stop preferential treatment. Hire good people, not people who fit a certain box. Don't be afraid to hire (and keep) people who will tell you things you might not want to hear, as it will be good for the organization in the long-run.

Not very professional

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time

ProsA lot of chance to learn new things and skills. Health insurance and things like that were good, and some of the assistants and associate staff are a lot of fun. Some people who work on the programs get to travel, but otherwise not.

ConsThe senior management are not empowered and not very good. Only the CEO and CFO have any authority. Hierarchy and social standing mean a lot here. The staff burn out quite quickly, salaries are all over the place but on the whole pretty low, woman who work here are likely to notice some sexism from management. There's no HR either.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, transparent and respectful to your staff.

Politics, Religion and Family/Community Connections Reign Over This Foundation

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great place for recent college graduates to get a year or two experience in international development. In some departments you are able to learn a lot/gain new skills depending on how you manage the "dicey political waters" at the Foundation. At times it is a fun, engaging, demanding work environment and you get to go home knowing you are working for a great cause.

ConsDuring my time at the Foundation I saw some employees leave bitter and resentful. If you take a job - try to keep a distance from the politics that run rampant here but also develop positive relations with managers and co-workers. Never forget that how your direct line manager (and upper management) views your work/person will dramatically effect your salary increases and promotions. Also, if you want to do well here turn a blind eye to the family/community connections that seem to permeate throughout the entire Aga Khan Development Network. Lastly, expect to see quick turnovers, a lack of transparency and some eye rolling moments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are organizations that solely focus on helping international development organizations improve performance and achieve business results. Put aside the time and money that will be needed to actually obtain results.

Field staff are very passionate and hard-working, senior management can be tricky.

I worked at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. full-time

ProsDedicated staff in the country office.

ConsSenior management at the country office can be bad and there are no checks and balances to keep them in line.

Worked for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. CEO Dr. Mirza Jahani. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Aga Khan Foundation U.S.A. employees.