Agate Software

Timothy C. Pearl

Exceptional

Current Employee - Programmer in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Programmer in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at this company for over 5 years and have been given opportunities that other companies can't provide. I'm able to make a difference and contribute to the company's success. I get to directly interact with clients and help them achieve their goals. I'm not just a face in the crowd. Work ethic is highly valued! People who legitimately try, see first hand what impact they have. I also get to help solve problems instead of handing them off to someone else and have them take all the credit.

Cons

Like all work places you get coworkers that complain. The bad ones try to bring the rest of us down with their selfish agendas. But when you pay attention to what they say and their motivation behind it, they really just care about themselves and not the company as a whole. Their just not good team players.

Thanks for all the extras that you do, it makes this a fun place to work. Also, it helps us know you appreciate what we do.

Good for experience, but move on once you've got it

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you need to bone up on SQL, this is a good place to spend a year or so. The application is SQL heavy in configuration, but there are few good developers, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to bug-fix stored procedures and business objects, or just write them yourself if you want them done on time and right. Also good for learning some project/time management skills, since you'll be loaded down with work and expected to just handle it. There are definitely good people working here, figure out who they are and get on their team/assign them work orders. If you can self-manage you'll do good here, but the workload just piles on so keep home-work balance healthy, you're not going to get anything for that extra 10-15 hours a week.

Cons

There's little support from management, even if you bring issues to them and they promise to resolve them. Really low pay considering the hours expected. Complete lack of development and project management methodology. They will talk about internal development and documenting processes, but won't give you the time do it, since it's non-billable. They bill clients for bug-fixes, which just seems under-handed to me, since it's a deficiency in quoted work. If they want to promote you they'll add new responsibilities to see "if you can handle them" before they give the promotion and small raise that accompanies the new responsibilities, this can go on for over a year without the actual promotion. Some new employees were kept on probation for over a year with no benefits or PTO.

Realize your employees are an investment, other companies in the area actually look for Agate on a resume because they know you paid to train them and give them lots of experience, but aren't paying them what they're worth with that experience and training. Every job offer I got paid 20-30% more, and I almost doubled my salary within a year once I worked for a company who actually recognized the time, skills, and dedication of their employees.

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

Agate's mission is to provide industry leading products, on time, with exceptional customer service and first time quality. There are times where we fall short on quality, but we do not charge our ... More

This place is a joke.

Current Employee - Configuration Specialist in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Configuration Specialist in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for a technical job, Agate Software is a pretty easy place to get into. They also bring in food for us from time to time. Every company does that these days, but it's something right?

Cons

Fresh out of college, I accepted an entry level position as a "Configuration Specialist" with the simple goal of attaining some beginners experience. Frankly, there isn't much to be gained here. Unless you're a programmer, they unload junk-work onto you. And even the programmers aren't respected or paid well enough. Also, the solo five star review for this company dating October 18, 2012 is planted by one of the higher ups. I even watched him do it, and he isn't who I'd call a "Programmer."

The management isn't just overly strict. They are down-right disrespectful. I'd recommend some attitude adjustments, or you'll be needing to plant a few more phony reviews.

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

It is unfortunate that this particular team member feels this way, that Agate Software is "a joke". I suppose you can't make everyone happy. We have over 50 team members total, in two different ... More

Lots of Opportunity but little recognition or reward

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I worked at Agate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to expand in your field are abundant, but that is to be expected with a small company.

Cons

Too much work, not enough employees. Management looks to bring in money before investing in its products and much of the company is run completely backwards. Employees aren't appreciated (at least to their faces) even when putting in extra time and effort. Required to work 45 hours per week. Compensation is not competitive and the benefits are almost nonexistent. High turn-over.

Invest in your company, your people and your products. Employees are replaceable but talent and experience is not.

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

Agate Software does not require our team members to work 45 hour weeks...Most of our team members are salary and we provide opportunities to work around appointments and schedules each week, but ask ... More

Hard work equals opportunity!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Agate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since I started working at Agate Software I have always been given the opportunity to make a difference. From day one the environment had been fun and helpful to my career goals. The people for the most part are kind and willing to help, A few weeks ago one of the management team members came up and gave me a $100 gift card to a local store. He claimed it was for going above and beyond the normal job requirements. For the record I still don't know what I did that was so great but it was much appreciated. Since then I have realized that they do this sort of thing all the time. That type of stuff makes people happy.

Cons

There are always things to not like about your job but the only thing that comes mind is every company has a few bad eggs that seem to make it hard for the rest. I can tell you that Agate has had a few but we seem to moving forward without those distractions.

Keep giving out the gift cards!! Thank you for the opportunity.

Meh

I worked at Agate Software

Pros

There was exposure to lots of different areas of the development world. If you were able to communicate with the customers, there was also the ability to dabble in project management.

Taught me to value a boss who's not a megalomaniac.

Cons

Be at your desk by 8:30 or be prepared to spend the next half an hour getting chewed out. Don't count on you working late the night before being an acceptable excuse either.

Good as a learning grounds, but I'm dissatisfied with the perks or appreciation I receive for having done a good job

I have been working at Agate Software

Pros

Good for a learning ground for beginners straight out of college. Being a small company gives you a lot of growth opportunities personally.

Cons

Does not provide enough appreciation for the good job performed. The work style at Agate reminds me a little of when I was back in school with strict rules and times that I need to be at work.

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

Agate Software has grown some since this post, both in size and organization structure. Under our current structure with 5-6 people assigned to a Team Leader and Team Leaders reporting to the ... More

Not Impressed

I worked at Agate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It’s a good place to get a year or two of experience and move on.

Cons

It’s run very much like manufacturing type of company. Management doesn’t respect its employee’s and tells people they are all “replaceable”. Be at work before 8am and must stay until 5pm, no exception. Must work 45 hours a week. Overall, just not very impressed with the management and how they treat employees. I’ve never seen a company with such little management experience and so disconnected trying to run a company. For the people that are still there, I hope the company doesn’t fail, but the direction they are going it’s hard to say. There really aren’t many good things to say about company and a lot of things the company could do better. It's not a company to stay at for more than a year or two.

You need to learn how to treat employees better. People will continue to leave if you can't figure this out and be competitive in the market.

Oct 16, 2014Human Resources Manager

Most likely this former employee would not say it's run like a Manufacturing job today. But let's be honest, we are manufacturing a product (a software) but it's still a product and we have to ... More